So, I currently have a 4x12 cab and it gets PRETTY loud at high tube volumes but I requires this cranked up state for proper recordings. I was considering switching to a 2x12 or potentially a 1x12.

My question is, if i make this switch and run the amp at the same master as the 4x12, the volume will be lower I suppose (it won't be as loud) but will the recording quality suffer?
I'm wondering about this myself, I mean since it's only one speaker that's being mic'd you'd think it wouldn't matter.
It probably sounds louder and fuller to you with a 4x12 because when you're beside it, regardless of the mic.. it's 4 speakers pumping air at you. If you mic just one speaker it probably picks up some bleed from the other 3 but not much.. To you a 1x12 will sound much quiter but the recording may actually end up cleaner because theres no bleed from the other 3 speakers, unless you desire that effect.
Sparrow Twangmaster Telecaster
G&L Legacy Stratocaster

Korg Pitchblack > Fuzz Face > Tubescreamer -> Crybaby -> Modded SD-1 -> Big Muff -> Phaser -> El Capistan -> TS-1 Tremolo/Stereo-Pan

Vox VT20+
Quote by WhoDooVooDoo
It probably sounds louder and fuller to you with a 4x12 because when you're beside it, regardless of the mic.. it's 4 speakers pumping air at you. If you mic just one speaker it probably picks up some bleed from the other 3 but not much.. To you a 1x12 will sound much quiter but the recording may actually end up cleaner because theres no bleed from the other 3 speakers, unless you desire that effect.

Yea, I would say to cut it down to two or one speaker. Just unplug the others and set your ohms on the amp accordingly.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Depends on how you record.

If you just use a single mic, then you might as well go for a 112, but when I used to record amps, I used 2 or 3 mics and the 412 was always a "bigger" sound.

Also Ed it right, smaller cabs do not mean it is going to be quieter.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Depends on how you record.

If you just use a single mic, then you might as well go for a 112, but when I used to record amps, I used 2 or 3 mics and the 412 was always a "bigger" sound.

Also Ed it right, smaller cabs do not mean it is going to be quieter.

How do you position those mics with how many tracks (# of records for guitar) and panning?

I wanna caputre that bigger sound as well (I presently have a 4x12)
Plenty of big guitar tones come from a single 57 on a cab, double tracked. You can use multiple mics, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a better sound

As for the cab, there will be a tonal difference between a miked 1x12 and a miked 4x12, but it won't be hugh. And the 1x12 won't really be much quieter than the 4x12.
^ depends on the speakers.

Greenbacks have very different characteristics in a cab smaller than 4x12.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Yeah, fair enough. But the subtleties of the cab in the room won't be as obvious if its recorded with a mic ~2" from the speaker, with the amp cranked up.