Hey, just made a thread, got flamed for not searching. It is now deleted. One thing I have been struggling to find out, is how many watts is suitable for gigging? Small gigs. Maybe up to 200 people max.

EDIT: I looked on the FAQ but couldn't find any info on this.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Hey, just made a thread, got flamed for not searching. It is now deleted. One thing I have been struggling to find out, is how many watts is suitable for gigging? Small gigs. Maybe up to 200 people max.

EDIT: I looked on the FAQ but couldn't find any info on this.

200 watts minimum (if you're looking at solid state), you'll probably want 300.
Yeah, I've tried 225 with two guitariste, a drummer and a singer and I wasn't happy. I've used 500 with two very loud guitarists and a thrash drummer and i was perectly fine.

I say this, but the next time I gig, I'll probably have 1100
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Holy crap. I told my friend he'll never need a 200 watt bass amp! That was using the knowledge I have about guitar amps. Cuz a 200 watt guitar amp will melt your face just touching the volume knob. Ha, thanks guys.
It depends on a few things: the size of the venue; the type of music; how many guitars and what kind of amps do they use. etc. I use a 1000-watt head and whatever cabinet or cabinets work best.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
my bass amp pushes about 120 through a 410 cabinet. I had to put it on about 7 to keep up with punk drummers and a single guitarist pushing 60 watts through a 210 on 7.

so bassically guitar amp was 210 60 watts.
the bass amp was running 410 120 watts.

this was in a large mostly empty room with the guitarists giving the bassist plenty of sonic room.
no sir away a papaya war is on
shitty venue acoustics = 10000000 watts. good venue acoustics and a good sound check = 400 watts
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Holy crap. I told my friend he'll never need a 200 watt bass amp! That was using the knowledge I have about guitar amps. Cuz a 200 watt guitar amp will melt your face just touching the volume knob. Ha, thanks guys.

Lower frequencies have a lower pitch. More watts = more volume = happy bass.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus

This is not always the case. It also depends on the speakers themselves, not just the wattage.
pinga
Quote by vampirelazarus

Not as much a volume increase as you might think- to double volume, you need 10x the wattage, or something like that. More power with appropriate speakers will increase perceived loudness however.
300 Watts, perfect for most gigs.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Then there's the whole Direct out thing, and wattage don't matter, or Mic'ing.