I'm looking for a bass amp (preferably a combo) that will be used for band practice and small shows (bars, clubs, etc). No home use, just the previously mentioned stuff. We'll be playing some hard rock/grunge material, something along the lines of a harder version of Alice in Chains.

I'm mostly a guitar guy and I don't know a whole lot about bass amps, so... Suggest me something! I want to try and keep it under $300, but if I absolutely need to I can go to $400.

Thanks guys!
I like the Fender Rumble 75 I got a while back - you can't really ever go wrong with Fender. Its a solid amp and can definitely push out the sound you need for small venues. It goes for about $200-$300. I'm not a big amp guy but I know that it sounds pretty good for the price.

I also tried out a Line 6 that produced a nice tone though it was about $500
[Insert something clever here]
Alrighty, thanks guys! I just need it for the time being, and I'll eventually invest into a nice setup.
wat

Fender rumble isn't something I had in mind when he asked for an amp he can use for small shows. 75W isn't much at all for bass, and with a drummer and a guitarist, you might as well play unplugged.

If you're gonna use it for hard rock, i'm going to assume the guitar will be loud and the drummer is going to beat the crap out of his drums, you're gonna want MINIMUM 200W-300W. Sucks, but that's the reality of it. 75W for bass just isn't loud, much less when jamming with other peeps.

For $300-$400 you can go used and find Peavey TNT combos that would certainly do the job. If you wanted to start using a amp/cab individually, you can't find tons of other great stuff too for that price.
pinga
^Agreed.

As a rule of thumb, your bassist's amp (i.e your amp) should have at least 100 watts or four times the wattage of your guitarist's amp, which ever is more. There are other factors that'll let you get away with less, such are how loud your guitarist likes to play or how many speaker cabs you're plugged into.

For loud, cheap power, I'd look at Acoustic amps; not the best by any measurement, but the most volume for the price. The Acoustic B200 200W 1X15 will cost some $350. A comparable Fender Rumble 150W 1x15 is the same price.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The Gallien Kreuger MB200 head and a used 2x10, 200 watts, 2 pounds, plus the weight of the cab. You'd have a great giggable setup on the small size.
Quote by kangaxxter
^Agreed.

As a rule of thumb, your bassist's amp (i.e your amp) should have at least 100 watts or four times the wattage of your guitarist's amp, which ever is more. There are other factors that'll let you get away with less, such are how loud your guitarist likes to play or how many speaker cabs you're plugged into.

For loud, cheap power, I'd look at Acoustic amps; not the best by any measurement, but the most volume for the price. The Acoustic B200 200W 1X15 will cost some $350. A comparable Fender Rumble 150W 1x15 is the same price.

This, I forgot about Acoustic amps. Good cheap and reliable amps.
pinga
So an acoustic amp looks like the way to go then? Alright, I'll look around guys. Thank you!

EDIT: Something like this?
Last edited by SMB13 at Jun 1, 2011,