I live on the top floor of an apartment complex and got a noise complaint from my downstairs neighbor. I have a blackstar ht5 Watt amp and play it at low volumes (volume and gain at 3 or 4). Are there any simple ways to lessen sound going DOWN through the floor? Do grammar pads work for this type of thing? Any advice from apartment dwellers?
try having the least amount touching the floor.
for example, on a table with four small legs, the sound should be transmitted less

My two cents
It's NEVER Lupus
My Gear:
2010 Fender Highway One strat
2010 Epi Les Paul Standard
2005 Squier p bass
2007 Yamaha F310
2011 Epiphone Korina Firebird
2013 Hudson Telecaster
Kustom Quad 200 (4x12)
Fender frontman 212r
yeah you'll want an amp stand, platform, padding, or similar.

if the amp is physically on the floor, the downstairs neighbor will
be able to hear it at lower volumes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
+1 on getting it off the floor.

a more expensive option could be building a sound isolation cabinet.
---
I gave up and sold my HT-5 for this reason. Unless you live in a building full of deaf old ladies or noisy college students tube amps and apartments don't mix.
grammar pads should work fine. I put a book under my peavey when I lived top floor in an apartment. It worked. Band did that after getting an HOA letter. Haha.
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Depends on the building really. In some older buildings, at least 50 or 60 years old, you can just put a couple of mats on the floor and the floors should be thick enough that that is all that is needed. In really modern buildings pretty much nothing will work other than using headphones.
^ agreed. headphones. I have a small 'headphone' amp for playing at home. rehearsal space. 100w tube my friend.

if not tho amp stand bunch of pillow/blanket whatever under should help
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Jun 2, 2011,
nice^ many many hours of guitar playing in apartments and never thought of that. damn you tunnel vision lol

guitar center: hi how can I help you?
me: whats your four year return policy on amp stands.
smh
looks like you are unlucky, I got a dual recto in my apartment and I get no complaints
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
looks like you are unlucky, I got a dual recto in my apartment and I get no complaints

two foot concrete wall apartments with sound proof foam? lol....damn man good for you. you are lucky. I would be locked up.
Off the ground. Padding such as mattresses on the floor. Send your neighbour a letter bomb full of harden the **** up?
Quote by treysonpwaters
two foot concrete wall apartments with sound proof foam? lol....damn man good for you. you are lucky. I would be locked up.

haha nah, more like a neighbor who smokes weed on a daily basis. More of a "O don't complain so you better not either" kind of deal
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I have the same problem. I put a few pillows under my amp and so far no compaints yet. Most annoying thing is, is that my downstairs neightbour works nights and my favourtite time to play is early monring when he's trying to sleep.
I'd probably play with headphones on. Or you could murder everyone in your appartment?.....Just sayin'...
guys i had a 50 watt 2x12 going in my apt. bottom line is to be respectful of your neighbors and not jam at peak volume in the middle of the night. ok you won't get the full tube experience because you can't crank it but you just have to deal with that. keep the amp off the floor and keep the volume down. use an overdrive to get a decent low volume distortion sound.
You could always buy a house...

I have a regular wednesday night jam session / band practice at my house, and we're not exactly the quietest folks when we're playing. (My wife once mentioned she could hear us quite well from outside. I said that wasn't surprising, since we were playing stuff that 'needs' to be loud. She responded with "I was mowing the lawn!")

The neighbors occasionally comment on what we were playing, but thus far no complaints. Of course it helps that I have great neighbors...
Quote by megano28
haha nah, more like a neighbor who smokes weed on a daily basis. More of a "O don't complain so you better not either" kind of deal

not a bad trade off llol...

and this guy^ buy a house? for the reallz cuz? this dude is trying to make a 5w amp quiet enough for his neighbors and you say buy a house? Like if this dude could buy a house and rock a 100w full stack he would be living in a apartment with a 5w amp trying to make it quieter without buy a headphone amp? Why don't you buy an an island? then no one will ever say nothing about it. lol. i have read some dumb stuff and that is up there. NOT saying OP can't get a house lol but wtf.

edit: im gonna have a good time saying this to random complaints now tho so thank you.....Im out of gas....buy a house.....I am hungry...buy a house...hahah wtf. you are an a hole. i bet soon your wife will buy a house...with half of your money lol. douche.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Jun 4, 2011,
I take it you don't 'do' sarcasm treyson?
[post="27275574"]Gibson SG Angus Sig[/post]
I only use my amp when my neighbors are being idiotic. They have parties until 3 am with the door open, and super loud music. I have a 3 year old, and am trying to sleep myself. So for some odd reason playing Raining Blood at 10am is fine the next day (I don't care if you're hung over). I have a very loud 10 watt Park that I love, and mixed with some heavy distortion its fun. Plus the guy below us hates them and is deaf so he doesn't care. Please note I bought a small amp because I don't have a ton of storage in my apartment and we're looking at bigger amps when we get a bigger place.
Quote by Chuckoir
I take it you don't 'do' sarcasm treyson?

guess i just don't see the sarcasm in explaining your life and telling someone what to do. I doodoo sarcasm, seewhatididthere. But I guess I missed the sarcastic part or need to get better at reading peoples emotions through a text response with no sense of humour at all. Just valid points that were obviously over looked by someone (op) wanting to stop their five watt amp from being so loud.

You do sarcasm?