I've been unsatisfied with the distortion on my Marshall vs100 combo (not that it's bad, its just seems to be lacking) and have been looking for a good pedal

I'm trying to capture sounds of bands like Baroness, Mastodon, and Isis.

I've done some research and narrowed my search to the EHX Metal muff and fulltone ocd. Which one of these would better suit the music I'm trying to play? Is the OCD "metal" enough? I don't need anything too over the top, but I need something with some power.

I play a 7-string schecter blackjack with semour duncan blackouts if anyone is wondering

Which of these pedals would be better? is there something else I should be looking at? thanks
The best advice I can give is to change your amp. While your amp isn't bad, it isn't the greatest either.

That said, how are you planning to use this pedal? Are you using it on your clean channel or to "boost" your distortion channel?

The OCD can definitely reach a metal tone on a clean channel, but if you plan to use it as a distortion on your clean channel, I'd recommend you look at something like the Wampler Triple Wreck.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
The fulltone is nice... very nice... From what i've heard all EHX pedals break after a while so they are quite unreliable...

Fulltone is a great company and ive seen stax of them being used in the hardcore and metal genre...
Check out a ZVEX box of metal... it is a high gain distortion pedal but i quite like it, gearmandude does a pretty sweet review on youtube

Hope you get the tone you're looking for
OCD doesnt handle metal so well. When you gain it up too much it gets muddy and fuzzy. OCD is perfect for crunchy sounds thou. You should try out Suhr Riot pedal, it does everything from the crunchy side of the OCD to a hi-gain monster pedal. It is the most versatile distortion pedal that i've ever used!
They are completely different.

I wouldn't recommend any of those for what you're looking for. The OCD doesn't have enough gain and the Metal Muff is buzzy and muddy. You'd best get a good distortion pedal like a TUA, Dominator or maybe a Barber Dirty Bomb to play over your clean channel.

What's your budget?
Quote by ZipperKink
OCD doesnt handle metal so well. When you gain it up too much it gets muddy and fuzzy. OCD is perfect for crunchy sounds thou. You should try out Suhr Riot pedal, it does everything from the crunchy side of the OCD to a hi-gain monster pedal. It is the most versatile distortion pedal that i've ever used!

Now that i think of it, I agree Suhr Riot could probably be your best bet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12EOtti7uJM
I wouldnt describe the Metal Muff as a buzzy pedal, not through a decent tube amps clean with a decent noise gate after it. I hav never had any trouble with EHX pedals breaking down. +1 on the triple wreck if you can afford it, they look sweet (neever played one though)
Crunchbox is roughly the same price as the OCD, much cheaper that the ocd in the used market (OCD tends to keep its value better) but the CB is much gainier and heavier. I sold my OCD and kept the CB, but since I got a triple wreck and a pinnacle, I use it as a boost in 18V.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
OCD is more a OD pedal. its probably not going to give you the gain you want. now if you used the OCD on a distortion (or a high gain amp) probably would sounds REALLY good.

WHAT? EHX has been making pedals forever. muffs are classics. never heard anything that bad from EHX. sure THESE days there are better, but they definitely are not bad pedals.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jun 1, 2011,
Triple Wreck for the brootz
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
For distortion pedals I highly recommend the Digitech TL-2 Metal or the MXR Fullbore pedal. They're both high quality and have a great range of tonal options. I personally own the Digitech and consider it to be the best distortion pedal I've ever owned. The array of tones it can produce is uncanny. I've only tested the Fullbore in a store, but I was very impressed with its tones as well.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
i have a Metal Muff and really love it. the one problem you will have is if you put it through the clean channel of your Valvestate marshall is that that channel is solid state (the tube is only on the overdrive channel. the MM sounds good (but not truly great) through solid state ( i have a Marshall Vs30 that i use for practice occasionally) as someone mentioned a different amp might be the better long term solution. personally i haven't found the MM to be buzzy at all, it has a great EQ section so if adjusted properly you shouldn't get any fizz. the OCD really won't work well with your amp, grat pedal but not for a mainly SS amp.
hey thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm stilling looking through everything but some of them sound pretty good.

to answer your questions, I'm not sure whether I'd use the pedal on my clean channel or to boost the distortion, whichever would work better is suppose

as for my budget I'm trying not to spend over 150 dollars and I'll probably buy the pedal used