I am interested in buying a guitar which can satisfy my tastes.I want a guitar that can play rock 'n'roll and hard rock (Zeppellin,Gun's n roses etc) but I also want it to be capable of playing metal like Mettallica RATM and a bit of Tool.I know that I may be asking rather a lot from a guitar but dammit it's a lot of money and I want to be sure that I am making a right choice.
I am planning g as soon as I get one to change it's pickups to shaymun Duncan ...probably the ones slash uses...
The guitarist in almost every band you mentioned uses, or used Les Pauls (not sure about RATM). I think you'll find they will work for what you want to play.
Les paul will be fine, question is do you have a good enough amp?

Adam Jones diezel is a pretty different beast to say slashs marshall, while jimmy page seems at least recently to favour an old orange AD30 single channel.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by devilblos
I am planning g as soon as I get one to change it's pickups to shaymun Duncan ...probably the ones slash uses...

try looking for seymour duncan they are way better than the brand you named. i'd go with different pickup in the bridge though because i doubt the alnico 2 pro's can handle metallica nicely.

also i have a gibson les paul standard with sh4 and sh2n and it does metallica nicely the occasional times i play it. i myself am a huge (old) guns n'roses and led zeppelin fan and it serves my needs well considering my (declared crappy) amplifier.

like the guy above me also said, the amplifier does play a huge part in achieving a certain sound but they can be tweaked or modded too so look into every aspect.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Jun 1, 2011,
if you can, go striaght up to the les paul custom. dont stop at the standard or supreme. every custom ive played ive been blown away by and with the others theres been good ones ya, but the custom is the winner for me. im actually saving up for one now
Yeah should be able to cover all that. It will do any hard rock you throw at it. Didn't Hetfield (I think that's his name) use a Les Paul in Metallica? Yeah, Les Paul's can do anything
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Didn't Hetfield (I think that's his name) use a Les Paul in Metallica?
Maybe a long time ago.

Anyway, Les Pauls are very versatile and can play everything from blues/jazz to modern metal. And please don't change the pickups, they have a warmer sound and more gain than Seymour Duncans.