hey guys,

I play rhythm guitar in a thrash metal band, so i bet you could imagine the sound i'd like to go for.

I just wanted to do some research on several amp heads from mesa boogie and have a few questions:

1) The Mark IIC+ is reputed for its "crunch", is the Mark III (green stripe model) capable of delivering the same type of voicing?

2) What are the general differences between the Mark series and the Rectifier Series?

Thanks
Last edited by rayven1lk at Jun 2, 2011,
cant answer your first question but the mark series and rectifeir series are compeltly different. just 2 entirely different amps. go listen to the two, both sound amazing but theyre really different
hey sean,

yeah i can imagine....any idea of describing what the difference in sound is? i know this might be a difficult to answer but give it a shot if u can i guess....i'd really like to hear it in person but i just don kno any stores around my area that stock boogies
Mark- Ferrarri
Recto- Tank.

Simple.

The Mark is a smoother and middier amp, with more clarity. Great for shredding and smooth liquid solos.
The Recto is a harsh sounding, thick, "scooped" amp. Greath for chuggah chuggah rhythm.

Both can do either, but the Mark's forte is solo's and the Recto is a monster for rhythm.

Listen to Dream Theater's "In The Presence Of Enemies".
Mesa Mark IV
And then listen to the same artists "The Glass Prison".
Dual Recto.
A Recto definitely is not scooped in the slightest. It's got a ton of everything.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
the mark 3 has a very raw, in your face tone. it can definitely do thrash tones.

The mark series amps are tight and focused. the rectos are mosre big and open sounding. Most people say rectos are very loose, but that is kind of a relative term, as i have heard some recto tones i would consider tight.

I think each series will do what you need, it just depends on what you like better
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Ignite
Nice analogy. I also like this one:

Mark - sniper rifle
Recto - Shot gun

I used a similar one to a guy who was tied between a Mark V and a Roadster only I said machine gun

@MAtx:

Compared to a Mark, it does sound kinda scooped. Marks are very middy.....at least they sound middy to my ears
They are, right?
Yes, a Mark is very middy. But a Recto is also very middy. Both have a ton of bass available and a ton of mids. The Recto just has less upper mids and more lower mids which can lead to it sounding boomy. This is also why the Mark sounds more "aggressive".
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
awesome guys...thanks for giving me a prespective...i live in flushing new york, anyone know some stores where i might be able to check out these amps? and what do u guys think is a good cabinet to accompany the mark III?
I think you need to read up on the differences between the Mark IIIs

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

Awesome analogy GS.

Budget Rayven? Otherwise Mills Acoustics Afterburner
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.