i find that with my Randall RG75G3+ is extremely bassy, even if i turn it down to 2 or 3.. i mainly play metallica/Avenged sevenfold/Megadeth/Guns N Roses and no matter how much i mess around i cant get a nice distorted crunch without either having too much gain or too little, even if i lower the gain or max it.. i may be being stun'd but i need some help. thanks
Current Playing Gear:
Johnson DeQ 2 Distortion Pedal
Peavey ValveKing 1x12 50W Tube Combo
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
i have a similar problem sometimes with my bugera when im not doin all out metal, its very bass heavy. maybe try different valves,(if its a tube amp) or get a tubescreamer or something to tighten up the gain
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
for crunch i normally use 7 gain 2 bass 5 mid 8 treble... thats on my Marshall though.
If you want a metallica sound lower the mids a bit, that should give you what you're looking for. If you also have a presence knob raise it a bit, gives a good quality CHUG to the sound. My settings are Low: 2 Mid:4 High:6 Pres: 6 and it sure as hell packs a punch
Scoop the mids I reckon, I use Bass: 6, Mid 2, treble 7, gain 7, gives a nice crunchy metallic sound without being too harsh (in the bad way) or too bassy.
Randall RG75 75 watt Amp with Tube/Mosfet Valve Dynamics

I bought it used at Long & Mcquade, it has a Celestion 70-80 Speaker, all components are still stock since i bought it a few months ago, has a few nicks on the tolex, but no rips/tears. it has 2 Gain Channels that you can switch between, so you can set one up for a classic rock style overdrive, and a second one for metal/hard rock style distortion, it has 4 equalizer knobs (Bass, Middle, Sweep, Treble, as well as a voicing switch), a reverb knob for the overdrive channel, and a volume knob for the overdrive channel. The clean channel has a channel volume, with a clean boost switch, 3 equalizer knobs (Bass, Middle, Treble), and a reverb knob for the clean channel. The final knob on the amplifier is for the Master Volume
Current Playing Gear:
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
I dont know your amp. But I'm guessing it might be part of the problem... It might not be the right amp / guitar set up for that "crunch" sound... only so much you can do with the settings....

Again, I dont know the amp, I might be wrong, but it might just not be suitable for the crunch sound.
---
randall's don't really do crunch. they do a saturated, solid-state type distortion. trying to get a crunch, which is typically associated with cranked tube amps, just isn't going to get you far.

I would suggest a good distortion pedal in front of the clean channel
Quote by krehzeekid
randall's don't really do crunch. they do a saturated, solid-state type distortion. trying to get a crunch, which is typically associated with cranked tube amps, just isn't going to get you far.

I would suggest a good distortion pedal in front of the clean channel

This guy is 100% right, you need a more traditional power section crunch - your Randall is action packed with pre amp gain.
Boss metalzone 2, gets you any range of crunch you could ever want
Guitars: Hamer XT Korina Explorer, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Bass: ESP LTD EC-154DX
Amp: Line 6 Spider Valve 112
Quote by GraveRisen
Boss metalzone 2, gets you any range of crunch you could ever want

Don't get this pedal. I have never heard a good tone EVER come from one of these pedals and many will agree
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by DamagingExcess
Don't get this pedal (Boss MT2). I have never heard a good tone EVER come from one of these pedals and many will agree

I agree, I own one. I initially was impressed with it but then became very disappointed with it and I'm pretty sad that this is what I asked for as a 21st birthday present. Granted I haven't tried it with my valve amp, so now I'm wondering what sort of results I'll get using it as a sort of boost on one of my guitars that has a pretty weedy output.
My Gear:
Suzuki Classical Guitar from 60s
B.C. Rich Warlock
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Monterey Steel String Acoustic
Maton M255 Steel String Acoustic
Agile AL-3100 w/ EMG 81/85
Bugera 6262-212
dont use a metalzone, please.

here are some options, all of which are far better:

-blackstar HT-dual
-carl martin plexitone (ideal for crunch)
-MXR M78
-Digitech Hardwire SC-2

obviously, there are more. these are simply pedals that I have tried (I tried the plexitone through a Randall I had) that gave a really solid crunch sound.
an overdrive pedal will tighten that bass right up so you can get better chugging sounds. on an od pedal, gain 0, output max, tone wherever you like it (past 12 oclock)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
so, throw an OD Pedal in front of the OD channel or the clean channel?
Current Playing Gear:
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
Quote by codymrc

either way can sound good, depending on the amp. try it.
an od in the clean ch will git a more traditional crunch sound try a tube screamer type pedal even an old DS-1will work for a crunch sound. It sounds like you are looking for that classic Marshall type tone, if you are you deff got the wrong amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by codymrc

OD infront of the gain channel to tighten the bass. remember gain at 0! but if u want a nice Overdrive sound, clean channel and mess with the knobs
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
i made my decision.. bought a Epi SG Prophesy with 85/81 EMGS and 24 frets, good sustain, and AMAZING CRUNCH, i tried it with both my Line 6 Spider and Randall. and im going to keep the Line 6, the randall sounded too muddy in clean with EMG's and the line 6 was PERFECT. btw thanks for the person who said Treb 6, Mid 2, and bass 6 with 7 gain.. PERFECT for emgs.
Current Playing Gear:
Cool Cat Chorus Pedal
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Ernie Ball Wah Pedal
Read the first part of my sig.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
well i mean emg's do already have a lot of mids in them, but for arguments sake give ur amp some more mids
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED