I need help with this riff guy's, it's killing me even though it is a easy one.

e|--------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------------|
A|-888888888888--12-----10-----8---10---8-----------|
E|-888888888888-----8-8----8-8---8----8-------------|
............ . . . . . .

Now I know how to pick this the thing is, that when i go to hit the 12 on the A string I can't do it( I am learning this standing up ). The reason I say I can't do it is because of my pinky, an what I mean by that is I can't reach it with my pinky. I either have to,

A. Skip this note

Or

B. Release off of the barred 8th, an play the 12th

Then go back to playing the riff. I have small hand's and I can play this sitting down, but when standing up that's the only part i can not do.
You should be releasing the 8th fret when you're not playing it anyway, otherwise you're just putting unnecessary strain on your hands.
However, if you can play it sitting down but not standing up: bring your guitar up higher.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
8 to 12 is not a big stretch, just practice and with time you will gain flexibility and then you wil be able to do a looot bigger stretches, I have small hands too, one thing that help me was the rock discipline by john petrucci first exercises, they hurt a little at first, but they really help.

so practice, but if for any reason you have to play this in a little amount of time,(like a gig with your band) I think B is the more decent option
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Last edited by andras67 at May 31, 2011,
Do some stretching exercises, alternatively instead of hitting 12 on the A string, try 7 on the D string. Easiest way to accomplish this is to have you middle finger on the 8th fret on E, index finger on the 7th from on D, that leaved the pinky free for the 10th fret on A and finally keep the 8th fret barred on the A (if that is how you are comfortable doing it).

I hope you understand, if not i could try and make a quick video for ya. let me know
Quote by modestguitarist
Do some stretching exercises, alternatively instead of hitting 12 on the A string, try 7 on the D string. Easiest way to accomplish this is to have you middle finger on the 8th fret on E, index finger on the 7th from on D, that leaved the pinky free for the 10th fret on A and finally keep the 8th fret barred on the A (if that is how you are comfortable doing it).

I hope you understand, if not i could try and make a quick video for ya. let me know

Thank you guy's, An I know what you mean but if you want to make that video go a head . I am more a visualy kind of guy anyway's lol.
Last edited by Austin174 at May 31, 2011,
Quote by Aleksi
You should be releasing the 8th fret when you're not playing it anyway, otherwise you're just putting unnecessary strain on your hands.
However, if you can play it sitting down but not standing up: bring your guitar up higher.

Well for me it is easier to just keep the 8th fret barred through the whole thing. I feel like I have more control that way.
is the E supposed to be dropped to a D? also is everythin on the e string palm muted? what song is it?
Last edited by modestguitarist at May 31, 2011,
Quote by modestguitarist
is the E supposed to be dropped to a D? also is everythin on the e string palm muted? what song is it?

Not that any of this makes any difference to the fretting hand anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Keep your index finger on the 8th fret E. Barre at the start then lift and just stretch.

If you can play it sitting down the look at your hand position standing up, like said before its likely your wrist it pretty bent trying to reach under the guitar so either lift the guitar up a bit or let the neck rise up some more.

Also stretches are easier if you have your palm off the back of the neck, the classical position of having your thumb on the back of the neck gives your fingers more distance to stretch over.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Last edited by Snapple at May 31, 2011,
Quote by modestguitarist

It's in drop d, an its called The Final Episode by Asking Alexandria. The tab's i took that from were not in the right tuning.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not that any of this makes any difference to the fretting hand anyway.

just would be nice to know what i'm playing if i did make a video, thats all
Quote by Austin174
...The reason I say I can't do it is because of my pinky, an what I mean by that is I can't reach it with my pinky. I either have to,

Practice this arpeggio :

D min7b5

----------------------8---------------
------------------9-------------------
-------------10-----------------------
-------12-----------------------------
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

And this, D7

--------------------------8--------
-------------------10--------------
------------11---------------------
------12---------------------------
------------------------------------
------------------------------------

Start up at G on the D string if that is too much of a stretch (Gmin7b5 and G7 resp). Get comfortable. Move down to F#min7b5 and F#6, down to Emin7b5, E7 ..

You'll get there.

HTH
Looks like pinkie, ring, middle, pointer for both arpeggios.
The real point (unless im horribly mistaken) is the slight stretch in each.