So today I just started watching a Panorama documentary about abuse in care homes and hospitals in the UK. It involves a detective going undercover and seeing what they're doing.

Here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011pwt6/Panorama_Undercover_Care_The_Abuse_Exposed/

Even if you're not going to watch it, discuss.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
I find it disgusting too. These people are supposed t be HELPING the disabled...
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Watched it last night, that pikey with the tattoos needs locking up for a long time.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Sherlock_Bones
Watched Breaking a Female Pedophile Ring on Channel 4 last week and that was equally disturbing.

I'll check that out later.

Anyway, I've just watched 15 min of the panorama documentary and it's very disturbing.
The people running the carre home a f*cking bullies and need to be locked away and/or put down.
They need to learn to stop taking advantage of people with severe learning disabilities.

Assault, verbal abuse...probably more...
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

This sort of thing makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. My nan lived out her final few years in a wonderful care home and seeing the warmth and love she received from care staff compared with what those poor people have had to endure is just heart wrenching. How or why some people get jobs in care is beyond me.

A salient point I might add though, obvious as though it may seem, is that this sort of behaviour is carried out by a tiny minority of care workers. I used to work in a care home and am now a student nurse and have had the privilege of working alongside some of the most wonderful nurses, social workers, health care assistants and carers imaginable. Understandably, the media wants to expose poor standards of care (or in cases such as this, outright abuse) and this is for good reason - pressure for change cannot be applied if people are unaware of what is going on. It is important in all of this, however, that the wonderful, loving, genuine carers - the majority of whom are such - are not forgotten either.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Quote by boycew02
This sort of thing makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach. My nan lived out her final few years in a wonderful care home and seeing the warmth and love she received from care staff compared with what those poor people have had to endure is just heart wrenching. How or why some people get jobs in care is beyond me.

A salient point I might add though, obvious as though it may seem, is that this sort of behaviour is carried out by a tiny minority of care workers. I used to work in a care home and am now a student nurse and have had the privilege of working alongside some of the most wonderful nurses, social workers, health care assistants and carers imaginable. Understandably, the media wants to expose poor standards of care (or in cases such as this, outright abuse) and this is for good reason - pressure for change cannot be applied if people are unaware of what is going on. It is important in all of this, however, that the wonderful, loving, genuine carers - the majority of whom are such - are not forgotten either.

Of course it's a minority, but it is still shocking to see someone be bullied like that.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

Not a big fan of Panorama (They turned me off on the Video Game Addiction episode), but this issue disgusts me to the core. I've volunteered at nursing homes and have had two hospital visits (Both surgeries) and I personally haven't experienced any abuses in my neck of the woods. If anything, one nursing home told me I had to be certified to volunteer (They had a little day long course to certify you).

Aren't these places supposed to heal and help people, not hurt them? Do people get their sick kicks by abusing the elderly and disabled? There's a special circle in Hell just for people like that.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Saw Ibanez talking about it in the politics thread. Disgusting.

Yeah it is disgusting. My PCT (the "care home" was on our patch) has sent loads of assessors out there to see how many people they can get out today.
Not Available because I'm a Yankee.

The same thing happens here. There was a home in Quakertown, PA that was shut down for violating health code and patient abuse, but it was only shut down after two residents died... Its sad, really. People end up there because the rest of us don't want to see them go, but we end up sending them to their deaths faster, at least in some of these places.

My grandmother was in one in Doylestown, PA that constantly smelled of stale piss and cleaning fluid. It was better then where she was, however; they found that most of the bones in her feet had been broken when she was admitted to the new place.
I'm not denying that what's going on is horrific, but bear in mind that Panorama's job is to make documentarys as shocking and controversial as possible, so they probably pick and choose the footage they actually show in order to make it seem worse than it actually is.

Although, even so it is pretty messed up.
-TimmyExtreme-
Quote by TimmyExtreme
I'm not denying that what's going on is horrific, but bear in mind that Panorama's job is to make documentarys as shocking and controversial as possible, so they probably pick and choose the footage they actually show in order to make it seem worse than it actually is.

Did you watch it?

The footage WAS horrific. They wouldn't have had a documentary if there was nothing there to report.

There should never be any verbal abuse, physical abuse, kicking, slapping, or even restraining in these places. That has all happened in this place.
Quote by TimmyExtreme

And these places pick and choose photos and footage to make their 'amenities' seem like Heaven. The place my grandmother was in had pictures of clean hallways, new elevators, and a manicured lawn...

...When I saw it, the elevators hadn't been updated since 1970 (And hadn't been inspected since 2007), their hallways were littered with food scraps, and their outdoors were positively atrocious. It looked like a prison in person. The only reason we kept Grandma in there was because it was the only place that had staff which spoke Spanish. Mom visited almost twice a week and got used to it, pretty lucky that some of the staff cared.
Last edited by L2112Lif at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by L2112Lif
Not Available because I'm a Yankee.

The same thing happens here. There was a home in Quakertown, PA that was shut down for violating health code and patient abuse, but it was only shut down after two residents died... Its sad, really. People end up there because the rest of us don't want to see them go, but we end up sending them to their deaths faster, at least in some of these places.

My grandmother was in one in Doylestown, PA that constantly smelled of stale piss and cleaning fluid. It was better then where she was, however; they found that most of the bones in her feet had been broken when she was admitted to the new place.

I couldn't watch it either, I claim prejudice against Americans!!!

Nah, this kind of stuff is typical of retirement homes, it's like hell for most people. I've watched a couple of my family members wither away in places like these, I hope somebody shoots me before I end up in one of those places.

On another note, ya'lls healthcare is regulated by the government...so they kinda responsible for letting this happen....I doubt you would see that kind of abuses in American hospitals atm, unless it was in Gunbarrel city or something. Course, the doctors here in Austin are some of the worst doctors in all of America....
Quote by ethan_hanus
I couldn't watch it either, I claim prejudice against Americans!!!

Nah, this kind of stuff is typical of retirement homes, it's like hell for most people. I've watched a couple of my family members wither away in places like these, I hope somebody shoots me before I end up in one of those places.

On another note, ya'lls healthcare is regulated by the government...so they kinda responsible for letting this happen....I doubt you would see that kind of abuses in American hospitals atm, unless it was in Gunbarrel city or something. Course, the doctors here in Austin are some of the worst doctors in all of America....

This institution was private. But you're right, safeguards were failed.

And that kind of stuff should not be typical in retirement homes. People deserve to die with dignity.
A lot of old people can't weight bear so they need wheelchairs and to be hoisted into and out of bed. It doesn't mean they deserve to be abused or treated like animals.

I read a safeguarding incident recently written by a visiting carer who was reading the newspaper to this old man. He had dementia and was very frail and incontinent but was still a pleasant man. His bedtime was 10.30 and it was 9 so the carer left, so he could have his cup of tea and get settled and calm before bed. As she was leaving she realised she left her car keys with the gentleman so she turned back around and went back to his room.

It was locked and the light was off. She went to an orderly and demanded to know what was going on, so he opened the door. The man was in there, in the dark, sat up in bed still, fully clothed, with the newspaper still across his legs. He was crying and the bedsheets were soaked because they hadn't changed his incontinence pads. They hadn't prepared him for bed or given him the evening tea he has every night, they'd just shut the light of and locked him in.

Is that acceptable? I don't think it is. Just because he won't remember it happening by the morning doesn't mean he deserves to be treated like scum.
Ugh... This stuff's just awful, plain and simple. I can't even imagine wanting to do this stuff to anyone.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
A lot of old people can't weight bear so they need wheelchairs and to be hoisted into and out of bed. It doesn't mean they deserve to be abused or treated like animals.

I read a safeguarding incident recently written by a visiting carer who was reading the newspaper to this old man. He had dementia and was very frail and incontinent but was still a pleasant man. His bedtime was 10.30 and it was 9 so the carer left, so he could have his cup of tea and get settled and calm before bed. As she was leaving she realised she left her car keys with the gentleman so she turned back around and went back to his room.

It was locked and the light was off. She went to an orderly and demanded to know what was going on, so he opened the door. The man was in there, in the dark, sat up in bed still, fully clothed, with the newspaper still across his legs. He was crying and the bedsheets were soaked because they hadn't changed his incontinence pads. They hadn't prepared him for bed or given him the evening tea he has every night, they'd just shut the light of and locked him in.

Is that acceptable? I don't think it is. Just because he won't remember it happening by the morning doesn't mean he deserves to be treated like scum.

No, I agree with you on every count, read my above posts. I'm simply saying that Dignity isn't quite the right word anymore. There's a stigma to aging to the point where you can't bear your own weight, there's a stigma to being unable to help yourself. Private industry have destroyed the idea of 'aging with dignity' with poor campaigns for useful materials.

What I'm saying is... Ugh, how to word... People don't exactly help when they come out with some retarded advertisement for Life Alert or the Hoveround on TV...
There isn't really a discussion to be had. The abuse is disturbing and needs to be stamped out, I think we can all agree about that.

I'm about 20mins into the documentary (will watch the rest after I've had dinner) but the entire facility looks like it has been planned extremely poorly. Both the staff and patients look like they have nothing to do and unfortunately some of the lowlifes that have managed to get jobs their have found entertainment through bullying.
Last edited by Death_switch at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by L2112Lif
No, I agree with you on every count, read my above posts. I'm simply saying that Dignity isn't quite the right word anymore. There's a stigma to aging to the point where you can't bear your own weight, there's a stigma to being unable to help yourself. Private industry have destroyed the idea of 'aging with dignity' with poor campaigns for useful materials.

What I'm saying is... Ugh, how to word... People don't exactly help when they come out with some retarded advertisement for Life Alert or the Hoveround on TV...

No, it is absolutely about dignity. I don't know what else you could call it. They deserve a dignified life – to have their incontinence pads regularly changed, to be dressed nicely not just wandering around in pyjamas all day, to take care of themselves, etc.

If a mobility scooter helps them to gain a bit of independence I don't see why that's a bad thing?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
No, it is absolutely about dignity. I don't know what else you could call it. They deserve a dignified life – to have their incontinence pads regularly changed, to be dressed nicely not just wandering around in pyjamas all day, to take care of themselves, etc.

If a mobility scooter helps them to gain a bit of independence I don't see why that's a bad thing?

Its not the existence of the mobility scooter, nor is it the existence of Life Alert. They're both good things, but... Ugh.

To most people, from the outside looking in, the thought process is 'well, if they can't use their legs shouldn't they have help? Why are they trying to stay at home?'

Then, there's the absurdly comfortable position in which the actress is lying during the Life Alert commercials that make them comical rather than informative.

Its NOT that I think these things are bad, but their portrayal makes them SEEM, as far as I've observed in my general area, undignified...
Quote by L2112Lif
Its not the existence of the mobility scooter, nor is it the existence of Life Alert. They're both good things, but... Ugh.

To most people, from the outside looking in, the thought process is 'well, if they can't use their legs shouldn't they have help? Why are they trying to stay at home?'

Then, there's the absurdly comfortable position in which the actress is lying during the Life Alert commercials that make them comical rather than informative.

Its NOT that I think these things are bad, but their portrayal makes them SEEM, as far as I've observed in my general area, undignified...

You're attaching weird emotions to old actors unable to act "convincingly" and medical technologies lol.

They're there to help seniors. I don't get what you're trying to say dude.
Quote by blake1221
You're attaching weird emotions to old actors unable to act "convincingly" and medical technologies lol.

They're there to help seniors. I don't get what you're trying to say dude.

I agree.
Just been on the news, 4 of them have been arrested.

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I don't have the heart to watch this, those poor people.

My mom used to work at an elderly care home and she seen one of the nurses hitting an old lady so my mom confronted her about it and reported her. My mom was about 15 at the time. It's sad knowing these people are supposed to help.
STಠ_ಠ
Not able to watch the video.

But OT I remember hearing that mental hospitals are the worst. I heard about some experiment where sane college students agreed to be committed to see how patients were treated, and when the experiment was over they couldn't even convince the staff that they were actually sane.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Just an update, we have removed all of our patients from Winterbourne View and it is likely it will be shut down.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Just an update, we have removed all of our patients from Winterbourne View and it is likely it will be shut down.

Good. I haven't seen the video, but is there any way they could fix it up, stick it under a different management with a different staff, and re-open it?
Quote by L2112Lif
Good. I haven't seen the video, but is there any way they could fix it up, stick it under a different management with a different staff, and re-open it?

No, the damage has been done. Nobody would send a relative to somewhere so notorious now.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
No, the damage has been done. Nobody would send a relative to somewhere so notorious now.

Alright, thats what they did to one place here... Basically closed it, fired the previous staff, got the building to code, put safeguards in, and then put the place under State supervision. Its better now, under a new name and what is essentially a new building.
Maybe that will happen I don't know. At the moment the main concern is getting the patients out of all the facilities this company owns, since they have no qualms employing violent thugs as carers.