do attenuators simply lower the volume to allow for more postgain? i want to use one for more gain at band practice and so i can lower the volume quite a bit for household play (old house sound travels very well)

can anyone recommend one? i use a 6505plus 112.

will i want a noise gate to get rid of feedback with the attenuator? if i will, recommendations are appreciated.

also, with that, im looking to get something in the podhd multieffects line. do i have to do anything special to get quality tones through the amp? or any pedal for that matter? just chain pedals in the effects loop?

furthermore, does a 6505 combo make a decent head if i ever add a 4x12 cabinet and can i hook it up in stereo with something that has a more a clear clean tone? will one cabinet work for both of those?

also, any recommendations to reduce feedback/static noise anything unwanted is appreciated. i want absolutely no feedback if at all possible. if it helps at all, i play all kinds of music, guitar is in my sig.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Attenuators absorb / work off some of the power from the output signal from your power section. Honestly, most tube amps are loud, the attenuation factor is usually insufficient for you to get soft clipping at household levels.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i dont understand the point of an attenuator then?
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
So you can dime your master, and push your power tubes to cook so you get power tube clipping - which is a little warm, fuzzy and spoogy, as compared to preamp clipping which is can describe as comparatively harsher and has a harder clip.

In theory, it will allow you to cook your power tubes, and the soak up some of that output power so that the sound going to your speaker won't burst your ear drums.

Unfortunately, for most attenuators, as you increase the attenuation factor, you also start to hear some tonal colouration - attenuation of the highs or some frequencies.

Attenuators also can only soak up so much power, in most cases, by the time you start to hit the threshold for power tube clipping, its already so loud, the attenuator can't bring it down all much. Even if you can, you get heavy tone colouration.

Also another factor is that powertube clipping is usually so loud, it causes some speaker distortion which also contributes to the soft clipping sound. When attenuate, you lose that speaker distortion effect. Hence the final outcome still isn't a perfect solution.

That's just my opinion tho, some users claim that the Weber Mass attenuates without tonal colouration.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Its just a trade-off. Do you want it dead quiet, or do you want an accurate reproduction of your amp cranked? You can't have both. Some people find room for compromise, some don't.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at May 31, 2011,
I understand there will be noise with the postamp up loud, i only want it around 5 or 6 if anything. my main thing is being able to control the volume.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Do i have any other options for making it quieter? im on a limited budget now too, but maybe some external speakers?
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
You can consider the Eminence ReignMaker or the Maverick. They have some FDM technology... which is something like an attenuator built right into the speaker itself.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Maverick

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Reignmaker

Then again, I've never tried it before so I don't know how effectively it will attenuate the sound for ya.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )