I'm wondering what ultimate guitar .com thinks is the best for:

Alternative/rock/classic/indie/punk.

(I.e)bands:

-RHCP - The White Stripes - The Black Keys - Mgmt - The Killers - The Kills -
The Gorillaz - Nirvana - *Coldplay* - CAKE - Arcade Fire - Radiohead -
Eulogies - AC/DC - Pink Floyd - Modest Mouse - GreenDay -
NsN - Grateful Dead - Interpol - OkGo - The Beatles.

guitars:

-fender stratocaster
-fender telecaster
-gibson les paul
-gibson SG
-fender (jaguar/jazz)
-ibanez?
-epiphone?

•thanks.
Budget?
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
All the cool kids play hollowbodies... anyway I'll just say what everybody else is going to say, alternative rock is a very wide genre with some emphasis on being "different" so really there isn't a best, you should just pick one that you like the sound and feel of. Also tele's are pretty versatile as well as LP's so, ya.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
If you have a low budget $400-500 go with an Epiphone SG, Les Paul, or Dot (ES-335). That's what I would play anyways.
From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
id go with a fender, but then again i dont like humbuckers, so what can i know?
Howzabout an "alternative" guitar?
Perhaps something not a lot of others play..mebbe a 60's cast-off Japan plywood copy? Or an old acoustic F hole arch top with a pickup added.
Something "funky...yanno!

Make it yer own sound and look!
I have a rather low budget 450>

And I understand about the wide variety. My given bands was a variety. But I'm looking for something on the cleaner side(fender?!) but has a nice feel to it with resonance and sustain (Gibson?!) but not jazz/country archtop ish. killers/RHCP sound to shorten the list.
And I'm not an indie kid looking to be different. It can be cliche, bring it on. I'm lookingfor a guitar that plays well, not a guitar that stands out.
Epiphone ES-335 Dot. It sounds beautiful and sweet clean yet it can handle distorted alternative rock well. It is a semi-hollow (not a completely hollow archtop), but its gorgeous and well worth the money in my opinion. It should only run you about $400. And it has plenty of resonance and sustain.
Quote by JAHellraiser
There's an Epiphone Gibson Les Paul studio for sale nearby, used, for 200$ do you think this would fit my needs?
Quote by Allway5
There's an Epiphone Gibson Les Paul studio for sale nearby, used, for 200$ do you think this would fit my needs?

You would get the sustain and resonance you want and it would sound f*cking mighty with distortion, but outright you won't get the best cleans out of it. I own the Epiphone Les Paul Standard and while the cleans aren't bad you're not going to get bright beautiful RCHP cleans. And feeding the bridge with a ton of treble while clean might just get harsh. But for $200 that's a good find.
Quote by JAHellraiser
Quote by Darth_jacob22
You would get the sustain and resonance you want and it would sound f*cking mighty with distortion, but outright you won't get the best cleans out of it. I own the Epiphone Les Paul Standard and while the cleans aren't bad you're not going to get bright beautiful RCHP cleans. And feeding the bridge with a ton of treble while clean might just get harsh. But for $200 that's a good find.

I do see your point. If I want RHCP clean I should just get the strat and be done. But while I like the peppers, I'm more into alternative heavier music and I think the les Paul will be better. Now if I could get a LP annnd a strat...
I agree with with the Epiphone Dot suggestion. It would be great for what you are wanting. Second choice would be a nice strat
What style of music are "prs" guitars suited for? I haven't heard a lot about them but I just found one used and now I'm curious. It's a gorgeous guitar.. But it looks like an ibanez shred machine. Is that true?
Fender telecaster!!!!Greatest guitar for any genre I have 1 and play music by pretty much all the bands u listed especially Green Day it's the best. If you want to go cheap get a squier standard strat also good but a little weak sounding without distortion. The fender one sounds almost exactly like the Tele if u get the SSS model. If u want a heavier sound just get a pedal or crank the distortion on ur amp the Tele and strat still sound good and the single coils give a nice clean without distortion on the bridge setting
Last edited by musicman14579 at Jun 1, 2011,
And prses are like classic rock sometimes Latin I know Carlos santana uses one frequently but some use them for alternative idk I'm not a big fan of them fender all the way!
PRS Guitars are boutique, all around instruments used mainly for rock. One could suit you, they are built with the intention of combining both a Gibson and a Fender, but the lower end instruments, while nice, don't have the nice features like coil taps to really give the sound your looking for. A Tele wouldn't be best for distortion.

I would suggest looking at the Les Paul, the Epiphone Dot, and maybe a Squier SSH strat more. That strat would give you cleans and good crunchy distortion (but it wouldn't be nearly as heavy as the Les Paul). The Epiphone Dot meanwhile has amazing cleans and a fat and crunchy distortion (thought once again not as heavy sounding as the LP).
Quote by JAHellraiser
Allway5 sez:

"And I'm not an indie kid looking to be different. It can be cliche, bring it on. I'm lookingfor a guitar that plays well, not a guitar that stands out."

Amen, Brother!
At least ya know what ya don;t want Cliche` can be good. "Plays well" is the key item!
So right now my top picks are:

1. Gibson/Epiphone LP
2. Gibson/Epiphone Dot/es335
3. Fender Strat
4. Fender Telecaster
5. Fender jag/jazz
6. PRS
7. Ibanez?
Quote by musicman14579
And prses are like classic rock sometimes Latin I know Carlos santana uses one frequently but some use them for alternative idk I'm not a big fan of them fender all the way!

wow you realy don't know much about them now do you.

PRS make great guitars, better than any other company that mass produces guitars.and it would suit just about any style you can throw at it. But like was said they mold the best of fender with Gibson to make an amazingly playable/sounding guitar. But the Epi isn't a bad deal for the price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Allway5
So right now my top picks are:

1. Gibson/Epiphone LP
2. Gibson/Epiphone Dot/es335
3. Fender Strat
4. Fender Telecaster
5. Fender jag/jazz
6. PRS
7. Ibanez?

You're top 3 is in good shape. Look at those more, watch some YouTube vids and do your research. I would drop Ibanez though, aside from there Archtops (Lots of $$$ though), you won't get what your looking for out of them. RG's, JS's, JEM's, pretty much their entire line is made for straight heavy rock or metal. And their more afortable instruments are so-so in quality, at least from my experience.
Quote by JAHellraiser
I did research, updated top three:

1. Epiphone Dot
(original fender starcaster) = even better.
2. Epiphone LP
2. Fender Strat
Maybe you could get the used epiphone and buy a squier strat? They aren't as good as a fender but the bullet strats are supposed to be pretty good. Not as many problems in those as in other cheap guitars.

$200 Epi + $100 Bullet Strat = Everything you asked for.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
wow PRS being classic rock and latin? dont BTBAM play PRS now? haha. they are a great brand, just not quite as well suited for what you want. if you are in the US maybe look into Agile for a LP? you could get one that is pretty much the Epiphone Custom for like $470 including shipping. ive been wanting an AL 3100 since i got to play one. thats if you want a les paul. i would still say Dot/335 type guitar. I know the guy from The Killers plays a 335 and it would work for most of the other music too
Quote by JKHC
Maybe you could get the used epiphone and buy a squier strat? They aren't as good as a fender but the bullet strats are supposed to be pretty good. Not as many problems in those as in other cheap guitars.

$200 Epi + $100 Bullet Strat = Everything you asked for.

...it's beautiful...

Dot/LP + strat..
World = complete.
Quote by Allway5
...it's beautiful...

Dot/LP + strat..
World = complete.

Just avoid the affinity series. They don't have much more to offer than the bullets and are definitely not worth the extra $100.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by shecter guy
wow PRS being classic rock and latin? dont BTBAM play PRS now? haha. they are a great brand, just not quite as well suited for what you want. if you are in the US maybe look into Agile for a LP? you could get one that is pretty much the Epiphone Custom for like $470 including shipping. ive been wanting an AL 3100 since i got to play one. thats if you want a les paul. i would still say Dot/335 type guitar. I know the guy from The Killers plays a 335 and it would work for most of the other music too

I think the killers's guitar is actually a 70's starcaster, from fender, which is my dream guitar<3 but I can't shell out 2000$ for one. So I think I'm going to go with an epi dot and a strat/project.
Gibson SG Faded.. find a nice used one in your area and you can get a seriously amazing guitar for a great price.

That's what I did and I'm happy as hell. The tone that you can get from those SGs is pretty versatile. The neck isn't as nice as my Ibanez RG370, but the SG sounds one hell of a lot better
Searching for the perfect gear is endless. Buying a better amp you may notice how shitty your guitar is and vice versa. I've spent thousands of dollars in pursuit of the perfect sound, which I'll never completely capture. -B. Corgan
it probably too expensive (and you wont find used) but what about the pawn shop mustang special

2 humbucker with split coils

or a jaguar CP HH used
epiphone dot (studio) ?

it seems like the lower end model, it only has 1volume knob and 1tone knob..

but for $150...

do you think it's a good deal?
the dot standard is a much better guitar than the studio in my opinion
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
The Dot is a great instrument. I own it and play very similar music to you, and it works perfect.