Lately I've been trying to make dead notes with my fretting hand, like in the intros of
Mean Street by Van Halen or Wonderful Slippery Thing by Guthrie Govan.

my guess is to just slap the strings with my fretting hand, is this right?

if it is or isn't, any advice on getting better at it?
Quote by Livingtime
Lately I've been trying to make dead notes with my fretting hand, like in the intros of
Mean Street by Van Halen or Wonderful Slippery Thing by Guthrie Govan.

my guess is to just slap the strings with my fretting hand, is this right?

if it is or isn't, any advice on getting better at it?

I make plenty of dead notes with trying to do it What about just doing a palm mute with your strumming hand?
-Mike
Quote by Widefingers
I make plenty of dead notes with trying to do it What about just doing a palm mute with your strumming hand?

I'm not sure if that'll work, but I'll try it in about an hour, cause i'm in class right now.

Also, what if I used my fretting hand near the bridge to create dead notes, would it keep the sound 'clean' (no ringing)?

EDIT: It keeps ringing!! help!
Last edited by Livingtime at Jun 1, 2011,
there are plenty of videos of Eddie playing the Meanstreet intro on youtube... they might help you visualise what you want to do
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Not 100% sure what you mean, but I think you mean trying to do fretting hand mutes?

If so you could be hitting natural harmonics by mistake? Is that the case?
I think I know what your looking for, playing ghosted notes right? Rocco comes right to mind. He's the bassist for "Tower of Power". He made a living by playing ghosted notes. Here is a little lesson he did, you can watch it all if you like, but at about 5:30 he talkes about his left hand muting technique. Its a diffrent insturment but the principal is still the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vujir_vJ7Zk

Here is a good example of a song where he uses the ghosted/dead notes
Tower of Power- What is hip?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puY2_cRLMbQ
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Last edited by TheMooseKnuckle at Jun 1, 2011,