Hello

I'm guessing that at least someone here has a gig but has a really limited amount of practice time say 1 hour or 2 hours per day.

Though It's for drums, I'm really having a hard time memorizing songs in such a short span of time... 2 hours isn't enough for me to really focus on a part too much so I just play it the whole way through and try to think of improvising something instead(I suck at note for note playing when not given enough time)

Any advice?
Imrpovising is the way to go then, given the fact that you know the song quite well and what would fit in the part you're playing. Actually, I don't think that any drummer really plays everything note for note.
I've been in a similar situation twice.

It's really just a case of getting the songs in your head.

If 1/2 hours of practice isn't enough, do more, there's the simple option!
And if note for note playing isn't your thing, don't do it note for note, keep it accurate but mix it up a bit if you need to.
Listen to the songs you have to learn all the day long for the two remaining days.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I've been in a similar situation twice.

It's really just a case of getting the songs in your head.

If 1/2 hours of practice isn't enough, do more, there's the simple option!
And if note for note playing isn't your thing, don't do it note for note, keep it accurate but mix it up a bit if you need to.

Heheh can't add more than 1 or 2 hours (2 is pushing it right now).

For a long time I was really wondering if we drummers should do it note for note ( I know people who can) but I guess I never really got to do that.

I like improvising more really. But is it really more fulfilling to play note for note?
I kinda get bored learning it note for note even when given enough time

Yup I actually listened to the songs the whole day just looping it.
Hopefully I'll actually remember a part or two

The transitions are still sketchy but I got two days to correct that.
Damn progressive music, ****ing hard to count sometimes and especially when you're under pressure.
make a playlist out of the songs, put it on repeat and put it on when you sleep, it actually helps some people memorize better
Quote by gothblade

Any advice?

cancel gig. Do one when you're ready.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by gothblade
I like improvising more really. But is it really more fulfilling to play note for note?
I kinda get bored learning it note for note even when given enough time

[...]

Damn progressive music, ****ing hard to count sometimes and especially when you're under pressure.

I think half the fun of the drums is adding on to it as you go. That being said, you need a solid foundation to get the best out of it. Honestly, I'd just have a basic pattern in mind for all major parts of the song and add frills and fills as you see fit on stage.

Well, if you're having trouble with counting the time signatures, then you're not ready for the gig at all. I've noticed most drummers (even among the best) play simpler ideas with complex time signatures and it sounds great. Just get your band through the odd time and really shine on meters that you are more comfortable with (3/4, 4/4 and 12/8 probably).

When complex transitions are being played in prog, I've noticed the drummers often just beat the snare with every guitar note to give it that "OOMPH!" The best ones will occassionally roughly match pitches with the different toms, but just play the snare under a guitar fill and noone will complain.

Get your practice in and be confident! Remember, you're doing this because you like it; enjoy the gig: mistakes and all.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by Sean0913
Why are you pushed to the last minute to get this done?

Sean

Well it might be my second and last gig for drums. I'm going to be seriously busy at work. My former bandmates left me because of personal reasons and put 9 months of "practicing" to waste.

With that said I really want to play, It's really been a bit rough cause this what I really want to do but life comes first I guess.

So I'm not gonna waste my chance of at least performing for one last time for now.

I think half the fun of the drums is adding on to it as you go. That being said, you need a solid foundation to get the best out of it. Honestly, I'd just have a basic pattern in mind for all major parts of the song and add frills and fills as you see fit on stage.

Well, if you're having trouble with counting the time signatures, then you're not ready for the gig at all. I've noticed most drummers (even among the best) play simpler ideas with complex time signatures and it sounds great. Just get your band through the odd time and really shine on meters that you are more comfortable with (3/4, 4/4 and 12/8 probably).

When complex transitions are being played in prog, I've noticed the drummers often just beat the snare with every guitar note to give it that "OOMPH!" The best ones will occassionally roughly match pitches with the different toms, but just play the snare under a guitar fill and noone will complain.

Get your practice in and be confident! Remember, you're doing this because you like it; enjoy the gig: mistakes and all.

Yeah, I'll enjoy it all right even when I'm going to be terrible.

Yup I really like adding a bit more spice for each song that's why I like improvising.
My improvisation may not be too complex but at least it's on time though(at the very least)

Thanks for all the advice

Kinda progressing a bit at what I'm practicing but at least I got the songs stuck in my head.
Since your practice time is limited you can try just constantly going over the songs in your head and focusing on your parts. This is just one thing you can do away from the drums to try and learn the parts. Good luck with the gig hopefully everything works out alright!