Poll: Who can read music/ site read?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who can read music/ site read?
I can read music but not sight read.
16 40%
I can site read fluently.
8 20%
I can site ride a bit (or am learning).
15 38%
I can not read music.
1 3%
I dont see the point.
0 0%
Voters: 40.
Theres a famous joke.

How can you make a guitar play turn down?

By putting sheet music in front of them.

I was wondering, how many UG's here can read music, how many can site read, and how many don't see the point?

I am currently in the process of learning site reading. It needs practice but its getting there. Its helped me out a lot of learning songs and solos, especially for getting the right rhythms and timing. I recommend it to every musician.
Last edited by jkielq91 at May 31, 2011,
"Sight" reading i think is an important skill for most musicians to learn, whether it be quickly understanding notated rhythms or lead lines it all has it's uses and applications.
Sight reading is not either/or.

I can read something simple at tempo.

As soon as I see a lot of accidentals, ledger lines, syncopation, polyphony ... I have to slow down and study the piece.

When I look at the Frank Zappa Guitar Book (transcribed by Steve Vai) I go "screw this!"

But I don't read everyday ... ok, maybe a lead sheet of something I already know by ear, but that does not really count.

Similarly, I can read English out loud ... but trip over Shakespeare or James Joyce.

Everyone who can sight read has some level of proficiency. I've seen some crazy charts and some expert musicians with pencils and a confused look.
Well now thats an interesting poll that you have up there. I definitely see the value in learning how to site read and if you peruse an education in music after high school, they will want you to know how, however there are very few people that can have a full song plopped down in front of them on a piece of paper and then they have no trouble playing it up to speed. I took 11 years of piano lessons before I picked up the guitar and while I can read for piano, I really struggle for guitar. Tablature has really begun to make things easier. Tablature was beginning to be transcribed in the baroque period (1600's ish) so its nothing new but the widespread use of tabs seems to be taking over and standard notation for guitar looks like is getting obsolete.
I can sight read for single voice instruments and singing, but I can't for playing the piano. By the time I've played (deciphered) a piece a few times, I know it by heart. But when I want to play it again a year later, I have to study it all over again.

So, what should I select for your poll?
I can read just fine but am slow at sight reading. I can sight read chord charts all day, but for notation if I have a few minutes to look the part over and can play through it just fine after the band plays it a couple of times. I have a hard time hearing what I am looking at. But with a few minutes I can gather the notes and the rhythms and then once we are playing it put it all together in the song.

Strange, I'm not the greatest reader but I get called for a lot of reading gigs. The band I'm in has a lot of reading involved I think that's why everyone else calls me for reading gigs.
I'm pretty fluent with reading music for single or simple double voicings that aren't above an intermediate skill. But because I play two instruments on a different side of the spectrum, I've been clef-biased with the Treble since third grade, I still have just a little bit of a handicap with Bass clef.

I can cite read very well on violin, but I'm not up to par with Bass Guitar because it's a different instrument and different clef (unless I cheat and read off a melody line!) that I've only been playing for almost three years compared to the violin. Tablature kind of saves the day but I rely less and less on it everyday and attempt to transcribe it to sheet music instead for myself. I also write everything I create onto sheet music.

Reading and learning music in standard notation is a priceless skill. Sight reading usually takes you further when auditioning for a group or looking for work as a session player.
We're all alright!
Quote by ironrattlehead

the widespread use of tabs seems to be taking over and standard notation for guitar looks like is getting obsolete.

Ok -- for some genres and levels of musicianship, certainly.

Keep in mind the vast majority of guitars are sold to teenaged boys (more precisely their parents) and will end up collecting dust in a closet.

As for people who are quite serious about the instrument, there are many who can not read a note and are fine. But there are many more who can.

I live in New York, so I am coming from a perspective of Broadway, theater and live TV. All of those people can read extremely well and there are a LOT of them that you and I have never heard of that might get a few great gigs here and there and teach in the meantime.

For people who want to make a living at playing guitar, reading is a necessity for Broadway, Theater, live TV.

So long as there is live music and musicians, standard notation will be a necessity. It has been around well over 400 years and, despite numerous efforts to replace it or supersede it with other forms of notation, it is still going strong -- despite the deplorable lack of musical education in the US.
I should have written for option 5- I don't see the point when I can read tab.

I am currently studying and there are definitely people in my class who are scared of sight reading, and definitely some who don't really care about it, even though its a professionally musicians course.
Quote by jkielq91
I am currently studying and there are definitely people in my class who are scared of sight reading, and definitely some who don't really care about it, even though its a professionally musicians course.

That's very strange and irresponsible almost to themselves to be in a course like that and ignore those teachings, in my opinion. Some people are just going to have kick back and enjoy the soup line I guess because they may be out of work already.
We're all alright!
I doubt that the musicians who CANNOT read music have even been in Musician Talk.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
^ i would disagree with that, we get a lot of "noobs" in here

i can sight read / play albeit slowly its better than nothing i figure
I can read music, but sight reading is a bit lost on me. Which is annoying v_v

Need to really start practicing it.

I could probably do some simple tunes. But the music I read is pretty much always Jazz or fairly complex scores.
i can read music but learning to sight read isnt really a priority for me. I have no aspirations to be a professional musician and its just not something Ill use in the foreseeable future.
I'm going to assume that everyone on UG can site read.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm going to assume that everyone on UG can site read.

i know i can!

i can sight read fairly well -- but i wouldn't call it fluently.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
when people ask me if I can read music I usually tell them I can translate music. if you hand me a piece of music I can sit down and look at it and go okay this is whats going on. but I can't just bust it out (unless its like stright quarter notes or some such thing.
no sir away a papaya war is on