I have no idea what to get. I mostly play punk-rock, (Blink-182, Green Day, Bowling for Soup, etc) alternative rock, and a bit of metal. I plan to be playing in a band in the near future. I don't need any effects. I'm using a DS-1 for distortion. I would prefer solid-state cuz they're easier to maintain, but I'm ok with trying out tubes. I wouldn't like to go too much over $200 (USD).
Bugera V22.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Bugera V22.

+1

It ain't solid-state, but it blows any solid-state amp right out of the water for the price. You don't really get better value valve amps than the V22. Beats the Blackstar HT-5 hands-down at a better price.

It comes with the responsibility of a valve amp (changing valves, being nice to it, etc.) but also all the pros which almost all solid-state amps can only dream of (real distortion, smooth clipping, pure awesomeness, etc.).

Looks bloody awesome too.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
The fact that Bugera didn't know whether the V22 needed to be biased or not has really made me wonder about them. All the other stuff people have said about them I've taken with a grain of salt, but that fact is appauling.

TS - Are you willing to go used? There really isn't a good option at $200 new. I'd stick to solid state with that budget.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
The fact that Bugera didn't know whether the V22 needed to be biased or not has really made me wonder about them. All the other stuff people have said about them I've taken with a grain of salt, but that fact is appauling.

Oh, has Bugera replied regarding the baising yet?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Oh, has Bugera replied regarding the baising yet?

I've seen several replies in that thread that basically say 'we don't know,' that people have received. A guy from this forum (ikey) posted and said he was told it is fixed bias and should be biased to 22ma. The simple fact that people got any answer other than a direct one is mind-boggling.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I've seen several replies in that thread that basically say 'we don't know,' that people have received. A guy from this forum (ikey) posted and said he was told it is fixed bias and should be biased to 22ma. The simple fact that people got any answer other than a direct one is mind-boggling.

Eh???? That's really strange.

At the very least, this is a key piece of info they must release when they release the amps.

Phail.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Fair enough, I'm none too keen on Bugera's service either. I mean, don't they know the correct bias of their own amp?

However, I'd still recommend the V22 as it really can't be beat for tone and value. Although from what I hear the VHT Special 6 Ultra sounds like a match.

Having said that, the V22 is a lot easier to get hold of, and while the Special 6 Ultra might be a match, I doubt it'll be able to beat the V22. The Special 6 Ultra combo was only available in Europe through Thomann, and now they've sold out.

You might have better luck stateside though, and the head version is more widely available (at least here).

On tone to price alone though, I can certainly back the V22. Lovely machine.

Quote by tubetime86
TS - Are you willing to go used? There really isn't a good option at $200 new. I'd stick to solid state with that budget.

Ah, I maybe wouldn't have backed the V22 so quickly if I'd paid attention to this. Sorry, I get confused with your dollars. You could probably find a V22 for £200, but not $200.

Nevertheless, save up.

Nah, I'm joking really (although it is worth saving up for). Tubetime86 is right when he says that there aren't many valve options at $200. However, the Special 6 Ultra's little brother, the Special 6, is meant to be great for the money and should be viable at -$200. fficial&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=532&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10248138980803709369&sa=X&ei=SHvmTfDgHMSUswbGtbSiCA&ved=0CFUQgggwAjhu">Here's the combo and here's the head.

However, the Special 6 isn't as versatile as you might like it to be.

With the exception of little 5 watt practive amps (Bugera V5, Crate V5, etc.), that's pretty much it from -my- catalog of valve amps.

Also, can I just say how bloody jealous I am of the prices you guys get stateside? You have no idea how lucky you lot are.

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by tubetime86
I don't care as long as it works.
Quote by phayzze
I don't care as long as it works.

In that case - Marshall MG100FX!

No.

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Is the V22 good for gigging? And would it work well with a DS-1 distortion pedal? Also how portable is it?
A Roland Cube.
Very versatile and crushing distortions.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
A Roland Cube.
Very versatile and crushing distortions.

Its not a mg microstack dude...
Quote by phayzze
Is the V22 good for gigging? And would it work well with a DS-1 distortion pedal? Also how portable is it?

Yes and Probably. it is a 1x12 combo that has valves, so not to big and bulky, you should be able to carry it one handed.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by phayzze

It's heavy but portable enough, and, though I've never taken mine gigging, I would imagine it would be very good at it. Its wildcard lies in the fact that it is powerful enough to handle volume well above bedroom levels (and presumably your average small gig) on its own steam, yet also performs very well at low volumes.

Having said that, you might want the opinion of someone who's actually gigged with it. All I can say is that it's moveable and pretty much loud as you want it.

Now, to pedals.

It eats pedals. Honestly, it sucks in distortion pedals so brilliantly that you'll never want to pull them out. It has sex with them. It's awesome.

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_