Amp Marshall haze 15 watt stack(picking up next weekend)
Guitars ZW epiphone emg 81/85
LTD sm460 emg 81/60

Favorite bands Metallica,megadeth, BLS, A7X

I enjoy the crunch on the amp with active pickups but it needs a boost to be where I want it(similar to the bands listed above)

I tried a bad monkey on the gain channel and it wasnt bad I think a tubescreamer would be better.
A buddy at work that is a better player than me says I need a distortion pedal for the clean side of the amp. He likes the boss MT2.

I also have a digitech rp255 I could use but I figure a stompbox would sound better.

Any opinions?
No MT-2.

Budget?
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
For boosts, I'd recommend: Jet City Afterburner, BBE Green Screamer, WAY HUGE Green Rhino, Digitech CM-2, Fulltone Fulldrive2 Mosfet ($3 above your budget @ MF)

In my opinion, I'd stay away from: TCE MojoMojo, Fulltone OCD (too bassy for me)

As always, these are only my recommendations based on use and opinion.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by jesusismyr0ck
i like the maxon od808

Another good recommendation. However, some have issues with the build quality. I, for one, have never used it, so this is from word of mouth.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
Quote by shotclock
I also have a digitech rp255 I could use but I figure a stompbox would sound better.
Before you make a decision try putting the RP255 in front, turn off the FX, use the direct amp model, and try some of the RP distortion stomp boxes.
I had a similar issue with my amp, and as soon as you mention you want a bit more out of your distortion you just get people scream "tubescreamer" and to be honest it is not always the solution. I have a Bad Monkey and while that goes someway to improving the gain channel of my amp, it still cannot give that thick and full distortion that I was after. I have had much better luck running an EHX metal muff through the amps clean channel. I don't want to go on about the metal muff because there are probally much better distortion pedals out there, but it worked for me