Well, I am kind of tired of reading the same old about people playing guitar then bass, wondering what bass is good, pedal is good, are my hands too big, too small, just right?

So, lets share some stories about some recent acquisitions or some new tech you installed or whatever. I wanna share some new ideas, tech, and whatever else is out there.

No new buys for me, but I just recently put a new switch in that flips between in and out of phase wiring. I'm running nordstrand p/j pickups, 2 vol pots, an aguilar obp-3 with a bass, treble and a push/pull mid, 2 9 volts and an active passive switch then the new switch to change to out of phase. I don't think I could fit any more stuff in my bass.

lets share.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I recently bought a boss dd3 so I could play jambi by tool
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
cool idea, how does out of phase sound on bass? Also call me stupid but can you have a 1 pickup anything out of phase?

Right now I am making a "Prick" bass, it's a squier P modified to be something of a p bass/rickenbacker hybrid. I took down to the raw wood, I am staining it neck and all in polyshades minwax oak, adding a second P pickup near the bridge, and running it through two volumes and tones, then a switch between mono both pickups, and stereo neck and bridge divided, I want to put a cover over the bridge pickup.

I am also building a cab from an old peavey combo for my new amp. And when time allows, get my dad to help me come up with a Preamp/pedal that sports a treb, mid, and bass eq and booster, flowing into a 12ax7 powered overdrive, so I can get more convincing gritty tones, and eventually run it into a power amp so I can use my new stereo bass in stereo :P:
no new purchases (soon...) but I have started taking earplugs and flattening them out then placing them under the strings of my bass. they make a really good mute because they form around the strings and never push too hard. gives me that nice thump I like.
no sir away a papaya war is on
lol you win. yes you can have an out of phase single pickup instrument, just gotta run the switch (or not) right from the input into the negative of the pup.

project sounds sick. I did my own cab, just a 1x12. was a fun project, but im no good at doing cabs haha too many factors to make it sound good

EDIT: it sounds good, very 70s punk sounding.

earplugs ftw, btw. lol
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Last edited by bassman10101 at Jun 1, 2011,
My cheapo P bass is wired wrong with the pickups out of phase. Took me ages to figure out what was wrong with it. Never bothered putting it right. Sounds really weird when both pickups are at the same volume.
smb: I've heard of a few cases like that. it's a bit of a shock when you get your brand new bass and it sounds like that haha dunno why i find that sound desirable.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Hmm nothing yet. Gonna start saving or another 6 string. But what i really need is some new strings and another expression pedal.
I did mod a free guitar i got though. Wilkinson pickups and tuners. Black pickguard. Took the logo of the headstock. Gonna get another ordered with something else on it. Might put a really hot humbucker in there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Mah Bronco is still in the 'new' phase. I swapped out the pickups, replaced the pots, and did a few cosmetic things (my waterslide decal will be in next week!!).

I'm such a fan, now, of modding my basses. You form a better bond with them and really learn about their inner workings.

I'm broke right now, haha, so no modding for a few months. I spent some store credit at a local music shop on a bunch of different string types, though. It's pretty crazy how much of an effect on your tone a simple string-swap can make.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
The last new thing I got was the Brice which I am still getting used to as far as playing a 6er.
I recently bought a CIJ Fender '51 Precision and stuck some rotobasses on, sounds MIGHTY.

Also bought a Skylark Acrylic 5 string Jazz Bass, then bought some Neon Pink strings for it, then bought a HYOWGE leather strap for it because it weight more than fat bastard, then bought some cheap Harley Benton pedals. I'll let you know how that all works out.
Looking to kinda get into modding this summer...... I'm gassing hard for a P-bass right now, opinions on the Squier VM versus the SX P-basses? And what are some things I could do to get more comfortable with modding? Any bass specific tools I need?
No bass specific ones, though I've found a truss rod is more important with basses. Also, learn to solder and learn to solder well. Ogrish hands that I can't hold steady means I can't mod without melting/burning/scorching/etc everything.
I recently just upgraded my rig, finally, after sticking it out with an Ampeg B12 combo for far too long. I stumbled across a couple used Bag End s15 cabs in guitar center on the cheap, jumped on those and added the Carvin BX500. I was kind of wary of how much boominess would occur using a 15 with upright bass, but I gave it a trial by fire last weekend at a gig, and the other guys in the quartet said it was sounding really smooth. The tricky thing was I needed a rig to double my electric and upright, but the BX500 has so many eq options that it seems to actually be really great, especially for the price (500watts, graphic and parametric eq, tube, 5lbs,under $400 ). Now I have the ability too to either bring one or both cabs, depending on the venue. Thinking of trading one of the 15s to get the S12 though, just for a bit more coverage of the tonal palette, although the 15s are surprisingly clear, probably the best 15in speakers I've heard.
Let's see... Over the last six months, sold my Acoustic B450, bought a Markbass LM Tube 800, bought a Gotoh 201, and Dimarzio Model J pickups for my VM Fretless, gave away my Acoustic 410, bought a Mesa Boogie 610, bought a Boss DD-7, Way Huge Green Rhino, and a Korg Pitchblack. Just picked up an SWR 412 last week and currently have the Mesa on loan to a friend until he or someone else buys it.

So my rig went from:
VM Jazz, Acoustic B450 & 410

to

VM Jazz (with upgrades), Korg PB, Way Huge Green Rhino, Boss DD-7, Markbass Tube 800, SWR 412.

I'm very happy.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Nothing since my Dave Hall VT1- which, btw, is a must if you want to emulate Mike Starr's tone from the latest AIC album without shelling out for an Ampeg- but I am looking to build this Summer, get the little brother involved to keep him out of trouble on his school holidays... Or get him outside and doing something other than playing Black Ops.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
... Or get him outside and doing something other than playing Black Ops.

lolololol thats a fact.

to the kid wondering about bass specific modding tools:

all I use is a soldering gun, screwdriver, wire strippers, and electrical tape haha nothing too fancy.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by Deliriumbassist
but I am looking to build this Summer, get the little brother involved to keep him out of trouble on his school holidays... Or get him outside and doing something other than playing Black Ops.

I saw that facebook status I thought my 500 hours on MW2 was bad.
Quote by Spaz91
I saw that facebook status I thought my 500 hours on MW2 was bad.

It is bad.

I've only just come close to that on Oblivion, and I've played that far too much.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Thanks for the suggestions on tools, now any good guides on how to wire and such? And what would be reccomended upgrades for a VM P-bass beyond new pickups?
Quote by Natebegreat
Thanks for the suggestions on tools, now any good guides on how to wire and such? And what would be reccomended upgrades for a VM P-bass beyond new pickups?

- New bridge (look into the Gotoh 201, Leo Quan Badass II/III, and Hipshot birdges)
- New tuning machines (Hipshot Ultralites are great for reducing headstock weight)
- New nut
- New pickguard if you don't like the original one
- Replace the guts of your bass (new pots, caps, jack, wiring, add shielding if needed)
- Refinish it if you want a different color
- Straplocks
- Ashtray covers (look awesome as long as they don't impede your playing)
- and if you have a lot of extra cash on hand and want an active eq, you can always shove a preamp in there.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I have some mod/build work coming up this next week. Mostly just finishing up projects that got shelved while I was moving.

1) Finish pickup and electronics installation for my custom bass that has been sitting around unfinished for 2 years
2) Trouble shoot ground hum on a Schecter studio 5: I picked this bad boy up for $100 ($10 after trading in some old rack gear)--it was in the junk pile because the preamp was shot. For now I've just wired it up passively, but maybe I'll get ambitious and do a DIY musicman 2 band clone if the passive tone really sucks.
3)Due to a nice pricing error, I picked up 8 new eminence alpha 8a speakers for $3 each a few weeks back, so I guess I better start planning out a cab design this weekend. I'm thinking two cabs with 4 speakers in a vertical array in each.

I plan on taking a trip to some used gear shops this weekend, so we'll see what new projects I have when I get back. I've really been considering making a sitar bass out of some junk parts, but budget has been too tight.
Quote by Tostitos
- New bridge (look into the Gotoh 201, Leo Quan Badass II/III, and Hipshot birdges)
- New tuning machines (Hipshot Ultralites are great for reducing headstock weight)
- New nut
- New pickguard if you don't like the original one
- Replace the guts of your bass (new pots, caps, jack, wiring, add shielding if needed)
- Refinish it if you want a different color
- Straplocks
- Ashtray covers (look awesome as long as they don't impede your playing)
- and if you have a lot of extra cash on hand and want an active eq, you can always shove a preamp in there.

Thanks for the thorough response, a few questions. Any good alternatives for machines besides Hipshot? $80 bucks for a set seems a bit steep to me, and I was thinking of putting in black hardware instead of the stock chrome. Secondly, best bass gear has those prewired harnesses for passive basses, that a good shot if I'm kinda nervous about wiring the whole thing myself? Don't want to spend more than maybe $250 on all the upgrades. Would like to have the whole project complete for less than the price of a MIM
If you want to spend as little as possible but still get good tuning machines, Gotoh is the way to go. Schaller also makes a good replacement, but they're not too much cheaper then Hipshot.

I'd highly recommend just getting the pickups you want instead of one of the pre-wired deals. Learning to solder isn't hard at all, it gives you more options pickup-wise, and if you need to re-solder a wire or something down the line, you can do it yourself as opposed to a tech charging you an outrageous price for such a simple fix. And you'll save money.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
This sucker is going on one of my Fender Jazz basses:

I don't know which one yet, but it shall most definitely come to pass.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Natebegreat
Thanks for the thorough response, a few questions. Any good alternatives for machines besides Hipshot? $80 bucks for a set seems a bit steep to me, and I was thinking of putting in black hardware instead of the stock chrome. Secondly, best bass gear has those prewired harnesses for passive basses, that a good shot if I'm kinda nervous about wiring the whole thing myself? Don't want to spend more than maybe $250 on all the upgrades. Would like to have the whole project complete for less than the price of a MIM

I used best bass gear to do my bass. bought some nordstrands and a prewired aguilar preamp. having a pre wired pre amp is nice because they give you the diagram of which wire gets soldered where. plus, the preamp came in a nice little black box so i didnt have to uber shield my bass (even though i did anyways).

to the poster who mentioned a trace elliot head:

I picked up an early 90s trace head a while ago because it was a great price for a lot of power and a reputable name. i hadnt played through many heads at that point, but i just played through a peavy mark 3 and i gotta tell you, pre takeover trace elliot heads are so effin good it makes me sad that they got taken over. anyways...

hopefully within the next week or 2 im going to be sanding down my body and neck (again) to re-stain (possibly paint something sick on it), and level out my neck (its fretless and i didnt level it out to begin with so now i got a lot of buzz on the higher frets). So, hopefully ill have some pics of my set-up 2011 coming soon haha maybe a new bridge too :X

im gonna look in to those bridges you guys posted before. anyone know if theyre any good with fretless?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
The Babicz probably is. Its saddles lock in place, too.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
The Babicz probably is. Its saddles lock in place, too.

werd. i got looking at the brands you guys listed. gotoh seems like a bigger version of the stock ibanez i got now, hipshots seem a little gimmicky? the schaeller (sp?) looks good and so does that babicz (also, sp?). i would have done more research but i got caught up looking into what woods i want to use for my dream bass haha :X maybe within the year ill order a neck and body from warmoth haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
So lovely bit of an update, that will certainly bring me some great joy. I went to GC to pick up some new bass strings because I felt like my old strings were losing a bit of their definition, it's been about 3 or 4 months so I felt okay with changing them now. Anyway... I walked in, got the strings then asked that incredibly stupid question "Do you guys have any fun toys for me to try out?" Salesman walked about and came back with an EHX POG 2. Joygasm. I plugged into a Markbass 1x12 combo with a Fender Jazz and twiddled around on it. Long story short I wound up putting a downpayment on it and am planning on picking it up this friday.

I'm really excited because of everything I can do with it, to help fill out the sound of my 3 piece, solo bits, more intricate bass parts, and paired with a delay pedal/looper, oh I can do so much. I could eliminate the necessity for my guitar player. Course I won't do that, but still. I'm pretty stoked.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Put fender vintage p pickups in my squier affinity p bass. Gonna get a nice set of flats, and I have my eye on a pre takeover trace 410 combo
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.
^ gahhhhhh I wanted a pre-takeover trace cab sooo bad when I got my head. unfortunately the head ran me enough to make getting a cab a sad story. i ended up with a beyma speaker that i stuck in an old cab and a carvin 4x10, not a bad cab. STILL, lucky goose jump on that cab.

as for me, my next cab will be some nice older edens, I think.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by bassman10101
^ gahhhhhh I wanted a pre-takeover trace cab sooo bad when I got my head. unfortunately the head ran me enough to make getting a cab a sad story. i ended up with a beyma speaker that i stuck in an old cab and a carvin 4x10, not a bad cab. STILL, lucky goose jump on that cab.

as for me, my next cab will be some nice older edens, I think.

I would if I could persuade my mum I need it lol... shop around used, its insanely better than new stuff
I'm selling an ernie ball wah pedal. Buy my ernie ball wah pedal.
Wah pedal.

Quote by 23dannybhoy23
That's got to be my all time favourite online death threat

Quote by smokeysteve22

My chest hurts after that.