So im learning a small lick from SRV's cold shot.
My teacher says to keep my hand strumming up and down consistantly through almost a full bar of muted notes and at the end of the bar there are two barre chords.
When i play the last chord, I always emphasize the chord and it throws my picking hand out of its fluid constant strumming. I really dunno what to do about it.
I can sit there and strum rythym forever until i try to end the lick.

Edit: made a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPEsLFGG8hE
Man that looks awful.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Jun 2, 2011,
have you tried to play this real slow yet?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Oh yes. At incredibly slow speeds. I think someones jedi mind raping me. Lol.
Like seriously. I just tried like 50x again at like 1 strum per second it still throws me off for some odd reason.
hmmmm..... try just the end of the lick? thats the best I can come up with....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Seems like your mind is locked into changing the strumming on the last notes. You need to have the hand on the frets stop messing with your strumming hand, they need to remain separate in your thinking. Try playing a few bars of strumming up and down then at random intervals introduce those last notes; hopefully this will help keep your strumming constant while adding different notes.
Quote by NFusion
Seems like your mind is locked into changing the strumming on the last notes. You need to have the hand on the frets stop messing with your strumming hand, they need to remain separate in your thinking. Try playing a few bars of strumming up and down then at random intervals introduce those last notes; hopefully this will help keep your strumming constant while adding different notes.

I have tried this. I will continue trying though. Its really bugging me I cant do something so basic. Even tapping my foot and saying out loud 1 and e and ahh and 2 and e and ahh...
I still screw it up. I'll try more this afternoon and see how it goes.
SRV uses a real tasty swing throughout that tune.

I think you might try to get the right hand movement first .. play along with the track several times muting all the strings and just strumming out that shuffle rhythm.

Go back and play it -- but KEEP TIME. If you miss something, don't stop -- keep that shuffle swing going on the right hand.

Keep practicing, it'll come to you.
I have. I'll play the rythym like 20x before trying to add in these two chords. Then it goes to hell.
Quote by DimebagZappa
I have. I'll play the rythym like 20x before trying to add in these two chords. Then it goes to hell.

So mute them and keep playing.

Focus on keeping time ... learn that so that your muscles just know it.

THen come back to the left hand .. practice grabbing the chord shape, letting go and grabbing it again ... it take time to get these things drilled into muscle memory.
Quote by zincabopataurio
I don't hear a metronome....

is that a tv i hear in the background?

My knee is my metronome. Teacher told me not to use one until I can play just tappin my knee.
Yes thats a tv. Was a hasty video.
Here's an idea, try just strumming on the downbeats and ignore the upstrokes for the moment, really focus on getting that part down. Once you've got that down try adding in the upstrokes again and still focus on the downbeats and downstrokes, that should sort it I reckon.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^^Interesting thought. ^^ I will attempt this.
Wow man. Playing at snails pace I am seeing improvement really focusing on that downstroke beat. Your good. My teacher didnt even say how to go about fixing this.
Seriously thanks man. I can see this is gonna work with a bit more effort!
Edit again: once again at snail pace i've worked in the upstroke really emphasizing and focusing on the 'and' part of '1 and e and ahh.' But at the same time making sure to hit that mute again on the 'e'. It really is working.
I think i was playing the 'and' note between 'and' and 'e', then playing catchup.
Although I'm not a teacher myself (so you can ignore this if you want, I'm just pointing something out), but I think it's crucial to use a metronome to develop a good sense of rhythm. In your video you rhythm was off in almost the entire video (especially before you strum the chords). Why don't you play with a metronome while tapping your knee?

Also, I hope you don't practice guitar with the tv on on a regular basis, you're not going to be focused entirely on guitar.

I don't know how to play the song, but I'm pretty sure you're strumming too fast for the muted parts, which is why you slow down for the chord strumming part.
To tell ya the truth, i have no idea how to use my metronome.
Its An app called Tempo Adv.(anced) and its got so many damn settings it confuses me.
Should I set it to one bpb (beat per bar?) and 4 spb (i dunno wtf that means)?
When set to this a circle of four notes comes up and emphasizes the first note.
But when i play it like this and try and count the one and e and ah thing it dosent line up.
I guess cuz theres only 3 downstrokes. (1, e, ah.)
So set it to one bpb and 3spb? The count works but it says the song is in 2/4 timing??...
Damn im confused.
And I usually play with headphones on with no distractions.

Edit. Im ditching the one and e and ah for one and two and three and four. I think i was playing the bars short by one upstroke and downstroke. But nonetheless that metronome is like foreign to me.
But one and two and three and four and one... I set my metro to Like 50 and it seems really quick. So i think im f&&&ed up.
So in 2/4 timing theres still four main notes in the circle, but it has two secondary dots that light up every four notes. So do i count the 'and' between the notes? Or do i count the notes as numbers and the 'and'?
Because if i do it #'s and the & on each note by the time i reach 'one' again its on the first dot again.
Confusing.
You know what. F$$$ it. It has four notes. I'll call em whatever the hell I want.
I think i got it tho. 2/4 means that theres 8 quarter notes per bar, split into 2 groups of four by the beat that accents the first note in each group of 4? Am i right?

Btw so sorry for three posts in a row. But if not one post would be like 5 edits and a page long!
You should ask your teacher this, if he's a good teacher he should be able to fully explain this to you much better than I will.
Quote by zincabopataurio
You should ask your teacher this, if he's a good teacher he should be able to fully explain this to you much better than I will.

Ive asked him like five times. He keeps saying that I can keep the beat myself with my knee and counting. And that its the same damn thing just with an annoying beep or tick.
I usually bob my head and tab my foot and he says I can keep time.
I just screw up occassionally and i just need to keep playing to get better.

And although this may sound stupid as a metronome is perfect, he is the lead in a pretty kick ass country rock band and produces albums for a couple bands in the area.
So I pretty well shutup about that, because I trust his judgement and I see him playing in time every lesson.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Ive asked him like five times. He keeps saying that I can keep the beat myself with my knee and counting. And that its the same damn thing just with an annoying beep or tick.
I usually bob my head and tab my foot and he says I can keep time.
I just screw up occassionally and i just need to keep playing to get better.

And although this may sound stupid as a metronome is perfect, he is the lead in a pretty kick ass country rock band and produces albums for a couple bands in the area.
So I pretty well shutup about that, because I trust his judgement and I see him playing in time every lesson.

not really the same since you have to focus on using your knee and you need to focus on keeping time, but with the metronome you dont. also a metronome gives you perfect time, but when you are counting yourself, your timeing will fluxuate.

as for your teacher, his time may not really change just because he's been doing it for so long that he's almost become perfect at timing. also lead doesn't require anywhere near as much timing as rhythm does, especially when writing originals. the timing on the rhythm neads to be pretty much perfect to keep time for the lead guitar.

trust me man, use a metronome, you are not perfect at counting and, no offence, but your teacher has no idea how to teach if he thinks that everyone else can tap their foot and keep perfect metronome-like timing.....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Quote by DimebagZappa
^^Interesting thought. ^^ I will attempt this.
Wow man. Playing at snails pace I am seeing improvement really focusing on that downstroke beat. Your good. My teacher didnt even say how to go about fixing this.
Seriously thanks man. I can see this is gonna work with a bit more effort!
Edit again: once again at snail pace i've worked in the upstroke really emphasizing and focusing on the 'and' part of '1 and e and ahh.' But at the same time making sure to hit that mute again on the 'e'. It really is working.
I think i was playing the 'and' note between 'and' and 'e', then playing catchup.

Awesome stuff, glad to know it's working out I thought the problem probably was that you were concentrating too much on either the strumming or the change at the end of the bar, by forcing yourself to think more about where the downbeat is in the measure the problem is pretty easily sorted.

I would also disagree with your teacher about keeping time yourself: if you're concentrating on learning something then adding in the idea of keeping time yourself is just crazy, why would you add more things to think about when you're already doing something that's kind of hard?

Keeping time if you're playing or jamming alone or once you have a highly developed sense of rhythm is fine but if you're still trying to pick that up and then add learning on top of it... nah, recipe for disaster right there.

Also, if your metronome app or whatever is confusing you... go to www.metronomeonline.com
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 3, 2011,
Ha. You answered my next question before I had a chance to ask it. Well played.

Edit 2: Still have another...
So the song in GP is in 2/4 @ 110bpm.
The metronome plays 4 ticks/ bar. So i count one & two.... Blah so i get the 8 notes per bar between the #'s and &'s. (adding the &'s in between actual ticks)

So i set my metronome to 2/4 and 110 and count the same and i get tick overload.
I set it to 55 bpm and it keeps time with my count.

Wtf is that?

Edit 3...

Arghh. Just used the UG tools app metronome. It kept time perfectly with the count. Im scrapping that other stupid app.

Thanks guys.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Jun 3, 2011,