What would be the best for under $100. I was thinking about either the GGG Orange Squeezer which is on sale for another hour or the BYOC 5-knob,Ross, or Optical compressor. I have heard mixed things about the orange squeezer as far as country is concerned.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
I would stretch your budget a bit and get a Diamond Comp, I hate compressors usually but the Diamond sounds pretty good actually.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
I would stretch your budget a bit and get a Diamond Comp, I hate compressors usually but the Diamond sounds pretty good actually.

Damnit...Now I want one.
Damn GAS
The Ross clone for country. You want that squashed to all **** tone for chicken pickin.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks Man! Texans usually give good advice.

I thought the OSQ squashed the tone quite a bit, however I heard that it has an eccentric effect on tone. You have decided my fate...I will get the ross.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
The Orange Squeezer does squash your tone a ton. It's just not your typical country squash. It's very noisy too and doesn't have the most headroom.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Will I need to get a noise gate when using a compressor?
Also should I spend the extra money to get the vintage upgrade mod on the ross or should I just get the 5-knob comp. The 5-knob is basically the Ross with more options to tweak the sound? Or will the level and sustain knobs be enough to get the squash country tone I am looking for?
Do not get a soul preacher. I bought one about a year ago, and I took it back the next day. It was the noisiest POS pedal I've ever used. No matter where the knobs were set it made a horrendous hiss, which was only slightly lessened by turning the pedal off. Absolute garbage.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Thanks for the advice Jpatan

Anyone have any input on my last question?
I built a Soul Preacher clone last year. it is a POS. Noisey as fark.

Tons of info on compressors here:
http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml
He rates the Ross pretty high.
Check out cmatmods, he makes a ross clone and an original design. Hand built with quality parts and I think they are only around 140 usd.

Homebrew makes a nice one too.

On the cheapies, the guyatone st-2
I can't decide whether to get the 5-knob or the classic comp. IS the attack, tone, and ratio knob really worth the extra $30 if I am using it for one style of music? The tone knob is supposed to be used to better match single coils or humbucker but I only want to use this thing with a tele. Ratio knob seems cool but I could work around that.

Are these knobs just fixed resistors in the classic comp schematic or did they add that to the PCB for the 5-knob comp??
I guess I am going with the 5-knob unless any can tell me why the extra 3 knobs aren't worth $10 a piece in the time it takes me to checkout.