H'okay... kicking off the 2nd drummer of the month (it's month right?)

Featured this Month: Bobby Jarzombek of Spastic Ink, Riot, Halford, to name a few

At 47 years old, Bobby is certainly not a newcomer to the whole drumming thing-- really, he's more or less worshiped amongst prog/technical metal circles, known primarily because of his involvement with some of the more noticeable musicians (Spastic Ink primarily) in the scene. There are many things that can be lauded about his playing, such as his mind-boggling technicality, excellent linear technique, mastery of open-handed playing and his super-solid pocket in metal contexts. His double bass work is also extremely tasty.

He's not a very improvisational drummer, in the sense that he works out every note he plays to sheet music with little deviation from what is written, but he reproduces (and writes) dynamic, creative parts with consummate skill. Of particular note would be his unwavering sense of time and tempo control. He also has a very good grasp of rudiments, which is an (unfortunately) oft-overlooked aspect in metal drumming.

Also, he puts two crashes behind him. That's pretty cool!

Performance from his DVD-- features a very accurate tempo map.

A drum solo

Bobby recording Aquanet

My favorite recorded tune by him

Bobby uses and endorses:
DW drums
Paiste cymbals
Vic Firth sticks
Evans drumheads

All his hardware is DW, also. Pedals are DW5000s.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jun 1, 2011,
Jamie is indeed amazing, and the other day I was actually considering that He'd probably be a strong candidate for one in the future, or a non-metal drummer possibly... but I'd say Bobby is more of an overall favorite for me, as opposed to a "metal" favorite if that makes sense. His use of open-handed playing is particularly inspiring for me as that's something I'm trying to develop myself.
I've never heard of him before, but just wow, haha.

Watching him play open handed like that is really cool, I've never really seen a player do it with that amount of technicality and fluidity. It's something I've wanted to do myself to try and get my left hand a little more sharp.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
Glad you guys are feeling it

Quote by Skinny91
I've never heard of him before, but just wow, haha.

Watching him play open handed like that is really cool, I've never really seen a player do it with that amount of technicality and fluidity. It's something I've wanted to do myself to try and get my left hand a little more sharp.
Yeah, and he actually is predominantly right handed too. Gene Hoglan would be another open-handed metal drummer that's a completely monster, and he has rides on either side of his kit so he'll switch from patterns leading with either the left or right all the time... it's kind of scary really
Really? Daym, that makes him even more awesome. I've heard of Hoglan but I've never checked him out, but I think I shall
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp