My band is going to record some acoustic stuff (Parts in 2 songs and possibly an acoustic song). Anyway I do the recording and stuff and ive never actually recorded acoustic stuff before. Do you guys have any tips for me? Or at least how to record to get the best quality (like where to put mics and position them and stuff)?

p.s. I don't know if this is important but i use reaper and condenser mics (MXL 990 and 991)
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Last edited by 100% at May 31, 2011,
I would personally put the 991 in the neighborhood of the 12th fret pointing a little towards the body of the guitar, and the 990 somewhere in the neighborhood of the hole. I keep the mics around 6 inches to 1 foot from the guitar. I'm being vague here because every guitar and every room is different. Also, how you're playing can effect where the sweet spots for the mics are. Your best bet is to put on a pair of headphones and move the mic around until you're happy with the sound. There are other techniques out there, and a quick google search will give you some more ideas. Experimentation is key here. You have to find what works for you and your setup.
Do you only have they 2 mics?

My best results with acoustic guitar recording was to use three mics. The MXL 990 about 8 inches from the hole, a 991 at about the 8th fret at 6 inches away, and then another 991 going over your shoulder positioned near your left ear, about a foot away from the guitar; and then aim it towards the top of the 15th fret.

If you don't have any other mics, just play around with having the 990 at the hole, and then see what sounds better. Having the 991 over the shoulder, or pointing at the fret board.
Every time I stick a mic pointing at the sound hole, it sounds boomy.

If I use 1 mic, my first place to put it is pointing at about the 12th fret a foot or so away from the guitar.

If I use 2 mics, I'll put the second one as more of a "room" mic - maybe further out (4-6 feet or so), maybe behind the guitarist (hey, that's where *we* hear it from!), or sometimes near the headstock.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.