Ok, so I recently scored a sunburst PRS SE Singlecut Trem. I already have a Tremonti SE (which I bought in 2004 then modded with EMG 81/85s in 2006), which I've used for recording a lot lately. I was considering modding it too, but after jamming with it stock, and recording with it, I've noticed it has more of a full tone and seems to sound thicker in a mix than the EMG-loaded Tremonti. It kinda makes the 81 sound shrill and thin, kinda shitty in comparison. Has anyone else noticed something like this?? Also, what tone can I expect if I put the 85 in the bridge as well as the neck?
I don't have legit emg pickups, but I have some dragonfire rip offs. The 81 was a bit shrill so I put an 85 in the bridge of my peavey tracer and it's decent. It has a pretty low and mid tone. I kind of like it because it's a little thicker to my ears and you can easily just grab an eq or booster or something and tune it up to boost your highs and get a more leadish tone. I think James Hetfield runs an 85/60 combo with the 85 in the bridge if that helps.
Yeah i've noticed that. I've used a schecter hellraiser with 81/85 for recording for a LONG time. Then I got hold of an Ibanez 7 string w/ passive Dimarzios... so much better. I have started recording 6 string parts with it as well. The 81 sounds really dead to me now. Really, it's main advantage is to pull off Hi-gain stuff really well , which it does very well. I don't know if an 85 in the bridge would help though, honestly.
Quote by dkennedy88
Ok, so I recently scored a sunburst PRS SE Singlecut Trem. I already have a Tremonti SE (which I bought in 2004 then modded with EMG 81/85s in 2006), which I've used for recording a lot lately. I was considering modding it too, but after jamming with it stock, and recording with it, I've noticed it has more of a full tone and seems to sound thicker in a mix than the EMG-loaded Tremonti. It kinda makes the 81 sound shrill and thin, kinda shitty in comparison. Has anyone else noticed something like this?? Also, what tone can I expect if I put the 85 in the bridge as well as the neck?

that sounds about right.