Hi there,

I have a schecter C1 Exotic it is mahogany, neck through with an ebony fingerboard the cirrent pickups are Super Rock II's they are decent pickups but tend to sound undefined and loose when using higher gain settings.

I am reading up on loads of pickups and the SD Custom/59 sounds like it would be what im after, which is a big sounding, yet defined metal tone. (think Gojira)

But i have to ask:

Will there be a huge difference between the stock schecter pickups and a replacement (such as some seymour duncans?)

Can I coil split any humbucker?

And finally, what pickups would you recommend?

Oh and a play through a Mesa Rec-o-verb

Thanks for any help on the matter!
Last edited by Neil27 at Jun 1, 2011,
Quote by Neil27
Hi there,

I have a schecter C1 Exotic it is mahogany, neck through with an ebony fingerboard the cirrent pickups are Super Rock II's they are decent pickups but tend to sound undefined and loose when using higher gain settings.

I am reading up on loads of pickups and the SD Custom/59 sounds like it would be what im after, which is a big sounding, yet defined metal tone. (think Gojira)

But i have to ask:

Will there be a huge difference between the stock schecter pickups and a replacement (such as some seymour duncans?)

Can I coil split any humbucker?

And finally, what pickups would you recommend?

Oh and a play through a Mesa Rec-o-verb

Thanks for any help on the matter!

they should sound better but i havent tried ur current pickups

you can only coil split 4 conductor pickups (i think, someone correct me if thats wrong)

pickups are mainly personal preference and there are a lot of choices. i suggest going to ur local shop and try out guitars with similar specs but with the pups ur thinking about getting.

for metal i like Seymour Duncan sh-8 invaders (bridge) or Bill Lawrence x500xl (bridge), Seymour Duncan sh-13 (almost the same as the bill lawrence but 40 dollars more i think)

for the neck i like the seymour duncan sh-1 59's. dont have em myself but ive played them and theyre good for solos and warm defined cleans. the sh-1 59's do come in 4 conductor model for coil splitting also

then there are active pickups but ive never installed those but you can get great metal tones with emgs and blackouts. but active pickups need batteries i believe and i think u would have to do some surgery on ur guitar to have a cavity for the battery
Last edited by ampoverload at Jun 1, 2011,
You will definitely notice a difference in sound. The impression it will make on you and your audience is entirely subjective so I can't say if it's going to be HUGE or not, but it will be noticeable. Remember, upgrade pickups to make a good tone better.

Technically, yes, but it's much easier with four conductor wiring. A quick google will teach you how to with both four conductor and traditional wiring.

I've got a Lil' 59 in my swamp ash warmoth strat with a maple neck, a tonally well-balanced guitar. It gives a great kind of 70's grind out of my Fender Blues Deluxe RI a la China Grove or Steppenwolf.

It's my impression that the '59 is pretty versatile - while it might not be perfect for metal in a so-much-gain-your-nuts-hurt kind of way, it might be great for a high on fire or mastodon kind of sound.

And you know, it's gonna cost an entire $80 bucks. If it's not perfect sell it for $50 and put it towards something else. Nothing like getting an impression for equipment like playing it. Good luck!
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by ampoverload
you can only coil split 4 conductor pickups (i think, someone correct me if thats wrong)

for metal i like Seymour Duncan sh-8 invaders (bridge) or Bill Lawrence x500xl (bridge), Seymour Duncan sh-13 (almost the same as the bill lawrence but 40 dollars more i think)

for the neck i like the seymour duncan sh-1 59's. dont have em myself but ive played them and theyre good for solos and warm defined cleans. the sh-1 59's do come in 4 conductor model for coil splitting also

Respectfully, 4 conductor makes it a whole lot easier to coil split, but all "four conductor" means is that instead of having a wire connecting both coils on a traditional humbucker that wire is left out so you can decide how you want the pick up to operate. If you want to split a traditional humbucker you can cut that wire, splice both ends and use it like a typical 4 conductor. Tricky because of how thin and brittle that wire is, but possible.

I would never use an invader. Cleans sound like rubberbands stretched over a cardboard box. Especially the Korean model, the detonator. What a piece of shit.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Quote by cds+stereo=life
Respectfully, 4 conductor makes it a whole lot easier to coil split, but all "four conductor" means is that instead of having a wire connecting both coils on a traditional humbucker that wire is left out so you can decide how you want the pick up to operate. If you want to split a traditional humbucker you can cut that wire, splice both ends and use it like a typical 4 conductor. Tricky because of how thin and brittle that wire is, but possible.

I would never use an invader. Cleans sound like rubberbands stretched over a cardboard box. Especially the Korean model, the detonator. What a piece of shit.

yeah the cleans r bad but i use neck for all my cleans. i got some pretty good metal tones form it tho. i only tried a guitar with em i dont own em tho. i love the bill lawrence in the bridge tho. bad cleans but great pinch harmonics and distortion
Thanks for the info! Any impressions on the SD Custom vs Jb or distortion?
and also for the schecter superrocks for that matter.

Any Dimarzio users, any suggestions would also be appreciated.

Cheers
Last edited by Neil27 at Jun 2, 2011,
Quote by Neil27
Thanks for the info! Any impressions on the SD Custom vs Jb or distortion?
and also for the schecter superrocks for that matter.

Any Dimarzio users, any suggestions would also be appreciated.

Cheers

sorry havent used any of those. my friend is getting the JB installed in the bridge. i will tell what he thinks of them when he gets his guitar out of the shop
Sounds like a good choice bro. JBs are pretty much the industry standard bridge pickup, but trying something a little different like the custom can yield a slightly more unique sound. I have an SH-5 custom in the bridge of my Ibanez RG1527, the thing sounds awesome, and I was surprised by how much clarity it has, considering that it has strong low mids - as does basswood
im a huge fan of dimarzio's. i have the schecter c1 hellraiser with active emg's and i love it. in the way of passives you could probably do an x2n in the bridge and an evolution or d-sonic in the neck