I'm studying jazz guitar in college in the fall but my budget has increased and I can probably spend up to 2000 on a really nice guitar. I need a guitar that will be able to play traditional jazz, but also fusion and I also plan on playing alt/prog rock and rock in a band in college. So I need a really versatile guitar. So I've been thinking used gibson es 335, les paul standard, maybe a carvin...but I don't have a lot of ideas...give me some please thanks!
a fender guitar?

go to your local shop and play some guitars man.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
many great jazz/blues guitarists use hollow body guitars try the gibson es-335 and maybe some gretsch guitars, off the top of my head i cant think of any more really good ones, also dont forget an amp that is a massive part of your tone
The ES 355 or maybe a Jaguar/Jazzmaster or Tele Thinline.

I have seen some Jazz players use a Gretsch as well, but I'm not sure if they would cut it for an alt/prog sound..

I would agree with rocker to go play some at the store. Semi-hollows might be the best bet...
This.
Les Paul was a Jazz guitarist.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
A Les Paul. It was a Jazz guitar originally I believe. And Les Paul being a jazz guitarist...
You can really play jazz on any guitar, a few famous jazz players have even used Teles to great effect.

If you want that particular "woody" jazz tone, than only a hollowbody will really suffice, but if you're not limited to that, then your options are wide open. An ES-335 type with some good pickups would work perfectly.

It is fair to ask what you've got for an amp, though.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
gibson ES-339. its like a 335, but with a much smaller body which should help it handle higher levels of gain while still maintaining that semi-hollow body sound.

I played one today that had a $2200 CAD pricetag on it
Thanks for the ideas guys. I play a peavey jsx that has a beautiful clean channel but in college when I play in ensembles there will be amps provided...I believe they've got a few roland jazz choruses But eventually I will buy a "jazz" amp but the guitar is more important right now I think
I mean i would go with a fender JAZZmaster...
Seeing as it has JAZZ in the name, and it is the master....
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
jazzmasters don't really have enough natural tonal depth for traditional jazz - the classic jazzmasters have a bit too much of a wirey sound, and the blacktop series doesn't look all that different apart from having a bridge humbucker.

i wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a jazzmaster for traditional jazz tones - don't be fooled by a name.

edit: ^you posted while i was posting, and made my post even more appropriate.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
jazzmasters don't really have enough natural tonal depth for traditional jazz - the classic jazzmasters have a bit too much of a wirey sound, and the blacktop series doesn't look all that different apart from having a bridge humbucker.

i wouldn't recommend anyone to buy a jazzmaster for traditional jazz tones - don't be fooled by a name.

edit: ^you posted while i was posting, and made my post even more appropriate.

Shit!
Id go with a Mustang then.
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by hellraiser11
Thanks for the ideas guys. I play a peavey jsx that has a beautiful clean channel but in college when I play in ensembles there will be amps provided...I believe they've got a few roland jazz choruses But eventually I will buy a "jazz" amp but the guitar is more important right now I think

The JSX sounds fine to me.

Yeah, I'd probably go with some sort of ES-335 type, an Epiphone or Ibanez or Hagstrom for a sub-$1000 guitar (maybe consider a pickup upgrade as well), or a Heritage or Gibson or Yamaha for a above-$1000 guitar. You can really do just about anything a good semi-hollow.

Example, I lucked out and got a particularly nice example of the Epiphone Dot Studio as my first guitar, which has since been upgraded with P90-type pickups and some additional switching options. Tonally speaking it can handle just about anything, and I could easily play jazz on it if I had the talent for it.

Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Guitarplaya27
Shit!
Id go with a Mustang then.

a mustang would be even less appropriate for warm jazz tones than a jazzmaster

TS what kind of rock sound are you going for? and what kind of jazz sound are you going for, more to the point?

all the 'genres' you have listed are very broad with a lot of variety of tones and styles within that genre.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
maybe (just maybe) the new fender pawn shop 72 (i tihnk the numbers 72) hollow body with humbuckers
well. you can get one HELL of a carvin hollowbody for that. it really just depends on your resale. gibsons are nice, but imo you can get more bang for your buck unless you fall in love with one.

gretch would be real cool, but they have thier own flavor. i would advise to try befoer you buy. pretty sure every guitar center has atleast 1.

ibanez artcore is about the best hollowbody buy out there. they have lower/higher end models i think they go up to about 600-800 for the nicest ones. great guitars.

i would say prs but i think a hollowbody is way above 2000.

might want to check out some other less purchased brands such as hamer. amazing guitars. might be too expensive for a hollow though.

another option could be to buy a medium end guitar of each kind. say like a 800 hollowbody like an artcore and an 800ish solidbody for rock for a different sound or more gain. posibly spend ay extra on tweakin them.

most gigging musicians i know (are younger, under or around 30) do not gig with guitars over about 1000-1200. very few. most have SOLID amps. GREAT pedal setups, and guitars in the 400-1200 range. lots of asian made stuff going on. WHY???? cause if you got a great rig, and the guitar plays good, your going to sound just as good. good playing goes a long way and young people cant drop 2000 on guitars.

....i know 2 gigging musicians who even buy pedals kits and custom make/mod their own custom pedals. they do that, but still use asian 600 buck guitars like artcores. and trust me, they make a killing gigging.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 1, 2011,
Two words. Les Paul.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Gibson ES-137. I use mine for exactly what you're doing. It has hotter pickups than a standard 335, which produce a better sound for rock, but they aren't so hot as to lose any depth in the jazz sounds. In the end it's basically a Les Paul / 335 hybrid. They also cost a lot less than 335s because they aren't as "iconic."
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass