I have a Fostex 8-track recorder. (MR-8 MK II, i think, its not with me atm) Only has two inputs. I have a couple decent mics to use. I am pretty good with the fostex as far as bouncing tracks, mastering etc....but Ive only ever recorded multiple guitar parts all of which I played seperately. I am now wanting to record guitar, bass, and drums. 3 piece band.

Now, my questions are.
What would be the best way to go about recording?
It seems playing it 'live' one take, all 3 of us, at once would be the easiest process wise. Then go back and sing over.

Where should mics setup with only two mics to cover three people? I know trial and error will prolly be the biggest factor in this method. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Or,
should we record one person at a time? I know this will sound better because we will have two mics per take, per person.
But what should go first? Drums I assume, but not sure. And how much more difficult and time consuming is this?

Any thoughts or experience with these methods? Or, any other ideas?

I am not expecting to get professional quality because I know that will be impossible with our equipment. I just want a decent sound to get things hard copied.
Sorry for longish post just want to get the best answers with our equipment because there is no money for new stuff right now.
The easiest way I've found to record (as well as the method I've used most of the time in studios) is to record it track by track, starting with the drums. Usually you have your most solid player, be it a bassist or guitarist, playing in the drummer's ear (if you have a headphone jack on an amp, or another headphone output through the computer), and a metronome if you desire.
awesome, thank you.
that makes perfect sense as my biggest concern was keeping everything in time playing it all separate. and i would then listen to him through the phones while i play so on. great help appreciated.
Quote by MaskedMurader23
Usually you have your most solid player, be it a bassist or guitarist, playing in the drummer's ear (if you have a headphone jack on an amp, or another headphone output through the computer), and a metronome if you desire.

The MkII has a built-in metronome, so if you have no other click-track options, you can always turn that on.