Anyone played or got this amp ? Thinking of getting it, clean sounds for Smiths styled tunes, drive channel for Brit Rock (The Who/Oasis) style stuff, big muff through the clean for smashing pumpkins kinda vibe.

Anyone know if it's any good ?

Cheers guys and possible girls.
I have a Hot Rod Deluxe, but not the newest version. I've heard they've improved the overdrive section in that version, but in mine it leaves quite a lot to be desired. The amp is very loud! It takes pedals decently but its almost too loud to take a Big Muff on the clean channel at bedroom level. The cleans are about as clean as a tube amp gets and the amp has nearly infinite amounts of top-end, so no need to worry about doing Jangly alt-pop songs.

Just make sure you know that you are getting a very loud tube amp if you get it. Otherwise I recommend it.
I have the newest version of it.
Cleans are immaculate!
The dirt channels are not so good for anything heavier than blues or classic rock.
I've got a pedal for my Dirt, or second channel, so it doesn't effect me.
I totally agree with poopiedeloopie,
IT IS LOUD!
I've got it on around 1 and my parents yell at me.
It is a great amp though.
I've a friend with one in my band and let me tell you... it is an incredibly versatile amp! He takes it from lush cleans, to "in your face overdrive". But tone "mumbo-jumbo" aside, try it and take it from there. I recommend it hands down for the price, but it's your ear, and your amp. So you make your choice!

:-)
Quote by Slash_fanboy
I have the newest version of it.
Cleans are immaculate!
The dirt channels are not so good for anything heavier than blues or classic rock.
I've got a pedal for my Dirt, or second channel, so it doesn't effect me.
I totally agree with poopiedeloopie,
IT IS LOUD!
I've got it on around 1 and my parents yell at me.
It is a great amp though.

The problem with this amp is that you don't really get a full sound until its almost too loud, and if you put a pedal on it that boosts the volume significantly (especially ones that don't have volume controls) it gets way too loud.

Honestly...if you are a pedal guy (like me) and are just playing alone in your house, this might not be the amp for you. Its not even a thing of pissing off your family and neighbors, this thing can easily hurt your ears at about 2.5 (out of 12) if you aren't wearing earplugs. If I wasn't in a band, I would considering selling this thing because of how incredibly loud it is.

But because I'm in a band, I love this thing. Even when I'm playing with my band, I don't turn it up much past 2, never past 4 (out of 12) and its loud as hell (with earplugs, mind you!). We have a fairly loud drummer, a bassist and a 2nd guitarist with a Marshall fullstack (4x12) and my guitar can easily overcome everything else. The fact that this amp can be the lead guitar over all of those, shows how amazingly loud this thing is.

Great amp, but be warned about the volume.
Last edited by poopiedeloopie at Jun 1, 2011,
have a good amp tech go through it, he can EQ it better, and smoothen out the volume control (though I have to II not the III). With a speaker change. and this reEQing, I almost prefer it to my Twin Reverb (it's also quite less strenuous on my back though). I'm not sure about the speaker on the new ones, I just ordered the HRD cab, probably going to change out the celestion for a Jensen Neo, like my HRD has, convert the cab to an open back, and I'll have some tight bass response! Anyway....

They are great all around amps. I prefer American voiced amps, but given the right pedals, you can get brit pop. I recommend a Lovepedal Englishman. Makes a sweet combo!

EDIT: I play with mine at two when I want cleans (pedals for overdrive), and at 10 for amp OD. Not really louder than two, it just breaks up on mine.

Also:

The OD channel on the II sounds usable when the master is cranked, and the drive is really, really, really, low.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Last edited by kracdown at Jun 2, 2011,
I feel like my hot rod deluxe isn't that loud. I mean it is loud enough to get over a drummer, but it is nowhere near as loud as i thought it would be. and it breaks up around 3, which is just at the point where it is getting loud enough. i wish it had a little more headroom. maybe it's just my amp haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
mine breaks up at 6
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

Quote by InanezGuitars44
I feel like my hot rod deluxe isn't that loud. I mean it is loud enough to get over a drummer, but it is nowhere near as loud as i thought it would be. and it breaks up around 3, which is just at the point where it is getting loud enough. i wish it had a little more headroom. maybe it's just my amp haha

Have you changed the tubes? try putting some lower gain preamp tubes
really? at 6??? i cant even get a clean tone with my guitar's volume on 10 when the amp is on 4. I usually keep the amp around 3 or 4 and then roll down my guitar's volume a little to compensate.

Also, I have a 12AT7 lying sround. I'll try putting that in and see what happens. I also need to try lifting the amp off the ground. Maybe I'll sit it on top of a pa speaker or something haha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I used to have a 60W DeVille 212 that was amazing, a model very similar to the Deluxe. Excellent for cleans and bluesy crunch. So for your type of music it would probably work well. Now why anybody would want to play the Smiths is a totally different issue.