Hello, UG. I've been using this site for a while now. Tabs, opinions, etc., but I finally signed up. Anyway, I've been playing guitar since August '10, so about 10 months or so. I'm playing Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold, and the main verse is a barre chord across 3, and then chugging. With single note picking, my hand looks completely normal, and I totally use my wrist, but when it comes to chugging teh br00talz, I use more of my forearm, which makes my arm look like it's having a seizure when I come to a fast section. I just can't seem to keep my elbow completely still while doing this. I've had three teachers point this out to me, and it's starting to frustrate me. I have my first guitar recital on Sunday, and I was hoping to fix my "strumming with the whole arm" psyche before then. If anyone has any tips as to how I can keep my elbow still, and use more motion in my wrist, that would be greatly appreciated.
hm. when i get into frustrating situations with my guitar i do it like this:

put guitar down, go outside for a minute or two, drink a glass of cold water, go back to guitar, now you are bit more relaxed, set metronome on slow, and play what you want to learn as slow and relaxed as possible, that does it for me.

just clear your mind, concentrate and then slowly approach the problem.

try looking at good youtube covers of "Nightmare"

oo, and your elbow probably cant be totally still while strummings or it would look like chokin the bishop from your wrist , lol.

have a nice day
Last edited by sweep456 at Jun 2, 2011,
It takes a bit to get use to strumming without your elbow.
I say you finish up your recital then you can clean up your technique. Just start off strumming with you wrist slowly, then work your way up.

If you have seen the video already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkeyHyIgqvY
thatll help with how to strum, Freepower ftw!
And watch his other videos they help tremendously as well! Good luck mate

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Thanks everybody for the tips. I'll definitely be practicing with my wrist slowly. Much appreciated