Price Range - $400 USD
Styles - Pop punk (blink 182, sum 41)
Preferably used
I dont have an amp yet, I will look into that.
I dont really like Ibanez.
Would an MIM P Bass suit me best? Or is there others I should try?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Quote by jakesc8
Price Range - $400 USD
Styles - Pop punk (blink 182, sum 41)
Preferably used
I dont have an amp yet, I will look into that.
I dont really like Ibanez.
Would an MIM P Bass suit me best? Or is there others I should try?

There are others to suit you, but a used MiM P is the very first thing that jumps to mind, and you can get one cheap enough to have cash left over for a new pickup, bridge, etc. if you feel so inclined. It's a traditional instrument for the role, but with $400 you can also customize it a bit to your liking and give it a pro set up (if you're not comfy doing it yourself) as well.
400 is my max. What about the SVM P Basses? I hear that when you upgrade them with the money saved from MIM, they blow the MIMs away.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

I just got a SVM P bass.

There was no MIM in GC that even came close.

Tabdog
In this order:

1. Squier VM P
2. Squier CV P (usually i'd choose the CV above the VM, but the VM 70's style is a liiiittle nicer for pop-punk)
3. MiM P
4. SX P

Again, though... try out every used bass you can get your hands on.

I play pop-punk, myself. Every year we play a few of the big fests (Insub Fest, F-Yeah Fest, Gainesville Fest, NY Pop-Fest, etc etc) and i'm a HUGE bass nerd... so i'm always looking at the bassists and what they're playing.

To be 110% honest... the P bass thing is so beyond over-done i almost hate them (for pop-punk at least). I MUCH rather enjoy it when the bassists use something 'weird'. Not only for aesthetics, but the P-bass tone is also over done in pop punk. Different basses and their unique tones can bring a LOT to a band.

So yeah, dude... go to a pawn-shop or used place and try out ANYTHING. Buy what feels right and sounds good to YOU.

FWIW: Depending on my mood, in my pop-punk band, i'll play either of my; modded Squier Bronco ($125 total bass+mods), '82 Peavey T-20 ($120), '97 MiM Jazz ($300 w/nice upgrades), or '95 Ibanez ATK300 ($100).

I've seen everything from P basses and jazzes... to Mosrites and Rics... to Stingrays and Peaveys... to an Iceman and a Ritter... you REALLY can use any bass.

*so long as it's played through an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 (j/k )
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Last edited by Din of Win at May 31, 2011,
Thanks, I was thinking about the overuse of Fender basses. I just don't know what else is out there.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

They are overused cause they do sound good and look good, but what din said is true, any bass can fit any sound, you might have to adjust a bit, but it will work. Right now I really want a bronco and a burns marquee or bison bass
If you're in the US theres a used MIM P on ebay for about $300 after shipping, grab that, throw in a new pickup and you'd be set
It's a bit like saying a hammer is overused by people who want to bash nails in. It's just the best tool for the job. A Stingray would be an awesome alternative but not at that budget, obviously. Maybe try an ATK?
Quote by smb
It's a bit like saying a hammer is overused by people who want to bash nails in. It's just the best tool for the job. A Stingray would be an awesome alternative but not at that budget, obviously. Maybe try an ATK?

Every bass can be the hammer, just need to find what you want to hit nails (people) with physically and more important sonically. If you really don't want that P look, consider the new Jaguar basses from Squier, one even has a Stringray style pickup at the bridge with an active EQ, you might need to change the preamp some day, but you'd have a unique looking bass with a tried and true configuration
One of those behringer yokes. You did say punk.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
P should do it for punk. I got a used MIM P bass for 300, I upgraded the bridge, but I still have the stock pickup, I actually like how it sounds, but I may upgrade it in the future for something ceramic as well.
Last edited by Rice_Pilot at May 31, 2011,
Quote by jakesc8
Thanks, I was thinking about the overuse of Fender basses. I just don't know what else is out there.

My guess Fender basses are the closest thing you can get to a guitar in the bass department
Im not a fan of the Ibanez basses, or guitars. They aren't aesthetically pleasing to me. I Know there is more to instruments than aesthetics, but I dont want to play something I dont like the look of. I like the VMs. But are the CVs better?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

They're not much different. It's a case of trying them out and seeing if you find paying that little bit extra is justified.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by dullsilver_mike
There are others to suit you, but a used MiM P is the very first thing that jumps to mind, and you can get one cheap enough to have cash left over for a new pickup, bridge, etc. if you feel so inclined. It's a traditional instrument for the role, but with $400 you can also customize it a bit to your liking and give it a pro set up (if you're not comfy doing it yourself) as well.

+1 You can never go wrong with a P Bass or Strat if you're not sure what you want
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by tabdog
I just got a SVM P bass.

There was no MIM in GC that even came close.

Tabdog

Swap out the bridge with a Babicz or a Quan Badass II and you're set. Very nice-looking bass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
What about the Epiphone Thunderbird IV? They look pretty nice.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Quote by jakesc8
What about the Epiphone Thunderbird IV? They look pretty nice.

If you're interested in the T bird, go try one. If you fall in love with it and can make the sound work, more power to you. Epi doesn't have the greatest rep, and the T bird isn't exactly the best designed bass, so unless you feel like you really-really-really-love-it-gotta-have-it, then you'd be better off with just about any other bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Jun 1, 2011,
Oh. alright. What about the Rondomusic SX ursa basses? I thought I could by that, and spend some money to learn to set up a guitar, and know the inner workings of one, by modifying the whole thing with new pickups, new pots, new bridge, new tuners, the whole enchilada.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

those things are amazing modding platforms. they have really solid construction and are cheap. a very good route if you plan on modding it.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by the_perdestrian
those things are amazing modding platforms. they have really solid construction and are cheap. a very good route if you plan on modding it.

+1
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I went to GC today, tried the VM and the MiM fender. I preferred the VM. Thanks guys.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Quote by jakesc8
I went to GC today, tried the VM and the MiM fender. I preferred the VM. Thanks guys.

As did I,

It's a no-brainer,

Tabdog
Last edited by tabdog at Jun 2, 2011,
Have you modified your modified p bass at all?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Quote by JD2k9
How about a used Mark Hoppus jazz?

If you want to play poppunk along the lines of blink it's very very hard to beat this for doing so. Other wise just a P-bass of some kind is also a good bet.
Quote by hotcod32
If you want to play poppunk along the lines of blink it's very very hard to beat this for doing so. Other wise just a P-bass of some kind is also a good bet.

It's Just a P bass shaped like a Jazz, a P just provides that beefy filling sound that takes up the space in the mix with the usual punk power trio very well. The dirnt bass in an idea, but if your not wanting that preteen star on the body, consider the squier lake placid blue '51 P bass, a guy in the local band The Sword uses one.