Page 1 of 2
What bands have bass that you can actually hear, with independent melodies (not just playing the root of the note etc.)? Apart from the obvious few, like RHCP, Muse, Green Day and Blink-182.
Victor Wooten is all about the bass and you can look up Les Claypool's band, aka Primus.
"Words"
Just As I Am

MD PRS Style Semi-Hollow
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Mesa Dual Rectifier
2x12 Celestion 30's
Kustom 200
8x10 EMC's
Rush
Cliff Burton-era Metallica
The Who
Yes (Chris Squire ftw)
Cream
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Anathema
Black Sabbath
Kyuss
Korpiklaani
Poisonblack
Tiamat
Sentenced
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at May 31, 2011,
Them Crooked Vultures. John Paul Jones is a beast!
'97 Modulus Flea Bass w/ Lane Poor
Warwick Corvette Bubinga

Gallien Krueger 700RB-II
GK 210 RBH
EB Volume Pedal, EHX Black Finger, EHX POG, Malekko B:Assmaster Germanium, EHX Holy Grail, KORG Pitch Black
www.myspace.com/astheends
A lot more bands than you think once you start listening to music through good speakers.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
A lot more bands than you think once you start listening to music through good speakers.

Hahahahaha

Awesome.

....and true.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Primus. Elvis Costello and the Attractions. And just about anything that came out of Stax, Motown or the Atlantic R&B catalog
Quote by consecutive e

This is very true, and also most good bands have easily recognized bass, because being good come's usually from knowing bass needs to be heard . Most run of the mill single of the week pop punk bands, and over the top metal bands where everyone's so drop tuned it sounds like a wall of mud are where you find it hard to pin point the bass.
The Funk Brothers!

They were the house band for motown back in the detroit days, their bassist James Jamerson, defined the motown sound. Jamerson had a gift where he could hold down a rock solid groove, but also play a counter melody at the same time. Here are a few examples, of his work... definetly worth a few min searching for them on youtube

Dear Darling by- The Jackson 5

For once in my life- Stevie Wonder

Im gonna make you love me- The Temps/Supprems

Whats going on/aint no mountain high enough- Marvin gaye
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Leftover Crack
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
Quote by askrere
This is very true, and also most good bands have easily recognized bass, because being good come's usually from knowing bass needs to be heard . Most run of the mill single of the week pop punk bands, and over the top metal bands where everyone's so drop tuned it sounds like a wall of mud are where you find it hard to pin point the bass.

This is just not true.

Good bass presence and responce on CDs is mostly in the mixing and mastering.

And being well known does not equal good.

Also for down-tuned bass not being heard, please listen to this:

http://www.google.com.au/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DL0VPVawpN8E&sa=X&ei=RyLlTd6KK4XKvQPt06nuBg&ved=0CCEQuAIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEpgKthNMY-B9ljgZnKYRmazxUwJA
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by dark Mass
Anathema
Black Sabbath
Kyuss
Korpiklaani
Poisonblack
Tiamat
Sentenced
This. Sentenced FTW.
rancid, disturbed, black sabbath, 311, rush, megadeth, limp bizkit, madness, earth wind fire. just a general look throuhg my mp3 player
Last edited by cac1389 at May 31, 2011,
Quote by gilly_90
This is just not true.

Good bass presence and responce on CDs is mostly in the mixing and mastering.

And being well known does not equal good.

Also for down-tuned bass not being heard, please listen to this:

http://www.google.com.au/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DL0VPVawpN8E&sa=X&ei=RyLlTd6KK4XKvQPt06nuBg&ved=0CCEQuAIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEpgKthNMY-B9ljgZnKYRmazxUwJA

I never even said well known equals good. I'm saying most bands we consider quality (especially here in the bass forum), have a present bass in live and recorded mix I'm not saying it spontaneously happened cause they are famous, I am merely suggesting they are good (which I guess helped some get famous), and know what they are doing, and subsequently let the bass be mixed in much more than some generic pop band. And I didn't say down tuned bass, I meant like bands where the guitarists use extended range guitars and down tune and everyone steps on each others toes, It's not bad music, it's just harder to articulate where the bass begins and ends for me usually. I have a friend who plays in a christian harcore band I don't personally like the music or the fact they got rid of their bass player, but I have to admit they sound the same for better or worse. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers
The Minutemen (Mike Watt's name doesn't get dropped enough on this forum--for shame! He's like the godfather of everything that was good about the American music scene from the '80s on.)

The Stooges' Fun House has some really awesome bass jams. They're all pretty simple, but really groovy & Dave Alexander throws in all sorts of sweet fills.
Quote by consecutive e

LOL this is sooo true. I blame the Ipod and radio (compression) for ruining the basslines prominence in music. It either has to be cranked up so loud everything else is redundant (hip hop) or its just not heard.

It is pretty cool cranking out a proper bassline and everybody grooving out like its the first time they've ever really heard the song, sadly it probably is.

This is the best answer, it may sound witty but it is just plain correct.

Moving on though, its easier to go by song than band since often bands will have a few songs where bass is prominent and very cool then the rest not. I dont have any bands to add (someone mentioned Red Hot Chili Peppers right??) but many others have individual cool tunes.
Quote by British Josh
Cliff Burton-era Metallica

Audioslave
Rage Against the Machine
Alien Ant Farm
Earlier Black Sabbath

Any good Ska band.
Any good funk/soul/RnB.
Tool! APC, Jamiroquoi!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

They've probably all been mentioned but I'll for it too.

Jamiroquai
RHCP
Rush
Yes
Dream Theater
Green Day
Incubus

There are also guys like; Victor Wooten, Jaco Pastorius, and Les Claypool where their bands/solo acts are based almost completely around bass.
[Insert something clever here]
Ones that haven't been mentioned so far:
Coldplay
Nickelback- SHUT UP! I don't care if you hate them.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Iron fuking Maiden!, Tool, Faith No More, early Led Zeppelin, Bad Brains' reggae
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
rise against
reel big fish
rancid
the libertines
muse
killers (jenny was a friend of mine)
clash
bob marley
guns n roses

tried not to include the usual clichés, bit of a mixture for you there
Cannibal Corpse
Korn
Type O Negative
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Limp bizkit
interpol
Biffy clyro
arctic monkeys
certain queens of the stone age
a few stone sour
the strokes
Deftones

Its a bit hard though to answer, because like said before if played through good speakers, then the bass comes in to play a lot lot more.
Bad Company.
<Insert Witty Comment Here>

1981 Fender Lead I Seymour Duncan humbucker, Mesa BoogieIIIRectifer, MKIIRhodes,PRS
Page 1 of 2