I can't decide which Peavey Vypyr tube model to get, the 60w version or the 120w version. But definitely one of those two due to them being the tube versions and apparently the tube versions are the only Vypyrs worth getting...

So is there much of a difference in sound/tone between the two? I'll be using it for bedroom practice and for gigs too. Will 60w be loud enough for clubs? I could mic it up as well I suppose... I'm guessing 120w is WAY too much for bedroom practice?

Any feedback will be appreciated. Cheers guys
120 watts has greater headroom than the 60 watts.

However, in all honesty, for most small time gigs, 60 watts is more than sufficient.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I'd go with the 60. That should be plenty to play smaller gigs, and anything that would be too large to use it for will be able to mic your amp.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by darkwolf291
There's almost no difference in volume between the two.
The difference is headroom. The 120W has much more headroom than the 60W. It will take much longer to distort.

This might sound nooby as ****. But what's headroom? haha
120w would be fine for practice especially considering its a modeller..
Edit: headroom is explained like the very next sentence of the post you quoted... Basically you'll have to crank it more to get power amp distortion which you probably wouldnt want much of on a modeller..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by cambfmv
This might sound nooby as ****. But what's headroom? haha

Headroom is essentially how loud you can go before the amp's sound starts getting distorted at the power section.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Headroom is essentially how loud you can go before the amp's sound starts getting distorted at the power section.

This. It doesn't mean you won't get high gain from the 120, though, since that's mostly preamp distortion.

The 120 is 2 12 inch speakers, meaning you'll get slightly more sound distribution, more bass, and an overall 'larger' sound coming from it, than the 60, which is only 1 speaker.

There are other trade offs with the 60 vs. the 120, though, as the 60 will be quite a bit lighter and easier to transport and store.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by darkwolf291
There's almost no difference in volume between the two.
The difference is headroom. The 120W has much more headroom than the 60W. It will take much longer to distort.

Will that mean that there won't be as much distortion at low volumes? I'm kind of a distortion *****, like Parkway Drive sort of thing but brutal...
You'll be getting your distortion from the preamp or from the modeling sections for that style. Power amp distortion (which is the one related to headroom) is actually a bad thing for more modern rock.

Power tubes sound mushy and warm when distorting, whereas preamp tubes sound tight and cold.

In terms of metal, more headroom is preferable. For classic rock that's not always the case, but its pretty much a rule in metal with the exception of sludge/stoner.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 1, 2011,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydItRbb0b1E
power amp distortion

pre amp distortion = well insert metalcore band (parkway drive) you listen to here..

the vypyrs will model everything including the old school power amp distortion i'd think so you probably wouldnt want any a massive amount of power tube distortion at all with them on top of modelled distortion...
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jun 1, 2011,
God I love Free...

And yeah, sorry being all nooby as hell about all this guys, I just wanna by the right amp for me haha. You're all helping freakin' loads though so cheers guys!
I think I'm going to buy the 120w, mainly because it's £30 less than the 60w (No idea how but I'm not complainging about getting "more" for my money...) And because if it's a modelling (and tube...) amp the distortion should be fine. In theory. Thanks guys!
Quote by cambfmv
Will that mean that there won't be as much distortion at low volumes? I'm kind of a distortion *****, like Parkway Drive sort of thing but brutal...

No. It means you'll have less poweramp distortion. Which is a good thing for that style.
Poweramp gain is warm, muddy, spongey and squishy. The opposite of what you want for Metal. Metal amps usually use preamp gain. You WANT more headroom.
Quote by cambfmv
I can't decide which Peavey Vypyr tube model to get, the 60w version or the 120w version.

Neither. It's against the law here at UG to own a tube amp over 30 watts. Or a 4x12 cab. You're really in deep shit if you own an amp that's over 30 watts and a 4x12 cab (like I do).

In serious terms, I'd get the 120 for that shitload of headroom being that it's a modeler, but if money is an issue, just get the 60 watt. 2x the wattage only means +6db of volume increase.
Quote by cambfmv
God I love Free...

And yeah, sorry being all nooby as hell about all this guys, I just wanna by the right amp for me haha. You're all helping freakin' loads though so cheers guys!
I think I'm going to buy the 120w, mainly because it's £30 less than the 60w (No idea how but I'm not complainging about getting "more" for my money...) And because if it's a modelling (and tube...) amp the distortion should be fine. In theory. Thanks guys!

Assuming its new, check to see if its not some discount or special offer. you might want to see if its B-stock. If it is, ask EXACTLY why its B-stock, check for blemishes and problems. Test it thoroughly, also, you might want to do the pencil-test on the tubes.

IIRC 120watts would necessitate four 6L6s in the Vypyr... if one is a dud, replacing all the 6L6s will cost at least $120 - $180.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Neither. It's against the law here at UG to own a tube amp over 30 watts. Or a 4x12 cab. You're really in deep shit if you own an amp that's over 30 watts and a 4x12 cab (like I do).

In serious terms, I'd get the 120 for that shitload of headroom being that it's a modeler, but if money is an issue, just get the 60 watt. 2x the wattage only means +6db of volume increase.

+1 for the most part. x2 power and x2 speakers will get you +6dB. You'll get the sound you want at higher volumes without the power tubes distorting as much. win-win.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune