I am going to purchase a Line 6 Spider valve 100w head and was wondering if i can mix the head with anoter brand's cabinet of lower wattage as I will be using it for bedroom playing some of the time?
ESP DJ 600V
Quote by Dio10101
You can get a regular cab and just keep the volume low for bedroom levels.

Ok, what about the issue of valve amps not performing at their best unless they are "turned up"??
ESP DJ 600V
Quote by JDN_DVS
Ok, what about the issue of valve amps not performing at their best unless they are "turned up"??

Well if the wattage of the cab is lower than your head then you'll blow your cab, and surely it's better that you can actually use the gear and have it not sound as good at home than if you were to blow your cab.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
haha well said mate, cheers
ESP DJ 600V
It would be safer in the long run to have a cab that is rated more than 100 watts, if you turn it up too much you will probably blow the drivers up in the speakers and risk damaging your amp.

Quote by JDN_DVS

I believe the line 6 has a master volume of some sort, so you can drive the pre amp tubes hard at lower volume levels. It will sound okayish....
Quote by TieMyRope669
It would be safer in the long run to have a cab that is rated more than 100 watts, if you turn it up too much you will probably blow the drivers up in the speakers and risk damaging your amp.

I believe the line 6 has a master volume of some sort, so you can drive the pre amp tubes hard at lower volume levels. It will sound okayish....

Awesome, cheers for that. I have always had a solid state amp's so this is my first venture in the wonderfull world of Valve Amp's....appreciate the advice, cheers
ESP DJ 600V
Ugh rather a lot of fail going on here.

First up, why are you not getting a cab rated the same as your amp? Getting a lower rated cab is just asking for trouble because you'll never know what volume is safe. You might as well just get a cab of 100W rating or more and be safe with it.

Second up, valve amps don't have an issue with low volumes. Depending on what you play they can sound better cranked up, but they don't have to be cranked up. They still sound pretty wonderful when they're turned down.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
They still sound pretty wonderful when they're turned down.
This man speaks the truth. Every time someone says "Hurr valve amps sound bad at low volumes" I just want to smack someone.

This is a common misconception originating from people who literally keep their amp on 0.5 volume. The loss in tone that they're experiencing is not in any way related to the fact that its a valve amp, it's the fact that the speakers aren't being driven at...well...all. This will happen with ANY amp.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jun 1, 2011,
cheers for clearing that up. So all good in mixing a different brand of Cabinet just as long as the wattage is equal or higher. Thanks for the info
ESP DJ 600V
You also need to make sure the Ohm's match up, that's a more important factor than wattage. If your head has an 8Ohm out you need a cab rated at 8Ohm, or 16 -> 16 / 4 -> 4. You get the idea.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

First and fore most.

MOST cabs won't blow if you match it with a amp of significantly greater power, all you'll do is wreck your speakers.

Plug your 100 watt head into a speaker rated for 30 watts and it won't go boom, but you'd probably tear the speakers a new one.

However, if you plug your 100 watts amp into an 80 watts speaker, you'd probably get some speaker distortion earlier than expected, but there should be no problem.

Just remember to match your amps impedance to the cab's load.

Ideally, just get a cab that's rated equal to or higher than your amp.

Second, you need to get your master volume high to get your power tubes cooking, then your tone will start to sing. At lower volumes, your tone may sound thin and slightly shrill, but it won't sound like an MG. You can definitely use the SV at bed room levels.

Third, you should not face the issue of not being able to crank the Spider Valve.
What you need to do is set ALL your patches channel volume to REALLY REALLY LOW - like 0.5 and then dial up your master to get the volume up.

Because your amp has a modeling front-end, it doesn't matter whether your channel volume is at 1 or at 8... the quality of sound coming through will be the same. By dialing up your master volume, you're getting the power tubes to cook and amplify the low channel volume. As the SV relies on a modded version of the Pod 2.0 firmware, there is still a digital edge to the tones, cranking the power tubes helps overcome the digital sound.

Word of warning though, you need to remember to dial down your master before changing patches or twiddling with the model knob, otherwise you'd lose your hearing for a few days when the volume jumps.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
First and fore most.

MOST cabs won't blow if you match it with a amp of significantly greater power, all you'll do is wreck your speakers.

Plug your 100 watt head into a speaker rated for 30 watts and it won't go boom, but you'd probably tear the speakers a new one.

However, if you plug your 100 watts amp into an 80 watts speaker, you'd probably get some speaker distortion earlier than expected, but there should be no problem.

Just remember to match your amps impedance to the cab's load.

Ideally, just get a cab that's rated equal to or higher than your amp.

Second, you need to get your master volume high to get your power tubes cooking, then your tone will start to sing. At lower volumes, your tone may sound thin and slightly shrill, but it won't sound like an MG. You can definitely use the SV at bed room levels.

Third, you should not face the issue of not being able to crank the Spider Valve.
What you need to do is set ALL your patches channel volume to REALLY REALLY LOW - like 0.5 and then dial up your master to get the volume up.

Because your amp has a modeling front-end, it doesn't matter whether your channel volume is at 1 or at 8... the quality of sound coming through will be the same. By dialing up your master volume, you're getting the power tubes to cook and amplify the low channel volume. As the SV relies on a modded version of the Pod 2.0 firmware, there is still a digital edge to the tones, cranking the power tubes helps overcome the digital sound.

Word of warning though, you need to remember to dial down your master before changing patches or twiddling with the model knob, otherwise you'd lose your hearing for a few days when the volume jumps.

Awesome advice without a condescending tone..... Thanks very much, will def use ur advice
ESP DJ 600V
I think the Spider Valve doesn't have preamp valves (the preamp's an ss modeling device after all), but a valve power-amp only? Maybe also phase inverter 12AX7, I don't know.

Anyway, there are plenty of cabs rated for 100w, even small 1x12" ones. But it's really only an issue if you turn the amp up a lot, which you'll rarely get to do with 100w of tube.
Quote by TheQuailman
I think the Spider Valve doesn't have preamp valves (the preamp's an ss modeling device after all), but a valve power-amp only? Maybe also phase inverter 12AX7, I don't know.

Anyway, there are plenty of cabs rated for 100w, even small 1x12" ones. But it's really only an issue if you turn the amp up a lot, which you'll rarely get to do with 100w of tube.

It has 2 12AX7s... one's to raise the level after the Pod preamp, while the second's the phase splitter. I'm quite sure it doesn't have a tube buffered FX loop.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by TheQuailman
That's weird, I'd have thought they wouldn't need that first tube.

in the 3 years I had that amp, I never could figure out what the hell that extra tube was for.

Maybe its like the old Vox VT with the one lonely 12AX7 in the front end for that tube feel. Although the SV really didn't have that tube response.

I'd have thought that it would have made more sense to put the 12AX7 before the Pod preamp like what the SVPre mod did to actually add that tube feel to the amp.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Before you go off into the SV, what styles of music are you playing?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Advice, don't but a line 6 amp lol
Ibanez RG 550 Exx Black
Jackson DK 2T Skulls Custom
Marshall AVT 100
Orange Dual Terror Head
Blackstar 408 Cab
Boss ME 20
Line 6 pod 2.0
Quote by Matt_bough
Advice, don't but a line 6 amp lol

The Spider Valve uses an updated version of the Pod 2.0 you own.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The pod that i own is used in my studio for other people lol!
Ibanez RG 550 Exx Black
Jackson DK 2T Skulls Custom
Marshall AVT 100
Orange Dual Terror Head
Blackstar 408 Cab
Boss ME 20
Line 6 pod 2.0