I've been getting fret buzz on my Epiphone V on the lower strings at around the twelfth fret and higher. I have the action quite high, and I checked bow by fretting the first and nineteenth frets, and there is about a 1-3 mm gap between the string and the eighth fret. Any ideas to what could be causing it, and how I could fix it?
Quote by robhc
I've been getting fret buzz on my Epiphone V on the lower strings at around the twelfth fret and higher. I have the action quite high, and I checked bow by fretting the first and nineteenth frets, and there is about a 1-3 mm gap between the string and the eighth fret. Any ideas to what could be causing it, and how I could fix it?

and if you can fit more than a credit card in the middle relief when fret
in both places, then you have too much relief.

that can cause fret buzz.

and so can a high fret in the area of the buzz.

remember we are talking about buzz that transmits thru the amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by jj1565
and if you can fit more than a credit card in the middle relief when fret
in both places, then you have too much relief.

that can cause fret buzz.

and so can a high fret in the area of the buzz.

remember we are talking about buzz that transmits thru the amp.

Just checked it again. Fretting those frets, I could fit in a 0.9mm pick in between the string and the fret. It fit in a little loosely, so I would estimate the gap to be 1-1.2mm wide. I checked the frets that were buzzing, it was buzzing from the twelfth fret, right up to the twenty-first. Is it likely the neck relief is causing this? Should adjust the truss rod?
it's probably not going to be the relief.

because it would nice if you get away with
less gap, but it shouldn't effect just one string
and not higher than than 12th.

are the strings fresh?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
it's probably not going to be the relief.

because it would nice if you get away with
less gap, but it shouldn't effect just one string
and not higher than than 12th.

are the strings fresh?

It's not just the one string it's effecting. It's effecting most notably the E and A strings, but the D as well to a lesser extant. High E, B and G are all right though.

Strings are fairly fresh. I put a set of elixirs on a little over two weeks ago. When I did though, I needed to take of the TOM to get under the pick guard to fix a wiring issue. It's possible I put something back on incorrectly? That said however, I would have thought the issue would present itself sooner. I only just noticed it today, and I've been playing the guitar at least every other day since I did it.
Quote by robhc
It's not just the one string it's effecting. It's effecting most notably the E and A strings, but the D as well to a lesser extant. High E, B and G are all right though.

Strings are fairly fresh. I put a set of elixirs on a little over two weeks ago. When I did though, I needed to take of the TOM to get under the pick guard to fix a wiring issue. It's possible I put something back on incorrectly? That said however, I would have thought the issue would present itself sooner. I only just noticed it today, and I've been playing the guitar at least every other day since I did it.

it's just that .9mm isnt a heck of a lot of gap.

and lessening the gap might increase buzz.

if you want me to go wt a gut instinct here.
i would turn the truss rod 1/4 turn counter clockwise
and see if the extra gap allows you to lower the action at the bridge.
dont force the turn and let the guitar settle in tune after.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by jj1565
it's just that .9mm isnt a heck of a lot of gap.

and lessening the gap might increase buzz.

if you want me to go wt a gut instinct here.
i would turn the truss rod 1/4 turn counter clockwise
and see if the extra gap allows you to lower the action at the bridge.
dont force the turn and let the guitar settle in tune after.

Ok, I'll try that as soon as I get a chance. I'll post again if it doesn't help.

Thanks
ok, only do the one adjustment, let me know if it helps.

Jen
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Truss rod adjustment is unlikely to have any effect above the 12th fret, this problem is something else