I'm thinking about buying a Shure SM57. I hear it's a versatile mic for recording instruments.

What I don't know is if it is worth buying it with the X2u adaptor. I want to do alot of recording through the computer with my guitar mic'd up.

Thanks guys.
It isn't a bad mic. I personally use a Sennheiser 609 Silver, but the SM57 is still a damn good mic, especially for the money.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
I have the exact same mic and the X2U just go to my profile and listen to "The sounds" i recorded everything with it.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Yeah, as someone mentioned for the same price you could get an interface, which would be much better suited to the task.
I'd suggest one of the newer model M-Audio FastTrack USB2's as they can provide phantom power, so if you ever got a condenser mic (for recording vocals, or pretty much anything else apart from electric guitar) it would power that, and it's also compatible with Protools M-Powered, should you ever decide to try protools out.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Jun 2, 2011,
I use the SM57 to record my acoustic guitar. I throw it through an Alesis multimix 8 because I play mainly acoustic instruments and just an audio interface would not suffice.

It's a great mic for the money. Does great work with vocals and acoustic instruments. Haven't tested it with anything else though... so sorry.

If you care, here's what it sounds like with my acoustic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEZKyqRaCo
Only thing I would ever use an SM57 for would be micing up a guitar amp at a gig. For anything else, it would almost always be one of my last choices.
I've been led to believe that the only real difference between the 57 and 58 is the windscreen.... So buy a 58 and take the snow cone off the top and you have a 57. Unless the internets have lied to me.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by robhc
Only thing I would ever use an SM57 for would be micing up a guitar amp at a gig. For anything else, it would almost always be one of my last choices.

Thats pretty much where it stands for me as well. Its great for micing amps and close mic'ing drum kits but for acoustics, vocals, room mics for drums and pretty much everything else you'd mic I'd use a condenser.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by JustJeff
For a $60-$90 mic, what would you use instead of an SM57?

For the same price as an SM57, I got an AT2020 for vocals and acoustic. For electric guitar and bass I would look into a ribbon mic probably, not sure for certain, I don't need to yet, so I haven't looked into it. Let the drummer sort his own shit out.
I personally don't like SM57s. They sound really 'airy' and horrible IMO. They're all right live, but for anything else, they're not nice IMO.
Quote by lockwolf
Thats pretty much where it stands for me as well. Its great for micing amps and close mic'ing drum kits but for acoustics, vocals, room mics for drums and pretty much everything else you'd mic I'd use a condenser.

I would never record screams/growls with a condenser. I'm using an SM48 for now, saving up for an SM7B.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
I would never record screams/growls with a condenser. I'm using an SM48 for now, saving up for an SM7B.

Done it, works fine. I usually run everything through a hardware limiter before but I've done it and gotten better results than with a 57 or other dynamic
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Current fav mic for screaming vocals is probably U47 (well, a U47 clone by Peluso)... condensers handle screaming perfectly.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by jpatan
I've been led to believe that the only real difference between the 57 and 58 is the windscreen.... So buy a 58 and take the snow cone off the top and you have a 57. Unless the internets have lied to me.

They are the same mic, the interwebz is not lying.