Hi!

I've been playing guitar for 3-4 years now, and I started trying Malmsteen stuff 1 month ago.

I can play the rhythm but I'm getting on slowly with the shredding.
I was wondering which guitar brands are better for shredding
Ibanez or Fender?

My budget isn't very high: 500-700€/pounds

Even so, just tell me which are the pros and cons of each
Some people can shred on fenders, I find it more difficult -- I'd go with a Ibanez.
Electric guitar thread.

And Ibanez, though Malmsteem uses a Stratocaster.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Ibanez are much better for shred. The necks are much thinner, and the upper fret access is a lot better. Just better guitars for faster playing really.
Quote by add666
Ibanez are much better for shred. The necks are much thinner, and the upper fret access is a lot better. Just better guitars for faster playing really.

My budget isn't very high, I'd say 500-700,

what is a good Ibanez recommendation (if possible with a whammy bar, but if it decreases the shredding quality never mind)
I got this one, and recommend it. ESP M-II it is a brilliant guitar, worth the money.
I wouldn't focus so much on brand but on the specs of the guitars. A guitar with a thin neck and low action is well suited for shredding because the thin neck reduces the movement of the fretting hand when moving across strings and the low action reduces tension and time it would take to fret a note. A set neck or carved bolt on neck also allows you to reach higher notes on the upper strings with ease too.
Last edited by Kortez3000 at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by Kortez3000
I wouldn't focus so much on brand but on the specs of the guitars. A guitar with a thin neck and low action is well suited for shredding because the thin neck reduces the movement of the fretting hand when moving across strings and the low action reduces tension and time it would take to fret a note. A set neck or carved bolt on neck also allows you to reach higher notes on the upper strings with ease too.

So, low action guitars
could I shdred Malmsteen in the same way with a Strat or an Ibanez? I'm doubting because he uses hundreds of Fenders and I don't really know what to do
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
So, low action guitars
could I shdred Malmsteen in the same way with a Strat or an Ibanez? I'm doubting because he uses hundreds of Fenders and I don't really know what to do

I don't play either brand which is why I pointed out the specs that the guitars may have instead. I suggest you play them personally and run a few scales down the neck and see which one suits you best.
Quote by Andrew2k
I got this one, and recommend it. ESP M-II it is a brilliant guitar, worth the money.

esps are great, but that's like double his budget. Even used, I doubt he's going to find one under his budget (i could be wrong, though, i don't keep too close an eye on the used market). But certainly new, it's not happening.

Quote by Kortez3000

+1

at that kind of budget, those new japanese-made charvel pro-mods might be worth a look, if you don't mind the non-recessed trem and non-sculpted bolt-on neck joint.

Ibanez MIJ RG prestige would be worth a look too, if you can find any under budget.

Quote by YYMMalmsteen
My budget isn't very high, I'd say 500-700,

what is a good Ibanez recommendation (if possible with a whammy bar, but if it decreases the shredding quality never mind)

a whammy doesn't really affect the shredability, just cheaper guitars have lower quality trems which wear out quickly, and once that happens you'll struggle to keep the guitar in tune. It's one of those things that if you're going to do it, you have to do it right.

rg1570 would be worth a look, from ibanez.

that's not a bad budget, you can certainly get good guitars for that if you know what you're doing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you are going to get an Ibanez, dont settle for a lower price one, they're not very good. If I were you save up a bit more and get a good ibanez that will last u a long time