Hey guys, I was wondering, the past 8 months or so, i've been really into psychedelic music. Stuff like anywhere from tame impala, to mgmt, to older shit like jefferson airplane, pink floyd, hendrx, blue cheer, beatles etc. Now, I love this style, and I am in the midst of starting my own psychedelic band. Problem is, I am a metal player previously, and don't know how to write in this style. ANyone wanna school me on writing psychedelic stuff? also, another thing, to me, there are two types of things being psychedelic; there is the specific genre of psychedelic rock, and there is alsoa psychedelic kind of vibe or atmosphere. I want to know how to do both. so like how do i write in a 60s psych style and how do i create that vibe? what chords, scales etc?
thanks
Effects are a big part of creating psychedelia. Delay, reverb, wah, and maybe phaser and fuzz are essential. A Strat or Les Paul work well. As for scales, psychedelic music was always improvised while high. So just smoke a lot of weed and jam with buddies.
lots of effects. little gain plus heavy chorus, delay, reverb, wah, phaser, flange etc.

you can also use heavy distortion, but really lower the volume. to the point where its almost just a texture in the background.

a great way to get the chords and scales for a certian genre, learn about 5-10 songs from that genre and figure out the scales and chords used, and that will give you a great idea of where to go. good luck!!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
okay i understand the getting high and improvising/effects part, but what about musically? like what makes *insert psych song here* psychedelic?
Quote by AzureNight
. So just smoke a lot of weed and jam with buddies.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!!!

Lol you cant just learn some scales and then automaticly make trippy music.You got to feel the music and the vibe.

Learn how to feel man,technique and scales wont help.

also try effects like delay and shit.

peace.
Mainly the ambiance of them. They're all really chilled out so don't go on a note playing frenzy.

And yes, Mary Jane does help with this. In fact ... I'm gonna for some high jamming right now.
damn i wish i could still get high haha that would help me... but i don't wanna be dependent on cannabis to make trippy music, i wanna make it sober too.
Quote by Tame Impala
damn i wish i could still get high haha that would help me... but i don't wanna be dependent on cannabis to make trippy music, i wanna make it sober too.

I'm not sure if this is how it works.. especially not in the '60s. It really was a major influence so you can emulate it sober, but to make original, organic psychedelic music similar to that made then, you have to live a similar lifestyle. This is impossible as we don't live in the same culture. No matter what you do, you won't make music the same as it was then. If you do, it won't be original. Whether you like it or not you're going to incorporate your own influences. There's nothing wrong with that - that's how new genres are born.
Quote by xStIcKsxStOnEd

Learn how to feel man,technique and scales wont help.

yeah man you should also not use your hands or instruments man learn how to feel so hard that music just happens........

but seriously, pink floyd is definately one of the most popular psychedelic bands out there and scale and technique are heavily relied upon. most of their songs fit almost perfectly with in a scale with some occasional accidentals and most of the solos use very good clean technique.

also for those of you who say you need drugs, that is just not true. I find it 100x easier to write trippy/ psychedelic songs and progressions when I'm stone cold sober. when ever I get wasted all I end up writing is heavy violent souinding metal riffs. infact alot of artists say they were high when they write things because for some strange reason people find that more impressive...

TS like I said before learn a few songs that you really like (prefeerably from as many artists as you can) and figurewhat chords and scales they normaly use (infact you'll see that this is true for all genres). good luck and keep rockin!!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
It's one of those things that you just need to figure out for yourself man.
the early psych music - doors-country joe-jimi etc - were fairly simple folk/blues based songs with simple chords and scale tone solos..so major/minor/pent scales cover most of what you want..not much "outside playing" .. the attitude is what your looking for to come out in the music...of course the context of the music was connected with the time it was written...a time machine may help...even if get to the feel of the attitude..you may have listeners that have no context to put it in...

play well

wolf
If you're going for a pink floyd type sound, david gilmour used a lot of maj7, min7, and normal triad chords. He just loaded em up with a heaping amount of univibe, delay, and reverb. Let the notes of the chords all ring into one another. Make the chord changes dissonant, but always have a solid blue/rock/folk foundation. As for solos, less is more. Think pentatonics and some diatonic scales. Gilmour liked natural minor and dorian and phrygian for example. Basically man, just keep things simple, but really get down with originality in song writing and effects.
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Quote by liampje
Actually the only way to write psychadelica good is to smoke weed and write what you see.

i'm surprised nobody looked at this like "wtf," u don't see different shit on weed, you only hallucinate if u smoke like ur body weight of it haha. good ol' psychedelic rock is usually written on different drugs but u can write the same type of music sober, don't be a junkie and die just because u thought it would make u a better musician
^
Whenever I get high and listen to music it does put some kind of picture in my head, like a mental picture.
Quote by TMVATDI
i'm surprised nobody looked at this like "wtf," u don't see different shit on weed, you only hallucinate if u smoke like ur body weight of it haha. good ol' psychedelic rock is usually written on different drugs but u can write the same type of music sober, don't be a junkie and die just because u thought it would make u a better musician

I don't smoke weed anymore, but I didn't see anything either. Despite that there is research that around 5% who smoke it do have some forms of hallucinations.

Basically the songs I wrote involved 2 or 3 chords over and over again, and I'd stop playing when the fretboard felt too rough or sticky. Not my fav drug that's for sure. It ended at the same time as high school.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I don't smoke weed anymore, but I didn't see anything either. Despite that there is research that around 5% who smoke it do have some forms of hallucinations.

Basically the songs I wrote involved 2 or 3 chords over and over again, and I'd stop playing when the fretboard felt too rough or sticky. Not my fav drug that's for sure. It ended at the same time as high school.

haha nice, i've tried it a few times and so far it seems kinda pointless. i do plan to listen to all of pink floyd's albums from stat to finish high as **** tho, just gotta fix my speakers, complete my pink floyd collection, and get a ton of weed. i do believe you can go overboard with it, its smarter not to smoke it at all.

i'm not sure if i write better or worse when high....the first time, my lyrics were definitely crazy, my brain was working fast and i yelled weird lyrics to my friend, his boyfriend, and his mom, and they said "woah...thats actually pretty good..." then i wrote guitar parts with no fear of how people would percieve them, so they turned out great. i never tried writing high again, i'm not into the same shit anymore, i'd only write stuff that's too weird for me if i was high, these days i'm more into grateful dead, phish, the band, ryan adams (and the cardinals), jimi hendrix, yes, pink floyd, slightly less weird stuff than before when i would spend all day locked in my room shaking the neighborhood with the mars volta. its odd that when i finally found the key to writing that kind of music, i had just gotten bored of it.
Quote by Tame Impala
pink floyd whilst stoned was pretty awesome

so i'm thinkin this is a good idea? :p
Ok, for the guitar you should try some effects as well as bending notes and holding them. After all, psychedelic music is all about the mood, and if you overdo it you can seriously mess up the mood.

Also, try and get a keyboard player, the trippier the better.
damnit i love tame impala i wanna do exactly what they're doing... but i don't wanna be a copy cat band, i wanna do something new.
A rotary speaker is your greatest friend here =3 seriously... add in some delays, wah/auto-filter, reverb and a leslie and your set. To make it more interesting/unique you could use a "world/folk" instrument like a kora running through your fx chain or you could just be lazy and use an electric piano or guitar.