So I asked one of my friends who played bass for a short while in a band (switching back to guitar for another band, which he has been playing for 4 years), if he had any gear I could buy off him.

Well, he mentioned to me he had this Yamaha B100 115, but the speaker was blown. I wonder how much it would cost to fix this. Can any guess a ball park figure? Music shops are closed right now.

The speaker is a 15''.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Anywhere from $75.00 to $200.00, depending on how much you want to spend on a replacement.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Damn, just for the speaker?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Any decent 15" bass speaker is going to run at lest $75.00. That will get you a decent Eminence 15" speaker. The better ones - more power handling; more responsive and better tone, can go as high as $200.00. You already blew one speaker. If you go cheaper, you'll probably end up right back here looking for another one.
$75 will get me a decent one? I was going to assume it would be pretty bad.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Not at all. The Eminence Legend series can be found for around $75.00 and they are very nice. The Basslite is better, but more expensive. Carvin offers a couple of good bass speakers in that same price range, including a Neo 15" for $120.00.
How do I match up the right speaker for the right amp?
Quote by smirnoff_black
Find out how many ohms your amp is. I believe the B100 combo is 8 ohms, but make sure. Then get a speaker rated for the same ohms. You're set.
Hm, I wonder. I'd be paying $100 for the amp as it is. Then roughly $100 to get it repaired. Seems like an okay bargain... not sure though.
Quote by smirnoff_black
I would be very wary of buying an amp with a blown speaker. It suggests the amp was not well taken care of. The Yamaha B-series amps were good, but if it is the amp I am thinking of, it was probably made in the 1980s. If so, it has been around for quite a while. You might want to look for something intact before you go with a fixer-upper.
This is true. My friend was pretty easy going about it. We're going up the local music shop to get it checked out. He said no pressure on the offer, to just consider it.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Yamaha use Eminence drive units in their PA speakers, they may well use them in their bass amps especially if it was made in USA, they may even have used a Legend. If the cab is ported you need an exact match or you'll have to re tune the cab, sealed is easier but still not all speakers work in all boxes so beware of spending $200 on a unit you won't be able to hear.

If you want to know a bit more try this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/cabinets_for_guitars.html

You might get more help on BassChat where there are a few speaker experts.

I'd suggest you should tell your mate to get the amp fixed and you'll buy it off him at an agreed price if it sounds good. There might be more than one fault after all.
Took it into the shop, The only problem was indeed the blown speaker. They fixed it for $60 with an Eminence speaker. Paid $100 for the amp from my friend. Total investment, $160.

Sounds awesome too.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy it!