Any advice? I am being asked to leave by my parents on Aug 1st. Any advice on getting myself up and running?

I am eighteen and have about 500 bucks and sadly no car. haha for a laugh
Quote by dviv17
"It's just about what i think." - Woody B

THE GREAT WOODY B LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!
Your parents are dick nuggets.

Stay anyway.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Find a friend who'd support you for a month while you stabilise your life a bit.

Meanwhile, get a job, sell what you dont necessarily need and start looking for a cheap apartment of something.

Good luck cause it probobly wont be easy.
I just had to post this, didn't I.
Find someone who will take you in first.

Then Job.

Then apartment.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Thanks guys haha. I have a min wage job and I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this positon and if they got any advice.
Quote by dviv17

Any kind of job you get while at the age of 18 will not pay enough for you to live on your own unless you are lucky enough to find someone renting a room out cheaply. Sure, you might be able to afford rent for a cheap apartment but I doubt you could afford utilities and food at the same time. Sometimes you have to be realistic.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Why are your parents kicking you out?

Thank you for asking the question I'm wondering.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
As others have said. Spend all your time now looking for a job and anyone willing to let you live with them until you get on your feet. Have no shame in whatever job comes your way and try to stay in close contact with your parents, being friendly and not letting the separation to make things sour. You might need them later on.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
Why are your parents kicking you out?

I refuse to give advice until this question is answered.
My parents say that I don't respect them or appreciate them. Or that I do but I don't show it. And I smoke weed. And don't always put my dishes away. I don't really understand the whole reason or why we have problems in the first place alot of the times
Quote by dviv17

Quote by WOODY_B
My parents say that I don't respect them or appreciate them. Or that I do but I don't show it. And I smoke weed. And don't always put my dishes away. I don't really understand the whole reason or why we have problems in the first place alot of the times

If you want to stay in their house, you have to work for it. You can't just live off of them forever, and I'd imagine you'd be screwed on your own if at 18 years old you don't even know enough to put your dishes away
I pay rent, housework, and whatever I can do around the house. It's until I can find another place to stay, so it's nice for the moment. Wanting to move out since I'm going on 20, and that's really not cool.
Maybe start by showing them you really want to stay there and try a bit more to show them respect. Do some work around the house, or something. Maybe cut back on the weed, you'll need the money. Get a job, or look really hard for one. See if a friend would be ok with your crashing at their place for a while when you first get kicked out until you get yourself together. I dunno.
Quote by WOODY_B

More elaboration is desired, but I don't feel like just spending the thread badgering you to elaborate on why.

First off, quit the weed. I don't want to turn this into "Is it harmful/moral/should it be legal" thread, but whatever your opinion, it's an expensive, unnecessary habit. If you're getting the boot at 18, you're going to have to put necessities far above your vices, and I don't smoke it, so I don't know the exact price, but again, it's something that isn't a penny-per-pound, that you have to get more of regularly, and that serves little practical purpose in keeping a roof over your head and food in your stomach.

Next, clean up. If you have a beard, shave it, if you have long hair, cut it, get some nice clothes at outlet stores. First impressions last, and a guy who actually looks prepared, professional and wants the job is going to get it over a guy who's aloof and walks in the store in jeans and a T-shirt.

Third, apply everywhere you can. It's not any skin off your back if you have to turn down a job because you found a better one. It is skin off your back if you apply one place, get turned down, then as soon as you go to the next place, they're not hiring anymore. As soon as the help wanted sign goes up, go in there and get an application. Then hand it in within the week.

Fourth, have your pride, but keep it in check. If you don't put your best foot forward as a confident, capable, strong-willed individual, someone who does will get the job after their interview instead of you. That said, you're going to be living in hostels and/or with friends, riding public transit, checking your email and the news at coffee shops because you can't afford internet, and eating bargain bin food because it's all you can afford. So don't let your pride get in the way of living, but make sure you're confident and strong-willed when interacting with people.

Fifth, Remember that something's better than nothing. A minimum-wage physical labour job is a job you'll hate, but it'll put food in you. You're not going to enjoy walking to work when that's your job. But you know what you will enjoy? Being able to walk to that night's hotel room's minifridge, and having something there to eat for dinner.

Sixth, Be friendly. It seems like a small thing, but if there are two hard-working, capable, intelligent, qualified people, who do you think the boss is going to want to promote, the mopey guy who picks on the new guy, or the jovial guy who's engaging, personable, and gives the company a good public face?

And seventh, don't burn any bridges. You never know when that bridge you're holding a torch over will be your only path to a safe haven in a storm of debt collectors, taxmen, and the jerks of society.

These are just a few basic, general things, but a lot of people don't consider them, and they're important.

Quote by WOODY_B

If you:

Went out and diligently looked for/got a job
Cut back on the weed smoking
Helped out around the house

They'd probably let you stay.

EDIT: ^ He doesn't need to get a haircut/shave. As long as it's kept clean, it'll be fine. Besides, the only job he'll probably have a real shot at getting is production, and they really could give two shits about hair/beard length.
Last edited by goest at May 31, 2011,
Sounds like a pretty empty over dramatic parent/teenage disagreement...

Do you go to school or are planning on going to school for anything? Looking hard for a job? Smoking a lot and playing video games instead of doing either? I feel like if they really disliked you they wouldn't give you a two month deadline. You're 18, they can tell you to **** off whenever.

Try talking to them and see if on any situation you all can meet halfway. You have to sacrifice as much as your mother did when she became a loosey goosey birthing you.
NYY _______________________________________________ NYG
School: Plan(ed?) on going to comunnity college.

Job: I have a min wage job, saving for my own car atm.

Weed: I don't smoke and play videogames, I don't come home smelling like smoke, the only way that they know is that they will drug test me because my foreign exchange student got caught lol. And i'm outspoken i guess so ive voiced my opinion about marijuana a few times, not in a disrespectful way though.

Other: I am an eagle scout and i have played guitar every wednesday for the past four years at my church. It's not like i'm a bum. Teachers like me, friends rents' like me, I respect authority, it's just within my family that my life is troublesome.
Quote by dviv17

Quote by WOODY_B

Weed: I don't smoke and play videogames, I don't come home smelling like smoke, the only way that they know is that they will drug test me because my foreign exchange student got caught lol. And i'm outspoken i guess so ive voiced my opinion about marijuana a few times, not in a disrespectful way though.

Other: I am an eagle scout and i have played guitar every wednesday for the past four years at my church. It's not like i'm a bum. Teachers like me, friends rents' like me, I respect authority, it's just within my family that my life is troublesome.

You're an Eagle Scout? I know people's opinions on the military on here, but what's yours? If you're getting kicked out, you might look into the military honestly, as an eagle scout you get put in as a sergeant instead of as a private. And depending on which branch and what job you do, that can be like 3700 a month, this is on top of free housing, free healthcare, free dental and if you go into the Air Force free schooling (everyone gets the GI Bill, but the Air Force gets enrolled into a community college on base). It would be worth looking into.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by WOODY_B

If you're fine cutting expenses, you can probably still go.

Fair enough.

I'm not really sure how this changes my advice to quit. I mean yes, it's not like you're some freeloader who just sits around stoned all day, which is good to know, but that doesn't change that it's expensive and unnecessary. Quitting it would help paying for community college a fair amount methinks.

I know I said I wouldn't, but that being the case then, would you mind elaborating a bit more for me? Because if I'mt asking your word as fact, I don't get where anything is coming from, and I can't really figure what it is that makes them want you out. You sound like you have a likable personality if you're telling the truth about other people's attitudes(Nothing personal, it's just hard to judge the truthfulness of words without being there and hearing them), you're not disrespectful, you have a job, and a decent work ethic, you don't exactly sound like the kind of kid that gets kicked out at 18?

What else.. hmm okay well i'm trying to sort it all out in my mind too. I haven't even been able to figure out why we are still like mad at each other. I don't really now. I guess they don't feel that I respect them, my dad says I 'talk behind his back about him' which is more just me talking to my mom about him and family/everything else in general. My mom doesn't like that i 'don't talk to my dad'. Its not like I ignore him if he says something to me, he doenst really talk to me very much and i don't really go out of my way to talk to him. what else, I act like I don't appreciate them, although i will forever appreciate everything they've done for me but i guess i don't show it. that's all i really know, I come from a good family persay, just a normal middle class american family.
Quote by dviv17

I guess try and show your appreciation more and be familial? I feel like there's probably more in the ways of miscommunication and jumping to conclusions behind this, but that'd be a start to patching things.

There is a TON of miscommunication and jumping to conclusions behind this, and that's what makes me so mad
Quote by dviv17

Quote by WOODY_B
There is a TON of miscommunication and jumping to conclusions behind this, and that's what makes me so mad

Did you read my bit about the military and you being an Eagle Scout? You should definitely look into it, maybe talk to a recruit, I mean by talking to a recruit, you don't have to commit to anything. But Eagle Scouts get to skip being a private.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!