im into mostly metal stuff. august burns red, the human abstract, woe is me. etc. pretty broad spectrum. i want to learn to shred, but i dont know what solos i should learn that are easy enough for me to play, but not too easy to where it bores me.

give me some solo suggestions. im open to dream theater, nevermore, all that remains, etc. anything with good guitar.
Last edited by deth medal761 at May 31, 2011,
shredding is not about learning solos... do excerсises. Petrucci, Rusty Cooley, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen
You can take the hardest song of your choice that you like, and just go at it bit by bit. Take a section, play it slowly, then build up the speed. Then add more sections, it's as simple as that
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
im learning Domination by Pantera for a somewhat shred solo. Its prolly my fav solo cuz it sounds pretty cool
Quote by CatAmplifier
shredding is not about learning solos... do excerсises. Petrucci, Rusty Cooley, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen

This.
Take lessons from your guitar heroes. I have DVDs from all the above guitarists. Helps to have "drills" or "licks" to run through.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
It's tough, but learning the solo to Endless Sacrifice upped my chops by a lot, and it's not a bad solo to just play for the fun of it. As far as general skill-building, try learning Joe Satriani songs. They have a very solid scalar base which will help you get better muscle memory as well as helping you learn how to apply fast, shreddy bits in a melodic or musical way. But that's mainly rock stuff, so you may not enjoy it.

Paul Gilbert is also an excellent place to start because he uses a lot of relatively simplistic and entry-level melodies and runs, just played at light-speed and/or using odd-angle picking. It's great alternate-picking practice.
Quote by Nameless742
This.
Take lessons from your guitar heroes. I have DVDs from all the above guitarists. Helps to have "drills" or "licks" to run through.

yeah this. master (or at least get pretty good) the techniques and then apply them. thats what i should do too lol, im lazy about doing drills and after three years its bit me in the ass cuz i have horrible pinky and ring finger dexterity (if thats the right word)
You don't have to buy DVD's all that kind of thing. I mean if that's your prerogative, sure go ahead

Try the UG lessons section, it's helpful. And it has links to youtube, and youtube itself has a load of similar video's.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Eugene's Trick Bag by Steve Vai is a great piece to work on your shred technique--mostly alternate picking (some people like to sweep the opening arpeggio section, but it's actually supposed to be alternate picked).
Quote by CatAmplifier

This. If you want to be able to shred it up you've got to establish the shred foundation. You get that from practicing your scales, arpeggios and exercises. Learning a bunch of solos will boost your technique, but at your stage, it's not what you should be focusing on. Seeing what you want to do, it looks like practicing those rudiments I just mentioned would be the best path of action. Once you get your scales and arpeggios under your fingers, you'll be able to shred it up in your own playing and learning the solos of other players will be a lot easier than if you hadn't practiced the basics.

As for what CatAmplifier said, those guys have some DVDs that are packed with great exercises. Paul Gilbert's Intense Rock is absolutely great for beginning shred players. It teaches a method of starting off with a basic scale sequence, then applying the sequence in a full-scale context that will serve you much use as you practice the licks from the video and when you practice shred at the higher levels. John Petrucci's Rock Discipline is more advanced than Gilbert's vids, but is definitely one to check out. It covers everything that Intense Rock covers on a more advanced level, plus it has the addition of a rhythm guitar section. Cooley's technique videos are great for working out your chops, but it's best that you work on more basic stuff for now. The majority of the Cooley videos are aimed at guitarists on a more advanced level of lead playing. However, when you do get the chops to take on some Rusty videos, you'll really be in for some good practice. His Extreme Pentatonics video will show you so much ways to play pentatonics that it will be hard just to think of the standard 2nps scale box again, his Legato Workout is one of the most intense left hand work-outs available now and Art of Picking has a ton of great ideas for a picker with a fairly competent level of ability.