Right now I have a Marshall preamp tube, I think It's a 12ax7 but it doesn't actually say and an EH EL84L which rattles and squeels -_-

So the Marshall is crunchy and that's about it, leads aren't brilliant, kind of like van halens brown sound with the frankenstrat, which is cool.

I want something with a teeny bit of fuzz so I could crank it and get some metalcore out of it like my curse by killswitch engage, which right now sounds okay with these tubes but I want...'more'

Also this the tone right now is very dark and I want some more highs

Someone suggested this to me:
www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=685

Would this fit the bill?

ps I'm not looking for an exact copy of any particular bands tone but I like the early van halen tone I have now its just that's pretty much all it can do well, so id like to able to pull off some higher gain, modern metal stuff

any preamp or output tubes you can suggest would be much appreciated!
there's no way a higher gain tube is gonna give you metalcore with a valve junior. you need several cascading gain stages to get you that.

best bet is to try a pedal or two...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd revalve your junior with some JJs, a 12ax7 in the pre and whatever you want in the power section. Then get yourself a distortion pedal, probably not an overdrive because pushing this amp will just get you a heavy blues lead sound (probably a good one too).

Get a barber dirty bomb, I'd say.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by Dave_Mc
there's no way a higher gain tube is gonna give you metalcore with a valve junior. you need several cascading gain stages to get you that.

best bet is to try a pedal or two...

Sorry I should have mentioned I have a pedal
I just want that BIT more gain not full blown death metal dimebag amounts of gain

you know something a bit darker tone wise
oh ok

jjs are a pretty good bet for a warmer tone, as PP182 said. compared to the stock sovteks, anyway.

what pedal do you have, if you don't mind my asking?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by PussyPunk182
I'd revalve your junior with some JJs, a 12ax7 in the pre and whatever you want in the power section. Then get yourself a distortion pedal, probably not an overdrive because pushing this amp will just get you a heavy blues lead sound (probably a good one too).

Get a barber dirty bomb, I'd say.

Yeah I've used the amp stock with a boss eq and it was amazing! It was blues bliss!!! and I can't even play real blues!
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok

jjs are a pretty good bet for a warmer tone, as PP182 said. compared to the stock sovteks, anyway.

what pedal do you have, if you don't mind my asking?

well I'm actually using a Marshall solid state combo going into the junior via the lineout and that goes into the marshalls speaker so thats where I get my distortion, reverb, delay, chorus, compression etc and before anybody says that a crap setup, I know it is but it sounds pretty good and my playing makes up for it
oh ok.

I have no idea about that kind of thing if it works then cool
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh ok.

I have no idea about that kind of thing if it works then cool

I know, its heresy
Quote by Ma-hog!
well I'm actually using a Marshall solid state combo going into the junior via the lineout and that goes into the marshalls speaker so thats where I get my distortion, reverb, delay, chorus, compression etc and before anybody says that a crap setup, I know it is but it sounds pretty good and my playing makes up for it

clips?
Quote by coolstoryangus
clips?

Well I could get the lend of a good Mic to record it if there's a demand for it, otherwise I'll upload a video to youtube via smartphone
Quote by Ma-hog!
Sorry I should have mentioned I have a pedal
I just want that BIT more gain not full blown death metal dimebag amounts of gain

you know something a bit darker tone wise

No.... no, that doesn't work. That will never work at all. There's a lot more that goes into a good high-gain tone than just distorting the living hell out of everything, and trying to get distortion out of a VJ will just make everything muddier.

You want the VJ clean and all your dirt from whatever pedal/preamp you're using.
Quote by TheQuailman
No.... no, that doesn't work. That will never work at all. There's a lot more that goes into a good high-gain tone than just distorting the living hell out of everything, and trying to get distortion out of a VJ will just make everything muddier.

You want the VJ clean and all your dirt from whatever pedal/preamp you're using.

hey I never said I wanted to turn everything to eleven, my set up as is can do the metal thing with good success but I want a little more gain at the high end and my tubes are gone microphonIc so I need new ones anyway
Quote by Ma-hog!
hey I never said I wanted to turn everything to eleven, my set up as is can do the metal thing with good success but I want a little more gain at the high end and my tubes are gone microphonIc so I need new ones anyway

Yeah, and I'm still telling you you won't make your tone any more metal no matter what tubes you put into the VJ. The only thing I could do to make one of my VJs sound metal was plugging it into a 2x12" cab and putting distortion boxes in front of it.

But fine, you just want good tubes. I like putting TADs in everything since mine stubbornly refuse to break. For a cheaper option, JJs are prefectly fine though. I'd say get a JJ EL84 along with a JJ 12AX7, and maybe a Tungsol and TAD 12AX7 to try and see if you can hear much of a difference between them (plus it's nice to have backups).
Quote by TheQuailman
Yeah, and I'm still telling you you won't make your tone any more metal no matter what tubes you put into the VJ. The only thing I could do to make one of my VJs sound metal was plugging it into a 2x12" cab and putting distortion boxes in front of it.

But fine, you just want good tubes. I like putting TADs in everything since mine stubbornly refuse to break. For a cheaper option, JJs are prefectly fine though. I'd say get a JJ EL84 along with a JJ 12AX7, and maybe a Tungsol and TAD 12AX7 to try and see if you can hear much of a difference between them (plus it's nice to have backups).

I have pedals chillax
fulltone ocd version 4, yes the worst in my opinion and a Maxon overdrive 808
A neighbour of mine kindly offered me some old tubes out of a butchered/melted/raped mesa boogie head and by zakk wyldes beard there is a world of difference, its no longer classic rock crunch, it's leaning more towards djent, it is a bit too fuzzy but dialing back the gain fixes that and in d standard its perfect!

It is a blues amp (with more than a few crafty mods and tricks ) doing modern metal gain and I am extremely satisfied.

It's no longer a thick and bassy tone which was perfect for the bluesy stuff,
It's now tight and clearly defined and articulate with much more clarity in riffs and chords and there's a lot more high bite than before.
I was gonna say Tung-Sols for the clarity and definition.

Honestly I'm not entirely convinced that just by plonking in some different tubes you get a whole new sound out of the same circuit, but if it works... .
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
I was gonna say Tung-Sols for the clarity and definition.

Honestly I'm not entirely convinced that just by plonking in some different tubes you get a whole new sound out of the same circuit, but if it works... .

No, no, you're right but I bought the amp used with some mods already made and
I've put in some more so I can understand why people are saying "NO it not do the bR00tz never!" but I'm using an extra preamp, some pedals and a modified circuit

No, new tubes will not give a valve junior really high gain, quite obvious,
Yes, modifying the amp in other ways can give a valve junior high gain, acoustic mirror has also shown this.

EDIT: one of the old tubes just red plated in a different amp no doubt the condition of the tube contributed to the lack of clarity
Last edited by Ma-hog! at May 31, 2011,
Quote by Ma-hog!
No, no, you're right but I bought the amp used with some mods already made and
I've put in some more so I can understand why people are saying "NO it not do the bR00tz never!" but I'm using an extra preamp, some pedals and a modified circuit

No, new tubes will not give a valve junior really high gain, quite obvious,
Yes, modifying the amp in other ways can give a valve junior high gain, acoustic mirror has also shown this.

EDIT: one of the old tubes just red plated in a different amp no doubt the condition of the tube contributed to the lack of clarity

I think you need to mention that in the starting post. I recall you mentioning somewhere in the middle of the thread that the amp was a modded amp, but right now I just can't seem to remember where.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Sounds like you didn't get more gain, what you did was put in a Russian valve with no bottom end.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
so much misinformation, the TS obviously just needs to put in a Mesa 12AX7 and he'll be set
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}