Ok, I've soon to be going to buying my first electric guitar after playing acoustic for a few years, my price limit is £300-£350, possible can be stretched further if theres something i really want. Im looking for quite a versitle guitar. so far ive narrowed it down to these i like but have a few doubts.

Epiphone les paul standard, concerned i might struggle with the weight.
Ibanez ART120.
ESP ltd ec 256, which i really like but not sure about XJ frets.

help please...
For versatility, I usually reccommend some form of HSS Strat.
I've heard good things about Squier Vintage Modern strats - maybe check them out?

If you're dead-set on a Les Paul shape, as you seem to be, the Epiphone Les Paul Standard is a good bet. The weight is only a minor issue, you'll get used to it really quickly.

EDIT: Figures that the first person to respond reccommends Ibanez.
An Ibanez such as the one posted is quite versatile, I agree. However, reccommending them if the original poster has narrowed it down between 3 Les Paul-shaped guitars is a bit of a long shot since they're pretty much opposites of each other.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at May 31, 2011,
Quote by Woffelz
I think you'll like this RG more...
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/ibanez-rga32-mahogany-oil-finish/32287

Ibanez RGA32 - £330

- LoZ N and B pickups
- Thin Wizard II neck
- Gibralter standard bridge
- Mahogany body

Owning this guitar myself, i may have to say it isn't the most versatile in the price range, maybe an ibanez s or sa series, + you'll never worry about weight with them
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
the reason im more set on a les paul shape is because im quite small. From other strat style guitars ive played i seemed to be reaching further to play lower frets which I found alot more awquard. I would love a SG but for this reason I'm not going to get one.
Quote by Addy!
the reason im more set on a les paul shape is because im quite small. From other strat style guitars ive played i seemed to be reaching further to play lower frets which I found alot more awquard. I would love a SG but for this reason I'm not going to get one.

I'm not exactly big and strat style guitars are comfy for me...

However this may be due to scale length in which case all your choics should be dandy.

I'd personally choose the esp but i'm a touch biased ( i used to have an ec)
Quote by TheQuailman

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
washburn x50pro?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Addy!
how did you find the xj frets?

Didn't bother me at all when i got used to them
Quote by TheQuailman

Quote by MM14
chapman ml-2

*runs away*

Actually a good call :P
Quote by TheQuailman

Quote by MM14
chapman ml-2

*runs away*

I always hear good things about this guitar. I would go for a les paul standard I just got one and I thought the same thing about getting use to the weight and the neck but I love it and it's awesome to play. Very easy to get used too. Make sure you try before you buy
Quote by MM14
chapman ml-2

*runs away*

Good call. You can order one and have it custom-fitted with certain hardware at delivery too.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
found a store an hours drive away which stocks all three guitars, going to go try them out next week and see which i like best.
Make sure you look up the ml 2 aswell
Quote by TheQuailman

Alright fine.

Ibanez RGR321EX, if you don't mind a reverse headstock.
- Wizard III neck
- INF 1 and INF2 humbuckers [decent stock pickups IMO]
- Basswood body with a white binding
- Rosewood fretboard
- Gibralter Standard Bridge
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Ian G Ibanez
I would go with an Ibanez RG370DX (£330) Or a RG350DX (£370-aprrox)

i wouldn't the rg350dx is notorious for being out of tune because of the edge III trem, not sure about the 370dx though i still wouldn't trust it