Page 1 of 2
I have a few different guitars and I can play them all fine except whenever I play my les paul its very uncomfortable for my fretting hand, both sitting and standing with different strap lengths. Is there anything I can do help/fix this?

Does anyone else have certain body types that are just insanely uncomfortable to play?
I was never comfortable with Les Pauls. I've owned a couple and they just don't feel right to me. I never could get used to a Flying V shape either. I think it's different for everybody.
Yeah I'm no where near as comfortable Playing my les paul as compared to super strat type guitars
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
Yeah I'm no where near as comfortable Playing my les paul as compared to super strat type guitars

What about a les paul is uncomfortable to you? So far my tele is by far the most comfortable and easy to play.
I have a V guitar, and after awhile I got used to playing it sitting down. While standing, the neck begins to dip to the ground which can be annoying. I also have a couple super strats and they're exceptioanlly easy to hold and play.
Just play it a bunch, you eventually get used to it but I agree that "Gibson" style guitars are less comfortable because the necks are bigger and the bodies are blocky.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by L.A.P.D.
What about a les paul is uncomfortable to you? So far my tele is by far the most comfortable and easy to play.

The lower cut is too small and it usually slides off my leg when i'm playing sitting down because I usually play in classical. Plus, it's freaking heavy
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by DamagingExcess
The lower cut is too small and it usually slides off my leg when i'm playing sitting down because I usually play in classical. Plus, it's freaking heavy

I agree with all that lol, but you don't have any discomfort in your fretting hand? I like to think it's the guitar that's causing this problem and not my fretting technique since I can play fine on other guitars.
Les Pauls just seem too small to me. I prefer strat types myself. I'm also comfortable with explorer types and I love my Gretsch 6120, too. I like telecasters, but they are a bit bottom heavy to me when I'm playing them standing up, so I don't own one.
Same here man, Les Pauls...they are literally a pain in the back. They can be very heavy and also uncomfortable to play. Strat and superstrats are generally the most comfy and easy to play. A good lightweight strat is a guitarist best friend. Try play the LP seating down...is baddd.
Quote by L.A.P.D.
I agree with all that lol, but you don't have any discomfort in your fretting hand? I like to think it's the guitar that's causing this problem and not my fretting technique since I can play fine on other guitars.

I've never really had problems with my fretting hand. I played A LOT of guitar hero before I ever picked up a guitar, maybe the simple motions helped. I do remember pain in my thumb region. And before anyone says it, no, I'm not comparing guitar hero to actually playing a guitar. It's bad enough the drummer in my band actually think some parts of guitar are harder to play on GH then it is on real guitar
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
I've actually switched from a strat neck to a les paul neck.

For myself, it felt more comfortable because most of the time I mess around with a classical guitar, which the neck is a bit more wider; which gave it a more "fuller" feel for my right hand.

I'd have to say though, explorers and firebirds were uncomfortable to play sitting down for my pick hand because I had to adjust it more towards the neck because of the high fins at the back. I'm sure I could get used to it, but...
Les Pauls are definitely an acquired fit. I feel comfortable with both Strats and Les Pauls, but to me a Les Paul just feels more solid. Strats feel like toys to me, mostly because theyre so lightweight. I grew up playing with Les Pauls though, so I'm much more accustom to the body. I do not like the weight though, but theres ways to get around it. If you watch Slash play on one of his signature Les Pauls, you can sorta see how he deals with the weight through his positions and stances. I got a Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, which has a chambered body - definitely cuts out a lot of the weight, and a slim 60's neck, which makes it a lot easier to move around the fret board.
Has anyone tried other brands version of the les paul? does it fair any differently?
I've played my fair share of Les Pauls in the guitar store while bored. On pretty much all accurate versions (same neck profile, same body thickness, etcetera as an actual Les Paul) I found the necks to be WAY too thick.
Also, anything pointy and br00tal. I'd like at least one angle I can sit down in without stabbing myself in the wedding vegetables, thank you very much.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 31, 2011,
The only LP body shape I could get along with was the ESP Eclipse even that had okay upper fret access compared to a RRV.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
I'm comfortable with all shapes, as far as I know. The only problem I have is the scale length. The Strat scale gives me nice high-fret access, while the scale of the LP gives me trouble playing higher frets; they are simply too small XD
comfort is subjective, so of course people are going to have certain guitars they just don't find comfortable to play.

just lately i've been finding my telecaster forcing my right arm into an awkward position as a result of the lack of contouring - i need to either have the bridge raised up a lot to give good height off the front of the body, or some kind of contouring, otherwise my whole arm has to kind of strain to get into position - i've been having to work on some muscle relaxation techniques to prevent it.

i was having a similar problem with my left arm caused by the angle of the neck on my les paul but i've managed to work around that the same way, and unless i repeat these steps with my right arm i'm gonna get "telecaster elbow"
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I like the shape of the LP. I mostly play sitting down but its really not heavy regardless. Are you guys playing old LPs because just about all of them are weight relieved or chambered now and really aren't that heavy.
I would think the neck angle of the paul would make the fretting hand more comfortable than a tele. tele's have no neck angle.

very strange, i'm the exact opposite. tele's and strats are less comfortable than pauls.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by L.A.P.D.

this is really strange, les paul have the same body style like telecaster but more rounded. but nor tele nor paul have belly cuts in their classical forms.

now it also raises a question for me, why buy a les paul when it's not comfortable for you?
Quote by wolvenrick
this is really strange, les paul have the same body style like telecaster but more rounded. but nor tele nor paul have belly cuts in their classical forms.

now it also raises a question for me, why buy a les paul when it's not comfortable for you?

Les Paul was a gift, tele I bought myself.
Quote by L.A.P.D.
Les Paul was a gift, tele I bought myself.

Same thing with me. My les paul was a gift from a friend
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
haha I get along with most shapes and neck sizes except ibby and Esp necks, oversized LP bodies (non gibson spec ones) and RR bodies

I <3 gibson Les pauls though, the neck and body size iss just perfect for me. both the 50;s and 60s necks i love
Quote by DamagingExcess
I've never really had problems with my fretting hand. I played A LOT of guitar hero before I ever picked up a guitar, maybe the simple motions helped. I do remember pain in my thumb region. And before anyone says it, no, I'm not comparing guitar hero to actually playing a guitar. It's bad enough the drummer in my band actually think some parts of guitar are harder to play on GH then it is on real guitar

it's actually true, real honestly. There are some motions in that game that are completely illogical as to a real guitar. Sweeping is not going up and down the neck, and that really makes it harder than the actual thing.

Anyway, OT: I got used to the LP's quirks. I feel weird playing guitars without carved tops, ie strats.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
it's actually true, real honestly. There are some motions in that game that are completely illogical as to a real guitar. Sweeping is not going up and down the neck, and that really makes it harder than the actual thing.
No. Just no. I can't sweep to save my life on realy guitar. I can 5 star every single song on expert in guitar hero 3. GH is easier then real guitar in EVERY way.
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
Quote by DamagingExcess
No. Just no. I can't sweep to save my life on realy guitar. I can 5 star every single song on expert in guitar hero 3. GH is easier then real guitar in EVERY way.

I can sweep. Can't play guitar hero for crap. Logic? None at all.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
As a lefty with small hands and a les paul its pretty tough to play anything from 17 on
at least comfortably
Quote by oneblackened
I can sweep. Can't play guitar hero for crap. Logic? None at all.

You totally missed the point. NOTHING on GH is harder the it's real guitar counterpart. End of story
Gear:
MXR CAE WAH
I've got a 68 Les paul custom,lefty,gloss black Gold hardware.I gotta wear it up higher than anything else I own.I love ebony fingerboards.Ive got a 62 goldtop I can wear low where I like it.I can't figure it out.I know that if
i use either one for a couple hours standing up it feels like somebody broke my shoulder.
LP's are uncomfortable because they're so freaking heavy, thats the only problem with them.

Another common problem i have are necks that are too thin as i have freakishly large hands. I feel that i have to 'dig' my fingers into the string when i'm playing on an Ibanez neck because my fingers are so long, the join in my fingertips overhang the fingertip areas that i use to fret with. It makes playing on thin necks feel very unnatural and uncomfortable.

I also don't like C and U necks. They're too rounded and they don't fill my hand properly. D necks are the only neck profile i find comfortable.

I'm finding guitars that i can't play in classical, uncomfortable too. Sadly, this includes Explorer's. the way the neck is angled in classical means i don't need to twist my wrists constantly when i playing in that position, so i don't get strain in my backhand.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
im very comfy with les pauls especially with the right strap. i only wish the neck heel allowed greater access and it was a tab bit lighter.

but as a whole, some have the right neck and i really like the scale length. i cant play the same on a 25.5 guitar. my hands are not small but they are not big, so doing some tricky things are not possible for me on a 25.5
Les pauls aren't known for their comfort but their sound. But well you can get used to it or swap it for something else if you really can't go on with it.
necro-bump much.

les pauls aren't known for their comfort? tell that to someone who finds them extremely comfortable
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Every time I try a Gibson Les Paul (because it looks so damn beautiful) I get put off by the neck. I just can't be comfortable with the chunky end of it from the 12th fret onwards.

I own a Les Paul copy with a bolt-on neck and I love it to death, though. So it seems I'm better off sticking with guitars like that ha ha.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
People are different. hence the subjectivity of guitar. If it's not comfortable, don't play it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Really don't like LPs. The weight, fat glossy necks, lack of contours, upper fret access, etc. Just not my thing. I think the Strat shape is far more practical and more comfortable to play.
Page 1 of 2