Right when I start descending into sleep, in that inbetween stage, I'll hear a piece of music playing in my head CRYSTAL clear, and it's something I've never heard before. When I'm awake I'll make up little melodies or riffs in my head throughout the day, but in that phase of sleep where I'm still half awake, I hear long phrases just going off like nothing. The only trouble is, by that point I'm really tired and my girlfriend is sleeping, so I can't just get up and try to play it out right then and there and by the time I wake up I've forgotten it. Does this happen to anyone else?
No.

But a solution might be to record yourself singing it, just using your phone and going to sleep.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I've dreamed of awesome bass lines that don't exist, but can never recall them once I awaken. Same with weird awesome song titles/lyrics.
Quote by Venice King
No.

But a solution might be to record yourself singing it, just using your phone and going to sleep.

That's a good idea, but usually the music that's happening in my head is faster paced, most likely because that's the kind of music I like to write, so singing it would be a bit out of my skill range haha
I have this although it's very rare. I hear full orchestral music. There's no way I could write this in waking life. I suspect it's the limit of the music I could write if I'd had musical training. Then again, although nicely textured, it seems somewhat directionless.
Quote by Jehannum
I have this although it's very rare. I hear full orchestral music. There's no way I could write this in waking life. I suspect it's the limit of the music I could write if I'd had musical training. Then again, although nicely textured, it seems somewhat directionless.

The same kinda thing happens to me, I heard violin I think, and I think it also had a bass instrument accompaniment, but I'm primarily a guitar player and have only played a violin like three times in my life. That's an interesting theory that it's your full potential, but your body isn't conditioned enough to create it.
happens to me but usually i'm wide awake. wish you could record straight from your head.
Quote by Jehannum

i get this, too. sometimes i'm actually able to discern each line, and write a separate part for english horn, trumpet, contrabass, etc. sometimes it's really blurry and i just take the melody and come up with some accompaniment and orchestrate that.

train your ears, kids. i couldn't do this when i first started, so i'm going with the "it's not a natural gift" school of thought.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
The most famous example of this is Keith Richards coming up with Satisfaction. Always the boy scout, he already had a tape recorder next to his bed in case this very event happened. The need to commit the riff to tape was more important than girlfriends sleep.

Rock and Roll.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
I think everyone gets this at times, you're just really relaxed and concentrated inwards so your subconscious can kick in, you can achieve this state whenever you want to I think. Just relax and notice different kind of feelings you have and you'll go deeper into it. Maybe sounds dumb, but even if it's not what you mean, it's something.

If this is the state where you often see quite bizarre images in your head, just create a method that will make you wake up just as soon as you drift to sleep. And then go to sleep during the day. Try to remember what it was like before you fell asleep and during the day try to achieve the same kind of a state. Then just hope no one interrupts while you start hearing music.

So yeah.. Ear training. Don't forget it. Really important for this.
Get out of room, record it. Go back to sleep.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It doesn't really exist..
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

yeah i think a lot of people get this, i had it last night but not with music, it was this mad hallucination of a load of different things morph into each other. it'dd be the coolest thing to see ever, but i can't remember what the hell it was. the impressionists used to do that. they'd deprive themselves of sleep for days and then they'd go asleep holding a glass or something. then they'd drift into sleep, as soon as they did they'd drop the glass, it'd shatter, waking them up, and then paint whatever was in their head in that one moment of sleep. quite cool.
I had this when I was doing a weird sleep schedule, but what was weird was I heard sort of fully formed pop songs, of the sort I don't even listen to never mind write.
Quote by Next Hendrix
Walk in on your wife with another man.
Kill them both.
Go to prison in Louisiana.
Have conversation with the Devil.
Instant harmonica asskickery.
the closest i've come to this is having a piece of music playing in the background of a dream (that I've never heard before). it was a mellow acoustic thing that all of a sudden busted out into a heavy death metal vibe. I woke up and figured out the acoustic part on my guitar while it was still fresh in my head. The metal part escaped me. but the acoustic vibe rocks! thank you wierd dreams for inventing music for me!
I also experience this occasionally. Usually it's some fully orchestrated piece that can be pretty complex. In my half-awake stupor I feel the urge to go and write it down somehow, but it never happens. Kind of frustrating afterwards
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.