I've hit an area in playing guitar when i don't seem to be getting better. I play alot but i've been trying to learn sweep picking a few months ago but i was just not getting it. I keep trying once in a while and i practice it for a bit but it just doesn't work for me. i know how and i know the proccess but my fingers just don't seem to get to the string on time. anyone with any tips or secrets? thanx
Last edited by naugustrocks23 at May 31, 2011,
from what i heard there was this online lesson that herman lee put out... my freind tried it and he is pretty good at sweeps now! I dont know what its called and even if you dont like Dragonforce it woudnt hurt to look it up and take a quik peek!
"My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. it is who i am."-Joan Jett
Quote by naugustrocks23
I've hit an area in playing guitar when i don't seem to be getting better. I play alot but i've been trying to learn sweep picking a few months ago but i was just not getting it. I keep trying once in a while and i practice it for a bit but it just doesn't work for me. i know how and i know the proccess but my fingers just don't seem to get to the string on time. anyone with any tips or secrets? thanx

There's the problem. If you don't practice it a lot and for a long time (at least a few months, could take years) you'll never get it. Suck it up and hit the woodshed.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Reaper/chaos
from what i heard there was this online lesson that herman lee put out... my freind tried it and he is pretty good at sweeps now! I dont know what its called and even if you dont like Dragonforce it woudnt hurt to look it up and take a quik peek!

Sweep picking takes friggin ages to get, mostly cus every shape is different
Go as slow as possible, making sure you mute any unwanted noise with your hands
And I mean slow so it's almost nothing
That's the way it always works, you can't just dive into it, be patient in all
That's all I got
rule no. 1: learn at an obnoxiously low speed. learn it at 40 bpm. and then go up by little increments.
My personal rule for learning sweep picking is:

Do it with chords. Playing the fretted strings of say an A chord in a sweep pattern is relatively simple and will make you instinctively 'mute' the string your finger just left. If you want to go for that classic sweep style, just try the chords higher up the fret board, this is my favorite one to do:

e----------13-17-13-
b-----15--------------15-
g-14----------------------14

It's simple but will take you a while to get right
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
There's the problem. If you don't practice it a lot and for a long time (at least a few months, could take years) you'll never get it. Suck it up and hit the woodshed.

Sorry i gave the wrong idea. A few months ago i practiced an hour a day on just sweeps. I kind of took a break and at the same time just practiced other stuff and though i was going to be better when i tried again. Turns out i was worse so i almost gave up. I've started up again and have gotten better (iknow only after a day) but i notice a difference thanx to everyone for all the tips.
Choose a single sweep. Like an A mentioned above. Repeat this sweep as quickly as you can (even if it's painfully slow) with proper sweep picking and CLEAN. It's important that you're playing it properly when practicing. Sit down and watch TV or a movie or something and just repeat it for an hour straight. Then do the same with another simple sweep. then a third. Keep doing this for a few weeks and by the end you should notice a massive improvement.

perfect repetition is the key to success.

also, maybe it's just me, but I spent a few weeks learning some bass riffs and felt a lot more confident with guitar when I came back to it. Maybe it was the finger strength?
Guitars: Hamer XT Korina Explorer, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Bass: ESP LTD EC-154DX
Amp: Line 6 Spider Valve 112
Last edited by GraveRisen at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by Reaper/chaos

If the video your talking about is the one I'm thinking of, he is extremely sloppy in it.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.