Hey everyone, as of this month, I've been playing for a year, and was wondering: how far should I have progressed in those 12 months? Where were you guys at 1 year?
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
really good question... Well, i really think that the fact that you haven't given up the guitar after a year of practicing, it means that you have advanced something. Its up to you whether you're satisfied or not. In my case, after a year of havin an electric guitar i was able to play shine on you crazy diamond (with tabs of course, & it took me forever!), but that isnt such a hard song anyway, it just sounds fukin great! Im talkin about 7 years ago by the way (god im old!)
You should be able to play TtFaF, backwards, sped up 1.5x as fast at least. And for the beginning you should be able to play the keyboard part on guitar while doing a headstand performing felatio on your dog.

You should be somewhere in that ballpark
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Heh, thanks everyone!
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by Bluesblitz
Hey everyone, as of this month, I've been playing for a year, and was wondering: how far should I have progressed in those 12 months? Where were you guys at 1 year?

Aside from the immature idiots that posted before I have in this thread, it really is irrelevant, and the reason for this, is because each persons exposure, work and study habits are different. What matters is what have you learned, what are your goals, what can you improve upon, things of that nature. As long as you're enjoying the ride, that's what matters.

There are no points for how progressive you've been compared to another.

Best,

Sean
Quote by brandon2784
Like no one else is sick of the sort of thread... "hey guys! ive been playing for 7 months 2 weeks and 4 days and i can play (insert slightly difficult song here) just wondering how long it took you guys to play it!"

I understand your disdain at people who act that way.

He didn't do that though...read it again, he just said how long he's played and seemed like he was asking for consensus of where others were, so that he could determine if he is progressing sufficiently. He didn't list a single thing that he's accomplished, did he?

You misfired dude. If he said, "Hey I can do teh sw33ps faster than Swissgar", then I'd be with you, that's pointless posturing. I didn't get that from his post in any way that he was boasting and bragging...that's not to say that others don't do that, but this guy didn't appear to do any of that...check it yourself. If I missed anything, I stand corrected.

Best,

Sean
After one year I had a grasp on open chords and barre chords and was able to play chord sheets well. I could play a number of songs fluently, the rhythm parts. I hadn't even started on learning scales or attempting solos as I felt if I couldn't execute the rhythm parts there was no point.

That's where I was. But you could be different. There's no rush, but I'll always have the opinion of "can't play chords, can't play songs, can't play guitar".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Can't really answer where you should be in terms of stages. So I'll just give my personal progress, I actually got told a lot I picked it up real quick (to be honest I don't take credit, I had just put in a lot of hours)I had learnt over a hundred songs, my technique had strong points (huge lows too ), I hadn't looked into theory or I was just about to but any earlier and I think I would have lost interest or it would have went over my head. I usually don't like naming artists and songs because it might loose others' interest but here are some songs I remember being able to play after a year.

Little Wing, Fire, Purple Haze, Voodoo Child, Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Snow (Hey Oh), Readymade, Scar Tissue, Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Black Dog, Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Hope that's atleast a little insightful and not just wasted space. Best of luck
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by Bluesblitz

At one year, I had my basic major/minor barre chords and open chords down. I was experimenting with movable open shapes and writing music with them. My ear was shitty, tabs were my best friend, and I could play Beast and the Harlot by Avenged Sevenfold and had begun learning Sea of Lies by Symphony X.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but you should be right where you are when you hit the one year mark. Some teachers like to put markers up for students, but everyone is individual. Jimmy might be a virtuoso and can tap like a mofo after a year, but Jane can't. She's still struggling with barre chords.

Just keep playing and you'll get wherever your heart desires.
Quote by Sean0913
I understand your disdain at people who act that way.

He didn't do that though...read it again, he just said how long he's played and seemed like he was asking for consensus of where others were, so that he could determine if he is progressing sufficiently. He didn't list a single thing that he's accomplished, did he?

You misfired dude. If he said, "Hey I can do teh sw33ps faster than Swissgar", then I'd be with you, that's pointless posturing. I didn't get that from his post in any way that he was boasting and bragging...that's not to say that others don't do that, but this guy didn't appear to do any of that...check it yourself. If I missed anything, I stand corrected.

Best,

Sean

You're right, I apologize to both you and TS. It's just that I have been seeing an increasing number of "those types" of threads, and I immediately went on the offense. I admit my mistake.

Now to contribute to the tread this was about where I stood at around 1 year.

I had poor timing, atrocious bends, couldn't do anything other then play fast and obnoxiously, no theoretical knowledge, couldn't play any full songs, sub-par rhythm playing skills, and a mindset where I thought speed>anything. I think I might even have a video from around that time period I'll see if I can dig it up.
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Open Chords, Barre Chords, Scales, and some songs to play.
Also some basic guitar techniques like hammer-ons/pull-offs etc.

I was at the stage that I was at........ I think it was in my basement, playing punk. Now its theory, theory, theory, metal.

Good exchange I think.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by brandon2784
You're right, I apologize to both you and TS. It's just that I have been seeing an increasing number of "those types" of threads, and I immediately went on the offense. I admit my mistake.

Now to contribute to the tread this was about where I stood at around 1 year.

I had poor timing, atrocious bends, couldn't do anything other then play fast and obnoxiously, no theoretical knowledge, couldn't play any full songs, sub-par rhythm playing skills, and a mindset where I thought speed>anything. I think I might even have a video from around that time period I'll see if I can dig it up.

Daw, thanks man, it's all good though, thanks for the input!
Vox Night Train 15W

-Howlin' Wolf
After a year of self teaching, I could play most open chords (except F, damn you 1st fret barre!) and change between them pretty well, I knew a few riffs like Sweet Child O' Mine and, of course, Smoke on the Water. Didn't know any theory. I could play some songs, stuff like The Offspring, Blink 182, The Hives, The Vines, The Strokes, Nirvana, basically just power chords and simple one string solos, I had written a song or two (though they were very bad lol).
Quote by Sean0913
Aside from the immature idiots that posted before I have in this thread, it really is irrelevant, and the reason for this, is because each persons exposure, work and study habits are different. What matters is what have you learned, what are your goals, what can you improve upon, things of that nature. As long as you're enjoying the ride, that's what matters.

There are no points for how progressive you've been compared to another.

Best,

Sean

+1

you should be able to play the stuff you've been practicing - it's as simple as that.

If there's stuff you can't play then you've not been practicing it enough, not been practicing it in the right way or not been practicing it at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im coming up to my 1st year and I am 100% dedicated and a very fast learner.
Urm

5 Pentatonic Positions, Major Scales, Natural Minor Scales, Harmonic Minor Scales, Major, Minor, Dominant 7th and Minor 7th Arpeggios on 5th and 6th Strings, Major, Minor, Major 7ths, Dominant 7th's and Minor 7th's Barre Chords, Major, Minor and Dominant 7th Open Chords, Chord Progressions based on the Diatonic Chord Scale both major and relative Minors.

Theory behind somethings tho theory is taking longer to absorb. Its getting better as I get to more practical uses of theory.

But I dont know many songs. Just some Grade 4 and 5 pieces and Californication by RHCP. But I've had lots of time and am a Drummer. I've found that once you know one instrument learning others is easier. Especially if ya learn drums first because I have timing, control and rhythm down to a T. THe only thing that has required work is the left hand shapes, patterns and dexterity!
Last edited by Aappleyard at Jun 5, 2011,
well im somewhat close to where you are TS, ive been playing for like a year and a half, i guess i progress quickly because i can improvise a cool solo, know my scales, i know my open chords and barre chords, and with most chords i know, i know multiple ways to play them, including a few jazz chords like 7ths, 9ths and 6ths, and i know a good amount of theory.
But i still need to improve my rythmn guitar playing, and rythmn in general, also i need to gain a little better technique so i can play faster and need to work on fingerpicking
btw i play rock, blues, reggae, country and jazz if that helps, i hope this will give you something to compare to if thats what you're looking for, but really its about how satisfied you are with your playing
I could play stairway to heaven with one or two bad notes and crazy train riff. I can recall I've been playing for about 1.5 years now and i can play 2.30 in Black Star. I went through a 10 hour day phase during my summer holidays lol.
Personnaly I to improve rapidly whether you like him or not( You should!) practice Jimi Hendrix especially songs like voodoo Chile.
After a year I would say you should be able to:

Play power chords (duh)
Play all the minor/major chords with ease, including bar chords.
Solo around the Pentatonic scale (a few hendrix licks under the fingers), and the Minor scale too.

As mentioned above I would say Voodoo Child, Under the Bridge and Nothing Else Matter are great songs to learn. From the same artists Little Wing, Road Trippin and One are great too.
To be quite honest, I wasn't terribly good after my first year of playing. And for awhile I could only play songs that were all power chords and maybe a few with the most simplistic solos/interludes. As a result I got very frustrated and had periods in which I went months without picking up my guitar. At this point, it's been a bit over four years since I began playing, and in the past few months, I've noticed I've made a breakthrough which I will attribute to learning the blues scale. For some reason, I always put off learning scales (big mistake!). I guess if I had learned it earlier, I would've made more progress faster. Late bloomer, huh?
Quote by Bluesblitz

If you can't play like Yngwie Malmsteen x100 you're doing it wrong. That's where you should be at.
Quote by steven seagull
+1

you should be able to play the stuff you've been practicing - it's as simple as that.

If there's stuff you can't play then you've not been practicing it enough, not been practicing it in the right way or not been practicing it at all.

Once again you've managed to end up talking in circles.

You said something that made sense than wandered off into la la land
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by AlanHB
After one year I had a grasp on open chords and barre chords and was able to play chord sheets well. I could play a number of songs fluently, the rhythm parts. I hadn't even started on learning scales or attempting solos as I felt if I couldn't execute the rhythm parts there was no point.

That's where I was. But you could be different. There's no rush, but I'll always have the opinion of "can't play chords, can't play songs, can't play guitar".

I agree.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.