Poll: Which cab
Poll Options
View poll results: Which cab
Marshall 1936
1 25%
Zilla vertical 2x12
3 75%
Voters: 4.
Right, so i have a Marshall 1936, and while i like how it looks, and the size of it. Not really too keen on the sound, which i guessed is sorta 50% speakers! so here are my options.

Marshall 1936 & New speakers (looking at 2 V30's)

or

Custom 'Zilla' vertical 2x12 cabinet custom made to my specs, and made to match my amp (with V30s also)

Opinions?

This is what the zilla will look like, But vertically.
Gear:-
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall DSL50 (In the process of modding!)
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special
Fender 'Marcus Miller' Jazz Bass

My Band
Juturna

Last edited by Rossmillertarn! at Jun 1, 2011,
Why have you limited yourself to those 2?

If you have money to spend (a lil under a grand) Id say take on Orange or Mesa 212. If your on a low budget (200e) you can get a new Harley Benton G212 Vintage with Vintage 30s. Amazing cab for the price.
Just go to the shop and try a load out.
Ibanez RG 550 Exx Black
Jackson DK 2T Skulls Custom
Marshall AVT 100
Orange Dual Terror Head
Blackstar 408 Cab
Boss ME 20
Line 6 pod 2.0
Well the custom cab is £400 which is pretty much my budget. it has to be a 2x12 cos of space, and i like to use it on it's side so the top speaker is a little higher, and easier to hear. Also, It'd be nice if it was wide enough for my head to sit onto it I looked at an orange 2x12, and it's like £470, and for £400 i could get the zilla cab to the exact specs, and have it match my amp looks wise too!
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna

If you don't mind spending the extra cash I'm sure the zilla will be better. The cosmetic aspect shouldn't really affect your decision (though it's still cool to have a sexy cab), but the marshall w/ new speakers will work out a lot cheaper. I think I'd probably fork out the extra cash for the cab. Then you've got a keeper, rather than an ok cab with decent speakers that you'll probably want to unload in a couple of years anyway.
Get the Zilla cab. They have a pretty good reputation, and the one I heard so far sounded pretty good.

Also, even if i might get killed for that, V30 are not the answer to everything. They are most of the time a solid choice, but depending on the music you play, the amp you have and the sound you're after, there might be a better choice.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
I've tried my amp out with a V30 cab before, and it sounded just what i was looking for, but i know how much of a difference the actual cab makes! I'll probably go with the zilla!
Mesa Single Rectifier
Fender 2x12 Deville
Marshall 1960 (V30's)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special

My Band
Juturna