Hi,

Ive worked out the various CAGED chords for Maj, Min, Dom7, Maj7 and Min7 for myself to practice, but im having some probs remembering them.

I was thinking it'd be much better to have a simple progression I could use these with, a progession that had at least 1 maj/min/dom7/maj7/min7 chord in it. I looked it up and see what chords you should use with which degrees, but then once I got into what degree you can/cant go to in a progression I got somewhat overwhelmed.

I was thinking something along the lines of this (and im sure this doesnt sound great, im at work and basically just grabbing numbers): I (Maj) V (dom7) IV (Maj7) VI (min7) III (min) IV (Maj)

So if I practiced the above in C i'd play CM G7 FM7 Am7 Em FM

Even if that doesnt sound horrible, i'd like something diatonically correct and I doubt that is.

If anyone could spit out a quick progression that uses the five chords, is simple and sounds ok i'd be eternally greatful!!
|CM|Am7|Em| FM G7|

There are many other ways you can arrage those chords and they would still sound good. The V Dominant(in this case the G7) always sounds good resolving to the I(CM) so thats why I put it as the last chord.

The progression you have is diatonically correct btw.
if you'd learn the notes that were in a particular key and learned chord construction, it'd be a lot easier. you wouldn't have to look up charts to see what chords go where - you could do it all off the top of your head. that's also how you learn how to bring in chords that AREN'T diatonic.

your progression is diatonic, so go for it.

i recommend Cmaj - Am7 - Fmaj7 - Dm(9, if you want to go there) - G7. that should sound fine.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Thanks so much for both your help. Glad to know the progression i had was diatonic. Practicing these chords with a progression makes it so much easier.

I am actually learning the chords by constructing them. For example, ive known how to play an Am for years (I knew the basic open chords), but now I know its minor because the 3rd's flat (C) and its not just some shape that I can play but not explain. Before I would of had to look up how to play M7/m7 but now I know how to work them out. Much less memorization when you understand them.

Work smart, not hard
vi -ii - V - I in any key is a popular progression you see in a lot of jazz standards:

In C:

|| Amin7 | Dmin7 | G7 | CMaj7 ||

A great exercise is to play this through the cycle of fifths:

|| Amin7 | Dmin7 | G7 | CMaj7 |
| Emin7 | Amin7 | D7 | Gmaj7 |
| Bmin7 | Emin7 | A7 | DMaj7 |
| F#min7 | Bmin7 | E7 | AMaj7 |
| C#min7 | F#min7 | B7 | Emaj7 |
| G#min7 | C#min7 | F#7 | BMaj7 |
| D#min7 | G#min7 | C#7 | F#Maj7 |
| Bbmin7 | Ebmin7 | Ab7 | DbMaj7 |
| Fmin7 | Bbmin7 | Eb7 | AbMaj7 |
| Cmin7 | Fmin7 | Bb7 | EbMaj7 |
| Gmin7 | Cmin7 | F7 | BbMaj7 |
| Dmin7 | Gmin7 | C7 | FMaj7 ||

I was taught to pick a tempo and play straight quarter notes -- the most important ting is to keep time, so start slooooooow and speed up to be bop tempo. After woodshedding on this a few weeks I really had the chord forms under my fingers and knew the cycle of 5ths.

HTH
Zen I see it, and its really helpfull! Thank for taking the time to write it out, I do appreciate it alot. Im also playing quarter notes till I can play them without really thinking. That circle of 5ths seems like a good exercise, and if I can get it burned into my stubborn skull that'd be a huge plus so ive added it to my regular practice.

Ive had so many "ohhhh! I get it!!" epiphanies in the last week or two by looking at chord construction and how it relates to progressions...its really cool how it all fits together. It seems simple once it clicks.

Thanks again for all of your help. You all saved me alot of frustration!