Hey, any of you guys do home brewing? I started a 5 gallon batch of apple wine last night and I used Lalvin EC-1118 yeast (which is a very good overall yeast, that gets up to 18% A.B.V.), and lord is it making all sorts of noise. The airlock is burping like every second xD.

But anyway, if you have any experience with home brew - share your experiences here and feel free to post tips!
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
I've brewed with my friend about 5 or 6 different times. We've made several different types of beer, including a pale ale, porter, chocolate stout, Irish red ale, amber ale, and Belgian blonde ale.

I'm growing hops right now. Hopefully we'll be able to use them to brew sometime in September.
Interesting topic!
I've always thought about homebrew, what are the laws around the UK exactly?
The process expensive?
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
My hops.

Those are Cascade. I was trying to grow Nugget as well, but they didn't grow for some reason.
I thought this was about amateur game dev style of home brew.

Me and my dad used to make ginger beer years ago; we knew the guy at the brew-mart, so we got the gear alot cheaper than buying the bottled product. Was pretty good. We since moved, and haven't gotten back into doing it.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
My mom and step dad do a lot of wine and have some hops growing now.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I thought u was talking about homemade video games..............

..……….........…
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I helped a friend doing a batch a year or so ago, but all the equipment was at his house, so I can't really remember a lot of what went on. I know it was stout though, turned out pretty good.
My friend's dad homebrews a ton of beer. I'd like to try my hand at it in the future.
Quote by teachmeviolence
Headbang until your head becomes detached from the rest of your body, then throw it into the crowd while you play a killer guitar solo. Trust me, it would be totally br00tal.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
I've made lots of beer at home. I once made peach beer, where I cut up around 10 pounds of peaches and put it in the wort during fermentation. Pain in the ass to strain it out but it was pretty tasty.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I can tell you how to make wine thats 15% and it takes 9 days to make.

Thats easy. But anyway, I usually give mine about 12 days til 18%, then Ill rack to the second fermenter
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
the elderflowers are out soon. looking forward to making lots of sparkling wine.
its the best summer drink.
now extra flamey
Quote by Zoot Allures
I can tell you how to make wine thats 15% and it takes 9 days to make.

Oh please do tell, I have to try this.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Really interested and I'd love to try to make homebrew. A friend of mine let me try some of one of his batches and it tasted brilliant, better than most of the shop bought ales.
Check out my fitness blog here
Me and some of my friends have our first batch fermenting right now. It's probably gonna taste like ass but whatever, gotta start somewhere
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Any good sites to start out with? I kinda want to do what Daytripper is doing w/ the hops, but I'm also a big wine fan. I think it would be cool to have hops out on my back porch in the summer time.

Does homebrewing save you $ or actually cost more money than getting alcohol at the store?

For starters I'd like to try this

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/homemade-wine/Detail.aspx

But, it seems like it'd get people sick. It seems like something they'd do in prison. It can't be that easy can it????
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by ApeWeevil
Oh please do tell, I have to try this.

Here's the procedure.
1) Get some fruit juice (I usually use grape but anything works). I usually do this with about 2-3 liters although this is not an exact science.
2) Put the juice in a bottle or bottles so that there is room at the top for it to bubble up.
3) Add a spoonful of yeast (bakers yeast will work) and a spoonful or two of sugar (to bring up the alcohol content).
4) Screw the caps on most but not all of the way and put the bottles in a dark place for a few days.
5) After a day or should it should be bubbling and smelling kind of weird.
6) When it stops bubbling (after a few days) transfer the juice to new bottles without transferring the sediment that will have formed at the bottom. You'll lose some wine at the bottom but this can't be helped.
5) Let this sit for a a few more days (total of at least a week) and the alcohol should be between 12-16% (just an approximation).
6) It'll be kind of sour/bitter but it's still pretty drinkable, especially if it's cold.
Oh and also make sure to sanitize everything along the way.
Or if you're lazy you can just throw some yeast in the juice bottle and leave it like that for a while but if you do it the long way it will turn out better and there won't be so much sediment at the bottom....
Quote by Zoot Allures
Here's the procedure.
1) Get some fruit juice (I usually use grape but anything works). I usually do this with about 2-3 liters although this is not an exact science.
2) Put the juice in a bottle or bottles so that there is room at the top for it to bubble up.
3) Add a spoonful of yeast (bakers yeast will work) and a spoonful or two of sugar (to bring up the alcohol content).
4) Screw the caps on most but not all of the way and put the bottles in a dark place for a few days.
6) When it stops bubbling (after a few days) transfer the juice to new bottles without transferring the sediment that will have formed at the bottom. You'll lose some wine at the bottom but this can't be helped.
5) Let this sit for a a few more days (total of at least a week) and the alcohol should be between 12-16% (just an approximation).
6) It'll be kind of sour/bitter but it's still pretty drinkable, especially if it's cold.
Or if you're lazy you can just throw some yeast in the juice bottle and leave it like that for a while but if you do it the long way it will turn out better and there won't be so much sediment at the bottom....

Shit must taste nasty!
Check out my fitness blog here
Quote by Zoot Allures
I've tasted worse wine that's actually been sold in shops before. It's really not that bad.

I tried a similar method not too long ago, and I must agree that it's actually passable

There's also a wonderful satisfaction from getting royally meshed on alcohol you made by yourself
Quote by element4433
What if the way their wieners were positioned they could only pee into each other's mouths?

And one had his finger joined to the other's butthole?

PLAY
UG
MINECRAFT

Or don't. Yeah don't.
Last time I made a batch I found that you don't need to use the barrel lid. Just take some plastic wrap and put a couple of layers over the top, then use the o-ring from the lid to hold it in place. Not sure if that's much of a tip, but it's a bit easier. Also good to know in case your airlock breaks (how I learned about it).
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Holy Crap.

I love you more than life itself.
we used to homebrew wine when we were teenagers to help keep us in booze. then when i got a house i made about 40 batches of beer. also made a few wines... if you are in an area that has Dandelions you might want to make dandelion wine, it really kicks your ass and tastes good too!
Quote by Zoot Allures
O.o i was told that it's basically impossible to make wine over 15% or so with normal yeast.

That's definitely false. Lalvin EC-1118 is a very very common yeast. You can get turbo yeast that gets up to 23% ABV. Crazy shit lol.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Zoot Allures
Here's the procedure.

Yeah that's a really bad instructional.. no offense. You shouldnt use bakers yeast, and you should use a proper airlock and fermenting container. Brewing is really easy, and as long as you reasonably sanitize you shouldnt have too much trouble.

In addition to my apple champagne, I have some fruit punch wine brewing

Now, this is my recipe for apple wine:

* 3 gallons apple juice
* about 1lb of sugar, maybe more
* yeast nutrient (optional)

Now, you put the sugar in your fermenter (I use a 6.5 gallon bucket), dissolve it in two gallons hot water. Then add the 3 gallons of apple juice and stir some more. Then I take some of this mixture in a sealable jar, and mix in a packet of brewers yeast. Stir and let this mixture sit out for about 15 minutes to rehydrate the yeast. Then you transfer the yeast mix back into the original container, stir, and then seal the bucket and put your air lock on. Then you let it sit for 1-2 weeks, or until the bubbling slows to about a bubble or two every 5-10 minutes. You can also tell that it's done (if you have a clear container), the lees will have settled to the bottom.

Then you rack it to the second fermenter and let it age for as long as you want, I would suggest using a glass or plastic carboy as the second fermenter, as the buckets don't hold air as well and they can cause oxidation of the wine if left in too long.

Then you basically bottle it, or whatever you want to do, or even drink it straight out of the carboy like a redneck boss

Quote by zenbone
we used to homebrew wine when we were teenagers to help keep us in booze. then when i got a house i made about 40 batches of beer. also made a few wines... if you are in an area that has Dandelions you might want to make dandelion wine, it really kicks your ass and tastes good too!

Lol a guy I know makes dandelion wine, and lets it age for 15 years before he drinks it. I haven't gotten to sample it myself, but everyone that has is pretty unanimous that it is the best thing they have ever tasted.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Jun 5, 2011,