I'm considering getting a Jackson DK2 Dinky and I've read that it comes with this Licensed Floyd Rose. I'm also looking at some LTDs that have a Floyd Rose Special.

How good is the JT580, and is it better or worse than the FRS? Also, what does "low profile" mean, is it very different from normal tremolos?
I have no sig
Last edited by Mr Winters at Jun 1, 2011,
it's not great. Or at least, depending on who you listen to, it's either "not great" or "not bad for a licensed". Personally, I haven't liked the ones I've tried (in shops). I thought they weren't very responsive, in the way that good double-locking trems are.

low profile just means that the fine tuners are more out of the way, the string clamps are in front of the fine tuners (so they don't stick up in the air where you can catch your sleeve on them), and the whole trem just sits down lower into the guitar's body.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
They're okay for a LFR though I'd rather have a Gotoh or a Schaller LFR.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
maybe.

from what i hear, it's a direct swap. however, you hear a lot of things on the internet which later turn out not ti be true- so check fir yourself first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Jackson Dinky with a JT580 LFR. The thing never goes out of tune.

And yes - it's a direct swap if you wanna swap it out for an OFR.
I've been reading some comments on youtube and there's people who say it's absolute rubbish and others say it's nice...is it one of those hit or miss things?

And would you say it's better or at least not worse than the Floyd Rose Special?
I have no sig
JT580s... They're decent but not great. Probably about the same level as the FRS, maybe a little lower.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The best word I can use to describe it is clunky. It's functional, it's just not particualarly smooth or, like Dave says, responsive. If you compare it with something like an Ibanez Lo Pro Edge there really isn't a comparison to make, they're world's apart.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ yeah clunky is exactly the word I'd have used, had I thought of it. my kramer licensed trem is similar.

I mean... ok, so it stays in tune. But I dunno about anyone else, but I'm not getting a floyd so the guitar stays in tune- I'm getting a floyd so I can do crazy floyd tricks and ALSO stay in tune. if the trem's so clunky you can't do the tricks (anyone with a jt580lp is welcome to post a clip of theirs getting some nice flutter/gargle), there's not much point, if you ask me. you have all the added headaches of having a floyd with almost none of the benefits (staying in tune being the only one I can think of, and if you're not using the trem you could get similar tuning stability with locking tuners)...

I mean, all the jt580 fanboys (the edge III fanboys do the same) act like anyone who doesn't like them is a hater and just jumping on the bandwagon... I dunno. Maybe some are like that. But I'd really like to know how many of the fans of those sub-par (IMO) trems have spent any time with a quality locking trem (gotoh, schaller, OFR, edge etc.), and more's the point spent time doing those crazy 80s tricks on them. Because to me, like Mark said, there's no comparison.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 2, 2011,
well i mean i'm guessing it's not amazing either. i mean (personally) i'd rather have a japanese-made jackson than a ltd. But i'd probably rather have the trem on the ltd (i say that having not tried the special, but supposedly it's an frt-1000 without the brass sustain block and steel saddles, and i have tried the frt).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Mr Winters
So I better get the LTD with the Floyd Rose Special then

Hold on there! Don't base your entire decision here on the fact that the JT580LP isn't the greatest trem system ever.

I've got one, and I can agree with what's been said. It's solid, and it stays in tune really well, but it's also fairly stiff.

Now, what that means is that the cool tricks like fluttering tend to be beyond it, it's just not responsive enough. But other than that, it works fine. You can still do all the dives and pull ups, just don't expect the fluttery stuff.

The biggest pitfall of LFRs is not staying in tune. That's the reason to avoid a guitar with one of the offending models. But the JT580LP doesn't have that problem.

In general the DK2s are great guitars. I'd take one over a LTD any day, but take that with a pinch of salt because I am a confessed Jackson fanatic.