I've always been into music. I would listen to music of bands and fit in my own lyrics
This made me want to learn an instrument to accompany music to the lyrics but as everyone knows, without music... Original lyrics are harder to write. Anyway long story short. I'm 18 and have had no experience in music before other than the lyric side of things... Is it too late for me to become a decent enough musician to be part of a band.
I didn't pick up a guitar till I was about 26... Hasn't slowed me down. Still playing at 65.

Go for it... The only limiting factor is your native talent and your drive to improve.
Never.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
nope, it's never too late. as long as you work hard at it, it's always possible to learn. also, getting into a band doesn't take much skill, you just need some guys that are at similar skill level as you are. remember that playing with other people is one of the best ways to grow as a musician, so even if you play for a year you can hook up with some friends who have only been playing for a year and start a band.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
[...]getting into a band doesn't take much skill, you just need some guys that are at similar skill level as you are.

Very true. Music history is filled with musicians who had only been playing 1-3 years when their band made it big. Writing well is probably the most important skill to have in a band setting.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
If you have good talent and an urge to learn playing the guitar, then you can make 2 years of playing sound like 10 years.
Also don't go to one of those schools where they only learn to sight read.
Find a good private teacher, most good private teachers don't charge much somehow.
Also teaching yourself is also avaiable but will slow you down on your path.
Quote by DamagedLegion
I've always been into music. I would listen to music of bands and fit in my own lyrics
This made me want to learn an instrument to accompany music to the lyrics but as everyone knows, without music... Original lyrics are harder to write. Anyway long story short. I'm 18 and have had no experience in music before other than the lyric side of things... Is it too late for me to become a decent enough musician to be part of a band.

i started when i was 17. now, almost 21, i can write symphonies in the classical form, put together a decent jazz or rock song, and most everything in between. give it a few years, you might be impressed with your progress.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.